Lee Morgan: The Last Session

Cliff Englewood

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Date and Live at the Lighthouse make clear how much of a crying shame it is that Lee died when and how he did...but on the other hand if it's really true that BN was planning to pair him with the Mizell bros., well i won't say it's just as well but I really dislike their stuff and not because I don't like funk/groove (as those of you who got my blindfold test well know) but precisely because I do dig natural funk/groove..to me there's nothing more grotesque than fake funk. End of rant. Back on topic, Last Sessions? Hell yeah!

"Lee Morgan" came out when I was an undergraduate at Cal State Northridge and it was a musical staple for me back then.

By the time the CD, "The Last Session", came out, I had been long-parted from the LP. So I didn't notice, at first, the editing of Roy Brooks's spacey solo, but it was a part of the original vibe that I miss. So keep your LP.

I heard Roy Brooks play his saw within Mboom. That was cool too.

Roy Brooks is not on this album.

The liner credits Freddie Waits for drums and recorder; Reggie Workman for acoustic bass and percussion. Since Jymie Merritt's electric Ampeg bass is still heard, I always concluded it was Reggie Workman playing the musical saw solo ...

Edited by mikeweil

i love "croquet ballet" though i don't know if this performance is better than on billy harper's debut album.  less fiery but more soloists i guess.

Speaking of "Croquet Ballet" what the hell is that underwater and emerge thing that Lee does on his solo? It kills me everytime I hear it. Sometimes with the remote I play it over and over. I never tire of it.

Roy Brooks is not on this album.

Brooks just got into the thread because of the saw solos, not because anyone thought he was on this disc. Freddie Waits is a terrific drummer! I wish he was on more sixties BN releases! Love his playig wherever he pops up! A favourite: Bobby Jones' "Hill Country Suite" album on Enja.

Oh, and: Hi Mike! Long time no see!

This one is definitely worth having, I only felt that the last track, "Inner Passions Out" was a bit sloppy, the rest is excellent.

I couldn't help but think of Woody Shaw while listening to this, not necessarily from Morgan's playing, just the whole vibe of the session.

So, in summing up, this one is,

Morgan's moody, moving, melancholy, minor masterpiece.

:D:D:D

• 1 year later...

This CD arrived in the mail yesterday....an amazing session! All the more poignant because it really does feel as though Morgan was finding a way to extend the hard bop idiom in fascinating ways. Like Joe Henderson's Power to the People, this music feels very contemporary (70ish, that is) while at the same deeply rooted. My first impressions, anyway, after spinning this CD all day while driving in the car.

Spinning this one now (online peer pressure is a great thing) and all I can say is...HELL YEAH!

This might be one of those discs that I got that never made it out of my "to be played pile"...I've lost quite a few into that void over the years. Man, where have I been? It's going to be in my "to be played frequently pile" for awhile! :excited:

• 10 years later...

I find myself listening to this one quite a bit.  Lee plays his ass off and the tunes are nice too.  Definitely not "in the solid hard bop camp".  As mentioned earlier, it really is a group date - plenty of solo room for all.  Just makes you wonder what else he could have done.

On 7/14/2007 at 7:03 AM, mikeweil said:

Every time I pull this CD I get mad that Bob Belden mixed out the saw solo ..... Glad I kept the LP!

I don't think I've ever heard that saw solo before, though it vaguely rings a bell. Is there a version uploaded to YouTube by any chance?  (I can't remember which tune it's in, let alone where in the tune it falls.)