Spyware

CWShredder is a good program. Try that one, Moose and Rooster. There is another one called "Hijack" that I can send each of you once I get home. I'm in Daytona right now and will be home Thursday.

It's not as user friendly as the other programs. Basically it gives you a list of items and you have to decide which one to get rid of and which not to. Some of them are programs that Windows needs and you'll be screwed if you get rid of them... so it's not for the novice.

If you'd like, you can use the program (don't try to find it on the web... you're likely to download another virus! I'll email it to both of you when I get back home on Wednesday) and then email me the list it gives you and I can tell you what to get rid of. That program helped me get a worm off my computer that my anti-virus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot couldn't touch.

Let me know.

I'm on T1 at work and I get pop ups even though I'm not signed onto the internet. I get the spyware ones a lot. IT came and cleaned up a lot of the mess but I'm still getting them. Sometimes I get surf control windows instead of our homepage when I sign onto the internet. It all started when I was taking some spelling test or some darn thing while playing here at O and jumping on some link or other. I think I was being punished for goofing off. B)

I use Zone Alarm Pro at home and so far haven't been "hit" with any of these nasty little spyware programs, the pop up blocker seems to get almost everything.

I was over at my Uncle's house this weekend, and his computer is just rampant with these...you can hardly even use the internet at all because the spyware is taking up all the resources.

I use Zone Alarm Pro at home and so far haven't been "hit" with any of these nasty little spyware programs, the pop up blocker seems to get almost everything.

I was over at my Uncle's house this weekend, and his computer is just rampant with these...you can hardly even use the internet at all because the spyware is taking up all the resources.

I did the same thing with my pop's computer, and Ad-Aware 6 found 106 objects. Holy Crap! :blink: The system resource drain almost made the machine unusable.

I will second the rec for CWS shredder. That thing takes about seven seconds to run, and clears things up.

Thanks Joe and Gary,

I'll check those resources out today (this morning, probably), for sure!!

(And I'm glad to see my work-around still works!!)

Rooster, sorry to hear of your troubles! It seems these bastards are getting more clever than ever...I had a virus called Downloader JU that McAfee couldn't quarantine or delete...kept popping up sometimes denying me to open up my cd player! So, I tried system restore (I have Windows XP) and it didn't work...scanned my computer for viruses..none found! I update McAfee several times a week. Ran Spybot, Ad-Aware...didn't seem to help...so did a google search and read that system restore is where this little bastard hides so you have to disable system restore, then run the anti-virus software...it still didn't find a virus, but I don't have that damn virus pop-up every 10 minutes....

They're watching you Berigan..... :ph34r:

I'm just an average man with an average life

I work from nine to five, hey, hell, I pay the price

All I want is to be left alone in my average home

But why do I always feel like I'm in the twilight zone

I always feel like somebody's watching me

Who's playing tricks on me

When I come home at night

I bolt the door real tight

People call me on the phone, I'm trying to avoid

But can the people on TV see me or am I just paranoid

When I'm in the shower I'm afraid to wash my hair

Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there

People say I'm crazy, just a little touched

But maybe showers remind me of Psycho too much

That's why...

Tell me it can't be

(instrumental)

I don't know anymore

Are the neighbors watching me

Well is the mailman watching me

And I don't feel safe anymore, oh what a mess

I wonder who's watching me now--- (BOOO!) -The IRS?

I can't enjoy my tea!

I dont know if this is anything to be excited about, but as I read it I remembered this thread

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tc_cmp/22100633

Nearly one in three computers scanned by EarthLink and Webroot in their second monthly SpyAudit were found infected with a Trojan horse or system monitor planted by spyware, the two companies said.

Internet service provider EarthLink and Webroot, a message security software maker, scanned over 420,000 PCs during April, and found nearly 134,000 Trojans or systems monitors.

So far this year, the SpyAudit has detected over 500,000 Trojans and system monitors out of the roughly 1.5 million machines scanned. The revised numbers also showed a slight decrease in the average number of pieces of spyware per system from March to April. Scans done in April detected 26.9 spyware programs or components per machine, while March's scans found 29.9 on average. The year-to-date average is 27.5 pieces per system.

EarthLink and Webroot define spyware as any application or software that's placed on the user's machine without his or her authorization, said an EarthLink spokesman, including adware, adware cookies -- typically planted to track your surfing habits for marketing and advertising purposes -- Trojans, and system monitors. The best-known monitors are "key loggers," software that traps every keystroke, including usernames, passwords, and critical financial information like credit card numbers, then passes them along to hackers.

"Consumers should be aware of the applications and files residing and running on their machines," Matt Cobb, EarthLink's vice president of core applications, said in a statement Wednesday. "When users discover spyware, they need to take action to immediately immobilize or remove the programs," Cobb added.

"SpyAudit's popularity shows that consumers want to find out what's on their computers," said David Moll, the chief executive officer of Webroot, in another statement. "Based on the overwhelming number of spyware traces identified in just four months, we urge consumers to run an audit as soon as possible to determine if they have spyware on their PCs and then take action to manage it."

Spyware has been attracting attention primarily because of the risk of identity theft and subsequent online fraud. Earlier this week, Gartner released a report that estimated total checking account fraud -- much of it due to a combination of spyware and phishing attacks -- took cost American banks and consumers $2.4 billion in the last 12 months.

"Viruses we all understand," Moll said. "It's a $15 billion business, but in the end it's more vandalism than anything. Spyware has a lot of commonality with viruses, but one of the differences is the financial motive behind spyware."

And spyware isn't just a home user problem, said Moll. "The average amount of spyware [on business machines] is no less than outside the corporation. One of the problems is that people think that they're safer at work, that the company is diligent in maintaining defenses. But that only gives a false sense of security," he added, since most enterprises don't have anti-spyware protections in place.

A pair of vendors have recently introduced solutions to address the problem in enterprises. Last week, both PestPatrol and Webroot rolled out server-client software that lets administrators seek and destroy spyware on their networks' desktops.

According to Moll, Webroot will add the SpyAudit technology to its Spy Sweeper Enterprise solution in the near future, giving IT administrators the ability to do a snapshot of their networks' spyware status.

The EarthLink/Webroot SpyAudit results can be viewed on the EarthLink Web site. Webroot's free SpyAudit tool detects spyware, while EarthLink subscribers can use its Spyware Blocker to find and disable spyware.