Miles Davis - '58 Sessions

Aggie87

I have a couple of questions about this album - I know some of it is music from Jazz Track, and some of it is from Jazz at the Plaza. Are the studio tunes available in CD format on any other release (not counting the Miles/Trane box)? Or is this sort of a "lost" Miles/Trane session that really isn't available elsewhere on a single disc (preferably remastered)? If this is the only place it's available, how is the sound on this "Columbia Jazz Masterpiece"?

I have all of the other Miles/Trane studio recordings (I think), so I don't want to spring for the box set just for these 4 recordings, if they're otherwise unavailable.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by Aggie87

I don't know about this session being available elsewhere, but I do know that those studio selections are sublime. Love For Sale is definitive, IMO. Adderly shines here (Evans and Miles, too). And Coltrane on Stella... you just have to hear it. Sound is decent enough, probably could be improved.

If you check out Peter Losin's Miles Ahead website Claude posted, you'll find the SME (Japan) Mastersound Edition of '58 Sessions. Has the original sleeve (kinda bizarre looking; also viewable I think on that website).

I have this and it's a great sounding 20bit SBM mini-lp cd. I would perhaps consider a trade for a JRVG I don't have... :rolleyes:

Edited by Parkertown

All of the 58 studio and most of th Jazz plaza session were on a US Sony Legacy CD from the early nineties called I think "Stella by starlight - 58 sessions" or something like that. Not sure if this is still available

The studio sessions are amongst my favourite miles sessions which is saying something!!!

One little discographical note about the '58 sessions CD: As with some other releases in the 'Columbia Jazz Masterpieces' series, there was some kind of mixup, this time when assembling the 'Stella by Starlight' cut. It was a composite take, and if I remember correctly the wrong first half was used for the 1991 CD release, so that in fact this particular version is not available anywhere else, not even on the Miles/Coltrane box set. I'm beginning to get used to the occasional surprise when upgrading my 'Jazz Masterpieces' CDs. Earlier this year it was 'Miles Ahead'...

The original "Stella" on Jazztrack was a combination of takes 3 & 7 and that's what's in the box set. Miles '58 has take 7 complete. I think Miles '58 is now out of print but I still see unopened copies in stores as well as lots of used ones. (Eric, if you can't find it anywhere I'll send you one.)

Like the Teo Macero version of "Miles Ahead" I guess this is going to become a rarity.

Thanks for the offer, medjuck (and welcome to the board!). I ended up purchasing this one locally a few days ago (used, but in good condition), and have been happy with it. It was mostly below my radar screen for a long time, but I finally convinced myself it was worth investigating, to get that last bit of studio Trane/Miles that I was lacking.

These "oddball" Miles releases (Quiet Nights to name another) are interesting, and don't seem to get as much recognition as other titles, but often have some very interesting, worthwhile music contained within, that gets missed by alot of folks.

And I'm still debating whether to "upgrade" my version of Ascenseur pour l'echafaud from the "Jazz in Paris" version to the Fontana.

Thanks,

Erik