Coltrane At The Half Note

Cali

Has this been discussed here?

Yesterday I saw an advance copy. Saw it, smelled it, touched it. Projected release date is December '05. It's a double cd, recorded "live", featuring the classic quartet. It consists of eight tracks. I don't remember all of the titles but I do remember seeing "One Up, One Down" and a 22 minute version of "Afro-Blue".

I was told that the cd has superior audio. Also, according to the people who showed it to me, the performances exceed the upcoming Trane and Monk at Carnegie Hall cd. :excited:

Am I late reporting this???

Edited by Cali

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I saw an advance copy. Saw it, smelled it, touched it. Projected release date is December '05. It's a double cd, recorded "live", featuring the classic quartet. It consists of eight tracks. I don't remember all of the titles but I do remember seeing "One Up, One Down" and a 22 minute version of "Afro-Blue".

I was told that the cd has superior audio. Also, according to the people who showed it to me, the performances exceed the upcoming Trane and Monk at Carnegie Hall cd.  :excited:

We have at least two or three threads discussing this release. I haven't heard the Monk & Trane release so I can't compare, but the Half Note (not Five Spot) material is worthy of all the superlatives it gets. Too bad Verve isn't releasing all the material.

Guy

I was told that the cd has superior audio. Also, according to the people who showed it to me, the performances exceed the upcoming Trane and Monk at Carnegie Hall cd.  :excited:

If you love Coltrane no matter the period, then some may prefer the Half Note material, all of which emanates, I believe (since I've had much of this broadcast material on tape for many years) from the spring of '65. Coltrane's sound in that time is far different than the Coltrane who was a sideman for Monk and playing the latter's music in the fall of '57. I suspect quite a few here will give more play to the collaboration with Monk in the days and years ahead.

I don't want to discuss if it's better then this or better then that. Just one question: Is it all unrealesed Trane's music? If your answear will be: Yes, I will get it, no matter who will get my money!  :excited:

1) All of the stuff being released has never been issued officially, though it has widely circulated in bootleg form.

2) This release only includes about 1/2 of the circulating Half Note material.

Guy

Just one question: Is it all unrealesed Trane's music?

The answer is no! It's been released before on various bootlegs including the 3LP box 'John Coltrane Quartet Live at the Half Note' which was issued in 1984 by Audiofidelity. With some more material.

Let's wait to find out how much better the sound might be!

Edited by brownie

I don't want to discuss if it's better then this or better then that. Just one question: Is it all unrealesed Trane's music? If your answear will be: Yes, I will get it, no matter who will get my money!  :excited:

1) All of the stuff being released has never been issued officially, though it has widely circulated in bootleg form.

2) This release only includes about 1/2 of the circulating Half Note material.

Guy

So the major risk could be that one day of 2007 I will have to buy a 'complete half note'.

I can do it. :cool:

Just one question: Is it all unrealesed Trane's music?

The answer is no! It's been released before on various bootlegs including the 3LP box 'John Coltrane Quartet Live at the Half Note' which was issued in 1984 by Audiofidelity. With some more material.

Let's wait to find out how much better the sound might be!

Agreed. Any volunteer?

Listening to this now (bootleg version) and all I can say is that it's a shame that Verve is releasing only half of this material on two CDs instead of all of it - which would fit on 3 CDs.  This is amazing stuff!

There are 8 tracks, 4 of which are announcements, so the two music tracks per CD must be pretty long? There are no track timings at the online retailers ...

Chim Chim Cheree 19:37 John Coltrane Half Note 3/19/65

Impressions 20:55 John Coltrane Half Note 3/19/65

One Up, One Down 28:13 John Coltrane Half Note 3/26/65

I Want to Talk About You 12:40 John Coltrane Half Note 3/26/65

announcement 1:07 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65

untitled original (AKA: Creation) 23:27 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65

I Want to Talk About You 15:42 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65

Afro Blue 6:21 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65 Jazz

Song of Praise 20:55 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65 100 Jazz

My Favorite Things 23:51 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65 Jazz

Cool... making me even more interested.. even though I already preordered this...

:excited::excited:

Afro Blue 6:21 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65  Jazz

Song of Praise 20:55 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65 100  Jazz

My Favorite Things 23:51 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65  Jazz

Cool... making me even more interested.. even though I already preordered this...

:excited:  :excited:

Afro Blue 6:21 John Coltrane Half Note 4/2/65  Jazz

Song of Praise 20:55 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65 100  Jazz

My Favorite Things 23:51 John Coltrane Half Note 5/7/65  Jazz

Don't get TOO excited, only half of this material is on the Verve set, and the best performance (Creation) will remain available only in bootleg form. Still, it's worth getting somewhat excited, with the caveat of a middle finger aimed in Verve's direction.

Guy

I got a cheasy John Coltrane Live at the Half Note for my birthday one year. I believe it had Brazilia and Alabama on it. Poor recording quality. One of those un-known label names like Fast Track Records for example. I can't play it, the sounds just too bad.

Brazilia and Alabama weren't performed at the Half Note.

Guy

John Coltrane, Live at the Half Note

Delta Entertaiment Corporation copyright 2000.

1. I Want to Talk About You

2. Brazilia

3. Song of Praise

4. One Up, One Down

I have the same CD. The track called "Brazilia" is in fact "Song of Praise", and identical to #3 (except one of the two has about 30 seconds chopped off from the beginning).

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

From the Ravi Coltrane interview on the release of the Half Note material on Impulse in The New York Times today:

Mr. Coltrane first encountered the tapes that became the album "One Down, One Up" in 1991, in a closet in his mother's house. He has been angling for their release for 10 years, since the revival of the Impulse! label; the Verve Music Group, the label's corporate parent for seven of those years, has included some of Mr. Coltrane's smaller finds as bonus tracks on reissued CD's and will probably continue to do so.

It is evident that Ravi Coltrane is more interested in getting money out of the family's jewels than in providing his father's music to fans. I have spent enough money on purchasing the originals, then the reissue with a couple of additional tracks, then the re-reissue with the additional alternates.

I won't spend money on this Impulse issue and will keep enjoying the much more complete bootleg material I have from Trane at the Half Note.

To hell with Ravi :angry:

John Coltrane, Live at the Half Note

Delta Entertaiment Corporation copyright 2000.

1. I Want to Talk About You

2. Brazilia

3. Song of Praise

4. One Up, One Down

I have the same CD. The track called "Brazilia" is in fact "Song of Praise", and identical to #3 (except one of the two has about 30 seconds chopped off from the beginning).

Guy

Be aware that this cd is getting a re-release next month. I think they're going to hope people pick up the wrong one.