Bob James

Jazz Kat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still love all Mangione's music. The Feels So Good album is actually quite good, for me. Journey To A Raimbow has got some nice tunes on it. It's his late 80's stuff that I loathe.

Here is a photo of a young beboper Mangione from Noal Cohen's website ( Noal on Drums ):

|cmhouse.jpg

Chuck could play real bebop trumpet.

.... and write some beautiful melodies ( Belavia ) and arangements ( Hill Where the Lord Hides) .

Edited by marcello

I have saxophone students come to me and when I ask them who they're into I hear that they like (shudder) Kenny G. After I stifle my gag reflex,

Sorry. Can't resist ....

http://www.thedeadkennygs.com/

And these cats can play. Skerik and Dillon ... can you say sick ?

Don't look at the t-shirt ... that is, unless hearing one bar from Kenny makes you puke up your stomach, intestines, liver, kidneys, spleen, colon, etc.

Then you might find yourself actually appreciating it .... as I somehow strangely did.

Edited by johnagrandy

• 11 months later...

There is a Bob James-Eric Dolphy connection.

Many years back, Blue Note released a collection of Dolphy tracks called Other Aspects. Among the tracks was "Jim Crow," recorded with an unidentified counter-tenor and piano/bass/drums. Turns out the piano trio was the Bob James trio and the track was actually a Bob James composition called "A Personal Statement." http://www.semja.org/dec99/index.html

Dolphy, the trio and eight french horns also performed a great Dolphy composition called "Strength and Unity" (sometimes referred to as "Strength with Unity"). It sounds not unlike Dolphy's "In the Blues." The tune is at http://adale.org/Discographies/LateED.html

• 1 year later...

The Bob James albums I've got enjoyment from are not on CTI, but ESP and Mercury, both from the 60s. No Steve Gadd anywhere on those, but Barre Phillips is on the former.

Yeah, I know Bob James, but I totally agree with CT here. Do not dismiss his ESP and Mercury date. I just picked up both recently and these are worthwhile listens. I'm enjoying both, if not the ESP more, quite a bit!

• 7 years later...

Bump.

I just ordered a few Bob James albums from Amazon Japan. Looks like most of his seventies and early eighties stuff has been reissued in a 1000 yen type way (anyway, 2015 release date and they're in that price range but i'm not sure with regards to remasters or other details or what 'series' they're officially part of). Yeah there's probably smarter things to spend my money on but what the hell. The new releases i want to get are still a month or so off and i've got money burning a hole in my pocket. I've always wanted to get Touchdown, and the price is right and i figured i throw a few other albums in so it wouldn't be lonely in my collection (Lucky 7 and two albums with Earl Klugh, the one with the matches on the cover and the one with the playing cards on the cover).

In selecting the albums that i wanted to get along with Touchdown i did quite a bit of listening to individual tracks on Youtube, Allmusic samples and what i could find on Spotify. So, not a Bob James expert by any stretch but it definitely strikes me that in general there's one or two tracks that i really dig per album and the rest is not so enjoyable. Frustratingly quite a lot of his songs start cool but then the bell-bottoms/Love Boat descends. What i've heard of Touchdown and Lucky 7 i really dig though, and the two early albums with Klugh as well.

Chris, I definitely share your feelings re: Bob. For me, liking only a few tracks doesn't justify me buying an album, I just skip it altogether, if I don't enjoy listening to it. Now, there are some albums that are intentionally bad "Blue Note Live at the Roxy", and "Blue Note Meets the L.A. Philharmonic" I just have to represent the bad years of BN. I have a good friend who loves Bob James' CTI albums and some others I think, and for me, I don't feel the James CTI discs hold up. "Touchdown" was a record we had when I was a child, and I never liked it then, and don't like it now. I recently went back to YT to hear a bit and I really didn't dig it. As far as the CTI stuff theres only a handful of albums after 1974 that I really dig, though I do think James contributed great arrangements to "Inner City Blues" and "Soul Box". "Explosions" is a cool record.

Edited by CJ Shearn

When I was working at a jazz record store in the late seventies, the hot albums were Touchdown, Mangione's Feels So Good, Spyrogyra's Morning Dance, Jeff Lorber's Soft Space, and Earl Klugh's Magic In Your Eyes. I have a soft spot in my heart for all of these, they remind me of a time and place.

When I was working at a jazz record store in the late seventies, the hot albums were Touchdown, Mangione's Feels So Good, Spyrogyra's Morning Dance, Jeff Lorber's Soft Space, and Earl Klugh's Magic In Your Eyes. I have a soft spot in my heart for all of these, they remind me of a time and place.

Earl's "Living Inside Your Love" does for me, the only album of his I ever liked, that I grew up with, of course there was the "real" stuff too like the Jimmy Smith records in our house my mom gave me, but I did like that Klugh album. I used to own it on CD when it was reissued for the 2nd time domestically 10 years back? But after listening a few times I got rid of it, there's not enough stuff there to keep me interested in my life now. For a lot of the hip hop fans though, they have a higher opinion of these albums than we do, it's all about the grooves.

Earl's "Living Inside Your Love" does for me, the only album of his I ever liked, that I grew up with, of course there was the "real" stuff too like the Jimmy Smith records in our house my mom gave me, but I did like that Klugh album. I used to own it on CD when it was reissued for the 2nd time domestically 10 years back? But after listening a few times I got rid of it, there's not enough stuff there to keep me interested in my life now. For a lot of the hip hop fans though, they have a higher opinion of these albums than we do, it's all about the grooves.

My soft spots for the 70's commercial stuff include(d) John Klemmer 'Touch", Ronnie Laws 'Pressure Sensitive' and especially Gato Barbieri 'Caliente'.

I liked some of the Chuck Mangione stuff as a kid too. "Pressure Sensitive", ha! You have to admit on "Blue Note Live at the Roxy" the version of "Captain Midnight" is worth it because Ronnie's solo goes into unsafe territory. Shared that with an old teacher of mine who is a sax player and he couldn't believe Ronnie was going so out in the solo.

I will never listen to artist who has this for one of his album covers.

I only just noticed that his finger is apparently inserted in to the heel of her foot. Foxie!

The James albums i mentioned ordering went from being 'usually available in 7-11 days' to 'temporarily out of stock'. Still wouldn't mind having them but the fever had passed so i ended up cancelling my order and just created a new order for 'Two of a Kind' (non-2015 edition) only and some other random albums by other artists.

I think I remember saying somewhere he got tired of playing bebop, didn't really feel the avant- thing, and had a genuine liking for pop-sounds. I don't fault him for that, although I do think he trapped himself into a formula sooner than he needed to, although, it's his money, not mine. But considering how open and interesting a lot of pop was in the late-60s/early 70s, I'd not rule out his interest being creative/financial in a tighter ratio than might be cynically ascribed.