Monk/Coltrane vs Bird/Diz

Dan Gould

Which one describes you?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should we have an option for "I don't care either way?" I can't choose...

That being said, there was something really "fairytale" exciting about the Bird/Diz set... it didn't hurt that the Uptown release was a more grassroots project, goaded forward by the mutual enthusiasm of hardcore jazzbos. The Monk/Coltrane release just didn't have that--the whole project seems rife with marketing design and timely, self-propelled buzz. This doesn't affect the music of course... but the Uptown release was a fan baby. Just a little more fun--and inspiring, I guess.

That being said, I'm a sucker for Monktrane, so...

BTW, what is this fund drive Dan and GOM are doing.  Haven't been on the board too much lately so I may have missed something.

We're collecting money for stressed-out Bosox and Yankee fans in need of psychological and "recreational" counseling. :cool:

Actually, my NPR station is gearing up for fund-drive, and our jazz director is trying to choose between the two for our premium "thank-you gift." That's why I was intrigued by this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If there was a recording of Monk at age 16 playing "'Round Midnight" one could say it was as significant as the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet with Charlie Parker at Town Hall discovery. Without question the Bird and Diz IS the record of the year. And the Monk Quartet with Trane at Carnegie Hall is a close second. What a great year (for Beethoven, too).

If there was a recording of Monk at age 16 playing "'Round Midnight" one could say it was as significant as the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet with Charlie Parker at Town Hall discovery. Without question the Bird and Diz IS the record of the year. And the Monk Quartet with Trane at Carnegie Hall is a close second. What a great year (for Beethoven, too).

Indeed. But I'm still waiting those lost manuscripts of the completed 10th, 11th, and 12th symphonies to be uncovered.

Maybe not so "significant" but this was a pretty nice discovery/surprise:

g67049orp6x.jpg

Bird and Dizz were definately more important to the creation of bebop. First of all, Trane wasn't with Monk that long, compared to how long Bird and Dizzy were together. But I love that Carnegie Hall concert. I think if Bird lived longer, he would of made some better quality recordings with the advance of recording technology, and I would like their stuff more than Monk and Trane's recordings.