AOTW October 9- 15

Free For All

ROY!............................HAYNES!

c47959m07s8.jpg

I felt we needed to feature some Roland Kirk, and after some contemplation I chose this one, recorded in May of 1962. Some great Kirk to be sure, but the star is definitely Roy Haynes. The rhythm section (w/Tommy Flanagan and Henry Grimes) swings way hard, and Haynes' solos and breaks are perfection. From the opening of Moon Ray (where the piano and bass hint at Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade) to the beautiful ballad Some Other Spring (which was a unique and great way to end the side) where Kirk sounds very Trane-ish there is not a dull moment on this recording. Great arrangements, great playing by all.

Haynes contributes three originals, the up-tempo Raoul, the medium tempo Snap Crackle (which he sets up with eight perfect bars of time after the declamatory introduction) and the burner Long Wharf.

Kirk definitely gets to do his thing on tenor, manzello, stritch and various flutes. Flanagan is tasty in both comping and soloing, and Grimes and Haynes hook up well. And it's beautifully recorded.

If you haven't heard this one, I can recommend it without reservation. At 37 or so minutes there's a LOT of music here.

A beautiful album. Rahsaan didn't do nearly as many sideman dates as I would have liked, but this one stands for posterity. Haynes gets in some tasty licks, Grimes is rock solid, and Flanagan is in excellent form. The repertoire is excellent, too. This is one of those hard bop dates that just simmers with energy, passion unhinged but truly disciplined.

Rahsaan is the real hero for me, though. Like Eric Dolphy, he has the power to elevate, embolden, and intensify even the most banal of circumstances; throw him into a potent pot, and the stew just cooks. Even today, all the histrionics and wild antics belie the sheer power and heart in his playing. I'm up in Berkeley right now, and even the so-called "hip" set isn't all that hip to Rahsaan... too out there, by reputation. But, as "Out of the Afternoon" clearly shows, Rokirk could move mountains stationary--all by blowing. Check out Some Other Spring for some remarkably restrained blowing... that cat had soul.

Some great memories of this date... when I was a little younger, I made my mom a mix of some jazz tracks (I'm a first generation musician, so it's reverse indoctrination)... threw Fly Me to the Moon on there. Man, that mix is still in my mom's car. I whistle along to Rahsaan's solo whenever I'm back in town...

Bright moments.

Very, VERY well put. You said it MUCH better than I did. Thanks!

And beyond my praise for Roy Haynes, don't let me understate how much I love Kirk on this side. He's the main reason I chose this one, it's just that after revisiting this recording I realized how great Haynes played. Great music. Timeless.

Rahsaan didn't do nearly as many sideman dates as I would have liked

Agreed. I think RK and Monk would have been interesting. RK and Ornette? RK and Jackie McLean? RK and Sonny Rollins(probably 60s Sonny)? RK and Herbie Nichols? RK and Andrew Hill? So many possibilities.

So besides this one, there were appearances with Mingus, Quincy Jones, Jaki Byard, Jack McDuff and a one-off with Eddie Baccus. Are there some other sideman appearances beyond those?

Edited for spelling clams

Edited by Free For All

So besides this one, there were appearances with Mingus, Quincy Jones, Jaki Byard, Jack McDuff and a one-off with Eddie Baccus. Are there some other sideman appearances beyond those?

There's Tubby Hayes and then The Jazz Corps. And didn't he sit in with Stitt once?

Edited by couw

There's Tubby Hayes and then The Jazz Corps. And didn't he sit in with Stitt once?

There was that live date with the Mothers of Invention... oh, and that tape of Rahsaan and Jimi Hendrix (never to see the light of day... heard it didn't do either of them justice, anyhow).

Just got this today and listened to it. A fine, swinging CD, which I will revisit for some more spins tomorrow. On first listen "Raoul" is my favorite track.

Nice sounding recording too. There's some "space" between the instruments yet it sounds tight, too. Not quite as "up front" or "in your face" as many Van Gelder recordings (though maybe I've been listening to too many RVG's lately).

Wonderful album. Good balance between Kirk (up and out) and Haynes (sideways elasticity), with the solid piano/bass at center. I think this album is a prime example of Kirk's straight musicality - he plays a handful of his best solos here, IMHO.

The cover photo has always begged captions in my mind:

"Honey, the Roy Haynes Quartet is here again!"

"Well, offer them something to drink! I'll help 'em set up."

I've listened to this CD six more times since my initial spin. Hey, it's only 37 min. per spin and when it ends, it leaves you hanging, and feeling like there should be more. But I've really warmed up to this recording. It always takes me a bit of time to get used to Kirk's sound, but when I do, I realize what a brilliant musician he was. No question, this is a great album.

I presume the great cover photo was taken outside of the Van Gelder studio. Wonder if it's still like that there or whether the green woods have been taken over by urban sprawl? Not that I'm a tree hugger, but that's a lovely setting. A real loss if it's gone.

The cover photo has always begged captions in my mind:

"Honey, the Roy Haynes Quartet is here again!"

"Well, offer them something to drink! I'll help 'em set up."

What IS the deal with that cover photo? Was that RVG's backyard? Goofy photo. Sounds like your wife is quite obliging, Evonce.

Very good but not great album. Might've been better with at least one more horn (even though Kirk's a section in and of himself). I agree with those above who say that it's kind of short. Roy Haynes really drums the f**k out of the material here, though. And if the Manzello is essentially the same instrument as the soprano sax, as the liner notes would have it (and it sounds like it is to my ears), then Kirk should very emphatically be included in the ranks of top-rank soprano players (he sounds more at home to me on the recalcitrant horn than, say, Coltrane, f'rinstance).

I hate to say it, but not a classic. Glad I own it, though.

• 2 weeks later...