Monk/Coltrane vs Bird/Diz

Dan Gould

Which one describes you?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've really been blessed by the discovery and release of two of the most significant "finds" the jazz world has seen, probably ever.

So, this has to be a very tough call. :)

Maybe the best way to think of the issue of "favorite" is to imagine you truly are allowed only one desert island disc, the Bird-Diz or the Monk-Coltrane. Which one do you take along?

I do suggest thinking long and hard about this one, if you choose to participate. I'm kind of suspecting that #4 may win, but I do think that either way, most people will see the Bird-Diz as the most important.

Edited by Dan Gould

Wow. I think the sound quality is so good on the Bird/Diz and it is somehow just seeming more significant to me (early date for bebop, CHARLIE AND DIZ AND MAX AND SID, etc.) that I had no choice but to choose the second option. Plus, though this really isn't supposed to matter in the poll I guess, I feel this little diligent label Uptown showed them ALL how it should be done.

I love the Carnegie Hall, don't mistake me. MONK! Monk as good as it gets!

*edited out a spelling error

Edited by jazzbo

I think both are significant and for the time period of the Bird/Diz Town Hall concert, the sound is excellent. I am grateful to have both and can't say I love one more than the other, but I do love both and realize the significance of both.

I do feel bad that the Bird/Diz Town Hall concert doesn't have the same "machine" type of marketing behind it that the Monk Coltrane does, but what finds and how lucky we are to have two of them this year. Let's hope there are more to come in 2006!

Marla

Can't pick one over the other and just gave the Coltrane/Monk its first spin this morning. I may lean towards the Gillespie/Bird based on the crazy way it came about; could have easily ended up in the garbage. Unbelieveable that we came to get both these recordings this year and I've got to wonder what is still out there. By far the two most important releases of the year (and probably next year! ^_^ ).

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

I refuse to vote.  Why does one recording have to be "better" than another?  They are both great, and both essential.

Yes, one is better than the other. Didn't you know Bird and Diz suck. And so does Monk and Trane. Matter of fact, we should all just buy the new Jessica Simpson CD and be done with it. :cool:

Gonna hold off voting yet...

I've had a couple of months to live with the Bird/Diz set while the Monk/Trane is still fresh.

As far as 'importance' goes... it'll probably be the Bird/Diz. The Monk/Trane album sheds new light on the progress of these two obviously influencial musicians, but the Bird/Diz helps define a whole genre and one that still remains the touchstone for anyone who plays or listens to this music.

Besides, what are my chances of being trapped on a desert island anyway?

Maybe the best way to think of the issue of "favorite" is to imagine you truly are allowed only one desert island disc, the Bird-Diz or the Monk-Coltrane.  Which one do you take along?

If I'm on a desert island it will make no difference which one I have since all I'll be doing with it is using the shiny side to signal for help. 1099856780_1649718075.gif

I'm not sure this poll means much to me, but what I do find interesting is how much happened in the 12 short years between the two. For context, look where we were in 1993 and "how far" we have come since :huh:

Edited by Eric

I had thought of this this morning before I saw this thread and for me it's Diz Bird hands down. Bop was still in the process of development whereas although Coltrane might have been in the development of his sound his music wasn't. Plus, while this is a great find somehow I've heard it many a time from Monk and Charlie Rouse. To me, the Town Hall concert is much fresher and newer.

Love them both however.

BTW, what is this fund drive Dan and GOM are doing. Haven't been on the board too much lately so I may have missed something.

I can't really choose one over the other. They're both great finds, great music, and sound good enough considering the recording limitations in each situation. The Bird/Diz may have slightly more historic significance...birth of bebop and all. But I enjoy them equally.

So far:

histortical signficance - Parker/Diz  - 19-9

I like it better - Coltrane/Monk - 16-12

Makes sense, I suppose.  But it is AMAZING to have them both!!!

I figured Parker-Diz would win historical significance. Might be different on a Coltrane discussion board though!