Just in case I'm ever nominated....

Big Al

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know I haven't been nominated (yet!), but I've been trying to decide which of these albums to talk about should that time ever come. I like both of these albums equally, and I thought it might be nice to talk about both of them simultaneously for the following reasons:

1. Same lineup

2. Recorded at the same time (May-June 1967)

3. Interchangeable, as far as the music goes.

But if you all would rather we do only one, that's fine with me. Whatever the poll decides is what my pick will be. The poll ends at the end of this week!

Thanks in advance!

Big Al, if it were my place to do the nominatin', you'd definitely get my vote!!!!

I say, let's include everything Miles recorded in the studio from May 9th through July 19th, 1967 (including the tune "Thisness" recorded sometime in that range, though the specific date isn't known).

That would include all of the albums "Sorcerer" & "Nefertiti", plus side 1 of "Water Babies", plus all the alternate takes included on the box set, along with the tune "Thisness" - which is clearly from this period, even if the specific recording date isn't known.

If people don't have the box set, they can listen to what they do have, and chime in with comments about that material. I would think most of us would at least have "Sorcerer" or "Nefertiti", if not both.

Great idea!!!!!!!!! This is one of my VERY favorite periods of Miles studio output. "Nefertiti" was one of the first Miles albums I ever heard (along with KoB).

Yeaaaah Rooster!!! That's precisely what I was thinking. My feeling is that all three CDs could be open for discussion (Nefertiti, Sorcerer, and the first three tracks on the Water Babies CD); that if someone was without any of these discs, they can all be easily and cheaply purchased. Those who own the box could also chime in with comments about all the extras only on the box (to get others to get this box; hey, it was my first jazz box that I ever bought! Worth every penny, too!)

I'm glad most everyone likes the idea, and thanks for (so far) not making me have to choose one or the other! :tup