Some more vinyl questions!

Alexander Hawkins

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can definitely be time consuming, but if you can make silk from a snake's belly, its worth it! The worst I've ever spent was averaging nearly a half hour per track (fortunately side 2 was much much better) and that is the time when you seriously start rethinking whether or not its worth it.

On the other hand, having a decent copy that just has maybe ten or 15 clicks per side-you can clean that up in no time at all and really enjoy the result, so I generally spend the time cleaning up every album that I burn to CD. The vast majority are take maybe 30 minutes per side to do, and that includes the 17 or 20 minutes of listening in order to find the pops.

I sometimes record from vinyl onto mini-disc. Tried declicking, but it was boring.

If you have a mini-disc player I can send you some rarities, provided I get a copy of the cleaned-up product.:)

On a side-note, when you record on mini-disc, there's no 16 or 24 or whatever bits. You get the raw product. It's sort of like a reel-to-reel. Just very small.

records2.jpg

I've got one... :) Seriously, do you want help with some cleanups, Dmitry? Some people would of course claim that the ATRAC compression of the MiniDisc format will degrade the sound (just like MP3s the format is based on data reduction), so the ideal choice would be to just burn the LPs on a CDR burner - preferrably on rewritable CDRWs, then let someone do the cleanup and finally burn the music once again. But I can attest to that perfectly decent results can be had through the LP>MD>CD procedure as well.