Bill Evans and Tony Bennett

Peter Johnson

Too bad Sinatra and Evans never recorded together. That would've been something.

Something, yeah, but something only a sadist could enjoy...

In the 40s, Sinatra & Nat Cole would've been grand. In fact, it was!

In the 50s, Sinatra and Oscar Peterson would've probably worked well. Seriously.

In the 60s, I dunno. Which Frank are we talking about?

From the 70s onward (especially onward), Sinatra & Ran Blake gets my nod. They could've made the album that Watertown thought it was...

In the 40s, Sinatra & Nat Cole would've been grand. In fact, it was!

I dunno--I just heard that weird track of Sinatra sitting in on "Sweet Lorraine" with Nat King Cole, Coleman Hawkins & miscellaneous Doresyites & Ellingtonians & it mostly just sounded like a stylistic trafficjam. Kinda wonderful to hear, anyway, though....!

• 11 months later...

Listened to this again last night. I can't say I recommend it. Tony belts too much given the intimate setting. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Agreed. Worth it more for Bill Evans' playing. Tony does better elsewhere.

You know, I used to feel the same way as all the other posters on this thread--liked the Fantasy album, thought the Improv was so-so, but that album has really grown on me, especially "You Must Believe in Spring," a Michel Legrand tune that has seldom been recorded. Call me nuts (and some of you will!), but there's something about that song that really catches my attention.

The Bennett "Complete Improv Recordings" on Concord is well worth it IMO. Some of Bennett's best work.