Coltrane At The Half Note

Cali

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIC, it is earth-shattering, like the 1960 Paris gig w/Miles, only bumped up another notch or six. I mean, you got motherfuckers in the audience (a NYC audience at that) SCREAMING, it's so intense.

Mileages may vary on that, though, I'll admit. For some, it might well be too intense. But imo, this material comes as close to capturing the "ecstasy" that we so often read about in contemporaneous reviews of Trane's live gigs as any recordings that I've heard so far.

Edited by JSngry

The more I hear about this release, the more I think I'll save my 20 bucks.  I'm sure there's some great stuff on there, but to be honest, I think I have plenty of Trane and unless it's earth-shattering, I think I'll just put on one of the 20 Trane CDs I already have...

You only have 20??? :lol:;)

Goddammit, Jim, I wasn't going to get this.

I _really_ wasn't going to get this. I've bought too much this fall already!

But then you had to go and compare it to Paris.

Shee-it. Screaming? Sold.

AFAIC, it is earth-shattering, like the 1960 Paris gig w/Miles, only bumped up another notch or six. I mean, you got motherfuckers in the audience (a NYC audience at that) SCREAMING, it's so intense.

Mileages may vary on that, though, I'll admit. For some, it might well be too intense. But imo, this material comes as close to capturing the "ecstasy" that we so often read about in contemporaneous reviews of Trane's live gigs as any recordings that I've heard so far.

I posted what follows in the "Jazz in Print" forum and I can't figure out how to transfer it:

I picked this up yesterday and I find the sound quality to be very good, superior to the recent Monk/Trane and Parker/Gillespie live recordings. There are some glitches - I think the word is "drop-outs" - in one or both channels, at least on the famous One Down, One Up ("ODOU") track.

My big issue is that maybe the build up for this release is too much, because while I think the band sounds great, I have a hard time accepting that so many think that ODOU, clocking in at over 20 minutes, is the greatest or even one of the greatest Trane solos.

Upon just an initial listen, I felt the ghost of Miles Davis whispering in my ear "just take the horn out of your mouth Trane."

Just my two cents.

Goddammit, Jim, I wasn't going to get this.

I _really_ wasn't going to get this.  I've bought too much this fall already!

But then you had to go and compare it to Paris. 

Shee-it.  Screaming?  Sold.

DAMMIT, ditto. I was going to wait until my funds were in order. But after reading that, I'm picking this up today (along with Jackie Mac's CONSEQUENCE). :angry: