I Hate that little strip of tape.....

sheldonm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes industry, time to move on. I guess the strip is designed to prevent someone at Musicland from opening the CD (after getting through the wrap) and stealing the CD.

Hmmm.

I thought these guys had a copy protection problem ...

Edited by Eric

I stopped struggling with that shit years ago. Just after u get the wrapper off, take the case by the opening and pull until the white tape snaps off. Then slowly peel the remaining tape left on both sides. If you do it slow and careful enough, it will come off without leaving any trace that it was there.

If you don't have any WD40 or other substance handy, try this:

After you peel the tape off (and it never comes off in one piece), don't throw it away. Take the tape and press it, sticky side down, against the residue. The residue starts to be removed. Do it a few times until the residue is gone. Always works for me.

Man, I've gotten blisters from tape residue. Price tags (directly on the CD) are worse, though.

Like that yellow label informing you what a classic recording it is. You have to peel it off from the corner REALLY SLOW or it comes apart. Sometimes they put it on the outside, on the shrink wrap, which makes life much easier.

Interesting thread. What, are we running out of things to bitch about? :g

Edited by Free For All

If you don't have any WD40 or other substance handy, try this:

After you peel the tape off (and it never comes off in one piece), don't throw it away. Take the tape and press it, sticky side down, against the residue. The residue starts to be removed. Do it a few times until the residue is gone. Always works for me.

...it used to work; I think they left these things under a heat lamp!!! :wacko:

I stopped struggling with that shit years ago. Just after u get the wrapper off, take the case by the opening and pull until the white tape snaps off. Then slowly peel the remaining tape left on both sides. If you do it slow and careful enough, it will come off without leaving any trace that it was there.

That's not always the case, JK. I wish it were, though. Maybe you just haven't run up against any EVIL glue yet. :crazy:

Also, although I always try the technique suggested by JPF before I resort to the Goo Gone, and although it works most of the time for me too, there are still occasions when chemicals are required (and yes, price stickers- especially on used CD's- can be a real bitch).

Man, I've gotten blisters from tape residue. Price tags (directly on the CD) are worse, though.

Like that yellow label informing you what a classic recording it is. You have to peel it off from the corner REALLY SLOW or it comes apart. Sometimes they put it on the outside, on the shrink wrap, which makes life much easier.

Yup, same prob here and lighter fluid (or GOO-GONE) can take that right off.

(I kinda prefer the lighter fluid way, because the tip has a very small hole and you

can easily regulate how much fluid comes out by slightly opening the top -

just a drop for a little sticker or a whole bunch for a swath of stickiness if needed).

I have Goo Gone (with Citrus Power) and it works very well--the problem is that it stinks, and the unbearable smell lingers all day. I do not recommend it to anyone except the nasally challenged. Regular rubbing alcohol works just as well.

Apropos bothersome labels, I am even more annoyed at the small labels we find on fruit these days. It's a bother to have to remove them and is is sometimes impossible to do without ripping off a piece of the fruit. I understand that some kind of edible tattoo is in the works, but do we really need to ID each pear, plum, or mango?

I have Goo Gone (with Citrus Power) and it works very well--the problem is that it stinks, and the unbearable smell lingers all day. I do not recommend it to anyone except the nasally challenged. Regular rubbing alcohol works just as well.

Apropos bothersome labels, I am even more annoyed at the small labels we find on fruit these days. It's a bother to have to remove them and is is sometimes impossible to do without ripping off a piece of the fruit. I understand that some kind of edible tattoo is in the works, but do we really need to ID each pear, plum, or mango?

Chris, I hate the smell of Goo Gone as well....Have to use it sometimes I find. But what has worked best for me, better than WD40, anything is Prestone Silicone. I have tried other silicones, and they just didn't work the way this does. I can even get stickers off of Video boxes, but you have to be careful. I would guess I have had to clean sticker crap off of more cd cases and videos than any man alive..... Now someone try if already!!!! :angry:

Edited by BERIGAN

First off, my buddy Rob is the person who taught me the trick on how to get these stickers off easily. I may have perfected it in my own way, but he is the one who showed me how to do it. I'm sure he's glad ro read that so many of us have benefitted from his trick.

Sticker residue is a problem that I solved all on my own. I discovered that the gummy sticker doesn't like to leave it's gummy residue behind. Most stickers themselves make great gummy residue removers. I simply push the sticker onto the residue (make sure it a part of the sticker with sticky stuff still on it) and rapidly yank it off. Do this up & down on the same sticky area and it should start coming up. If you can't use the sticker, scotch tape can work but not often.

Later,

Kevin

We don't have this problem in Italy. Sometimes we could find sticky mozzarella cheese between case and cd, but no tape... :D

But your discs have the most evil stickers on the right side of the jewel cases, just a 2 cm long and 5 mm wide strip... never one succeeds to get those off without any glue being left on the case!

And on this photo you can see the other Italian variety that's even more evil than the small ones:

gasliniSunRa.jpg

We don't have this problem in Italy. Sometimes we could find sticky mozzarella cheese between case and cd, but no tape... :D

But your discs have the most evil stickers on the right side of the jewel cases, just a 2 cm long and 5 mm wide strip... never one succeeds to get those off without any glue being left on the case!

And on this photo you can see the other Italian variety that's even more evil than the small ones:

gasliniSunRa.jpg

Those come off with the "un-hinging" trick as well, you just have to un-hinge both the top & bottm to flip the case open. With the case un-hinged into two pieces, you're removing the case from the sticker, not the sticker from the case. The thing about these shiny stickers from Italy is that the sticker does not make a good residue remover (as I mention above) because they tend to leave the silver stuff behind.

Kevin