Lee Morgan: The Last Session

Cliff Englewood

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!

opinions differ on this one, but to me it is one of the bestestest ever. It features a bunch of long winded tunes with excellent soloing by all involved. Lee himself isn't prominent here, it is a true group effort with all taking equal places. Recorded in 1971, it has electric bass and electric piano and that may put some off. Although I am not a fan of electric bass, it works real well here. Most likely because the entire concept of the music is somehow different. This is not your regular hardbop date, but rather a peek at something new on the horizon. Something not quite finished, but damn fantastic. The group dynamics are spectacular with all kinds of mutual propelling, bouncing off, kicking into gear, breaking, turning and prodding.

Try and find some online samples to test the general waters of sound and atmosphere. Chances are that if you like it, you will like it a lot. I know I do!

Yeah .....not one of his best I would admit.......but as a dyed in the wool blue note stamp collector this took me years to find and so was pleased to get the lp ...then the cd

Double so as I sold the lp for more than I paid for it and had enough to buy the cd :D

BTW I do like Capra Black a hell of a lot........dunno why but I do ...the worst one for me on the lp is Inner Passions...but that is only my take

I would also advise a listen online or email me for more details

:)

andy@bleaden.freeserve.co.uk

Well I went out at lunch before any replies were posted and bought it anyway :D:D:D , as it was only €9.99.

I've seen it before a couple of times and was curious, but could never find any decent reviews.

But with a "I like it. A lot.", a "Yes", a "YES!!!" including a "one of the bestestest ever" and a "Yeah", I don't think I can go too far wrong.

Judging by couw's review though I think I'll like it as I do not suffer allergic reactions where Electic instrument are concerned.

Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Yes, that is one of my favorite of Lee Morgan's records - "Lee is Free," indeed. It does show a vibe that would become more solid with records on Strata-East, Tribe and the like in a few years, but it's a little ragtag here and more exploratory. "Capra Black" is a motherfucker of a tune, to say the least.

:tup

I'm another one weighing in with a :tup for this one.

It feels very much like a 'transtitional' kind of album; of course, we were denied the outcome of that transition. It certainly suggests, if not jazz-rock, a sort of electric-modal hard bop. Not to everyone's tastes, granted, but Lee still sounds like Lee and Billy Harper is well worth a listen.

I recently got the 3CD Live at the Lighthouse set which is also very good. Further proof that Lee was not content to rest on his laurels. Bennie Maupin is smokin' too.

I'm another one weighing in with a  :tup for this one.

It feels very much like a 'transtitional' kind of album; of course, we were denied the outcome of that transition. It certainly suggests, if not jazz-rock, a sort of electric-modal hard bop. Not to everyone's tastes, granted, but Lee still sounds like Lee and Billy Harper is well worth a listen.

I recently got the 3CD Live at the Lighthouse set which is also very good. Further proof that Lee was not content to rest on his laurels. Bennie Maupin is smokin' too.

Agree with all of the above.

I LOVE this session, although interestingly (I think Jsngry pointed this out) they removed the "saw" that someone was playing on one track for the CD mix!

:rfr

Yes, there is only a faint impression left of that saw. The piano solo settles into an all too repetitive pattern on "In What Direction..." and there it is. Weird this was silenced.