LF - Jerry Newman

The following are Xanadu lps - don't know if any made it to cd.

107 Joe Guy & Hot Lips Page "Trumpet Battle At Mintons"

112 "Harlem Odyssey" w/Billie Holiday, Jack Teagarden, Art Tatum, etc

123 "Sweets, Lips & Lots of Jazz" w/Edison, Page and Eldridge

186 Roy Eldridge "At Jerry Newman's"

a quich search does not show any of these on cd. RATS! :rcry

I could kick myself for not knowing exactly where they are, but, some 40 years ago, I had the original acetate discs for all the Newman recordings we know of. I carefully transferred them to 15 i.p.s. full-track tape, played most of them on the air, and--as I recall--gave them back to the person who brought them to me. I can't recall who that was, but it was someone with direct connection to Jerry Newman (who was no longer with us, of course).

As to what happened to my tapes, I think they are in Denmark. I shipped many of my tapes to Karl Knudsen (Storyville), not for release but to have them carefully indexed and--when needed--dubbed onto new tape.

I could kick myself for not knowing exactly where they are, but, some 40 years ago, I had the original acetate discs for all the Newman recordings we know of. I carefully transferred them to 15 i.p.s. full-track tape, played most of them on the air, and--as I recall--gave them back to the person who brought them to me. I can't recall who that was, but it was someone with direct connection to Jerry Newman (who was no longer with us, of course).

As to what happened to my tapes, I think they are in Denmark. I shipped many of my tapes to Karl Knudsen (Storyville), not for release but to have them carefully indexed and--when needed--dubbed onto new tape.

ouch!!! :rcry:rcry:rcry

um chris, perhaps a call to karl is in order? :w

Jerry Newman also recorded Sonny Berman's 'Beautiful Jewish Music' (with Al Cohn, Earl Swope, Serge Chaloff, Don Lamond, etc...) a jam session that took place at his home. It was issued on Onyx. Don't know if it ever was released on CD.

yes, this wonderful session is original on an esoteric lp (i think newman´s own label, because i have an al haig session on esoteric records reissued on fresh sound cd from 1954 and there it´s written "recorded in the esoteric studios, new york city by jerry newman") and another one on "period" also recorded by newman. -- sonny berman is on cool & blue cd 111 (switzerland) from 1993 and maybe long oop.

there are also two cd´s on "high note" (hcd 7066 and hcd 7082) with charlie ventura and bill harris live at the three deuces 1947 with the wonderful dave tough on drums recorded by jerry newman "on location". very fine music!

i wonder where are the archives from people like jerry newman (minton´s), bob andrews (west coast), boris rose (ny radio) and timme rosenkrantz (jam sessions) are now located?? anybody knows something about that? are there any discographies avaiable about that historical recordings?

keep boppin´

marcel

Jerry Newman also recorded Sonny Berman's 'Beautiful Jewish Music' (with Al Cohn, Earl Swope, Serge Chaloff, Don Lamond, etc...) a jam session that took place at his home. It was issued on Onyx. Don't know if it ever was released on CD.

i wonder where are the archives from people like jerry newman (minton´s), bob andrews (west coast), boris rose (ny radio) and timme rosenkrantz (jam sessions) are now located?? anybody knows something about that? are there any discographies avaiable about that historical recordings?

I don't know what eventually happened to Boris Rose's enormous collection of acetates and tapes, but in September of 2001 (that fateful week) when Karl Knudsen (Storyville) was staying with me, he was in touch with Boris's estate (either his widow or daughter) and the collection was still an un-catalogued mess., As I recall, the apartment had to be vacated in 2001, so I think the object at that time was to somehow move everything (tons of airchecks) safely. When I was with Riverside, in 1960, Bill Grauer sent me to Boris's apartment in search of Fats Navarro material, so I have a good idea of how hopeless that task must have been 40 years later!

As for Timme (my old roommate) I think his recordings are well preserved in Denmark, thanks to the work of trumpeter-turned-archivist Arnvid Meyer. When we shared an apartment, Timme had but a few of his recordings around, but there was great stuff there. I remember especially some Don Byas and Sir Charles Thompson sessions, the latter very informal and from Brooklyn.

thanks christiern, chuck nessa and michael fitzgerald for your informations!

good to know that this historical archives are not gone forever and maybe sometimes new items will come to light and will be issued. this people were in the right times at the right places.

thanks again.

keep boppin´

marcel