Dizzy Gillespie/Gil Fuller

sheldonm

I heard a tune called "Man from Monterey" from a cd called Dizzy Gillespie w/ Gil Fuller and the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra. I can't seem to locate this cd or even find any reference to it. I love the tune and would like to hear more; anyone know of it???

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

Has the Fuller/Moody PJ side been similarly reissued?

The Gillespie/Fuller side is one of the first jazz albums I ever bought, back in the very early 70s. Found it in the legenday (to me, anyway...) Treasure City cutout bins for 99 cents or some such as part of the massive Liberty Catalog Purge of a few years earlier (still not sure if that was a contributing factor or not, but there were PJ, BN, WP, etc. sides out the wazoo in this joint, many of them for under a buck).

It's good and all, but I'll still take the "vintage" collaborations in a heartbeat or less.

• 6 months later...

i have a mint copy of this gil fuller monterey title that i would trade for something of equal rarity.

-e-

I picked this up some time ago...should have closed this thread some time ago.....once I had one reasonable offer, I had many.

Thanks,

Mark

The Dizzy Big Band in Berlin smokes the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra, imho. The Fuller albums are on the short-side swinging instrumental showcases. Dizzy's solo in that arrangement of "Groovin' High," and Moody's flute in a 2 and a half minute long "Tin Tin Deo" get right to the point. No shuckin'. Concise. Authentic big band bebop. It makes me want to pull out Art Blakey and James Moody "New Sounds" on Blue Note and hear Fuller and Moody together in the 40's.

We have a Pacific Jazz lp called "Night Flight," Gil Fuller/James Moody & The Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra, and this is a re-issue: there's no personnel listings, just the tunes and a photo of Moody and Fuller standing in what looks like an airport terminal. The label is sky blue with a giant wave breaking over the spindle hole, ready to soak it.

Geek Time...

Those of you who have the LP, what kind of label does your copy have? Mine's blue with silver lettering. And it's mono. Wondering if there were any variants to that label for the stereo and/or later pressings (if there were any).

Mine is black with silver lettering. On the disc is says " Hi Fidelity Pacific Jazz " - PJ-93. At the bottom is: (M-1000). No date.

• 13 years later...

Very, very old news at this point, but since I'm listening to it right now, thought I'd mention for anybody who's interested that the Gil Fuller albums with Gillespie and Moody were combined into one CD and reissued by Blue Note in 2008:

Dizzy Gillespie and James Moody with Gil Fuller and the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra

Really enjoying Dizzy's playing so far on this one (he's on tracks 1-8, Moody on 9-20)

Edited by ghost of miles