Marc Johnson

sal

I got it after seeing a couple of those reviews, and was prepared to be disappointed. After several listens, I must say that I think it's a great album. Nice compositions, and everyone involved plays beautifully. Eliane Elias is very impressive, and Lovano, Scofield and Joey Baron play with a beautiful, unhurried maturity that I find most rewarding.

Just picked this one up using the Borders coupon, and I must agree with the comments above, as well as all the positive word circulating through the jazz world. After one spin, I can say that is one of my favorites of the year so far. I was completely unfamiliar with Elaine Elias...what a player! She dominates this music. Sco and Lovano contribute beautifuly, and Joey Baron turns in another typically great performance. The album is recorded beautifuly, and the compositons are all very interesting. Kudos to Marc Johnson, and to ECM who have been turning out some fantastic albums this year.

I got it after seeing a couple of those reviews, and was prepared to be disappointed.  After several listens, I must say that I think it's a great album.  Nice compositions, and everyone involved plays beautifully. Eliane Elias is very impressive, and Lovano, Scofield and Joey Baron play with a beautiful, unhurried maturity that I find most rewarding.

What Frank said. :tup

I have to add my kudos for this cd, too. I bought it because of the recommendations of this thread and I'm glad I did.

I've always been a fan of Eliane Elias's work from her time in Steps Ahead, but I think she reaches a new level here. Lovano, who usally runs hot and cold for me, is solid here as are the rest.

This is one of my favorites of the year.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a very downbeat record. It is, like all, Shades of Jade. If not exactly monochromatic, seen through a lens of that colour. I always imagined it had something to do with the vibe of America (liberal that is) at that moment. But, to be honest, I found it hard even though the last track is exquisite and the playing seems of a high quality.

In that regard, I preferred his earlier "Sound of Summer Running" which mixes the melancholy with a great healthy blend of sun - Jeez, his titles really do seem to tell you something - I think that's a truly beautiful record.

Yup, too downbeat for me.

Simon Weil