Unissued/Unreleased Grant Green

monkboughtlunch

Has this unissued Green Blue Note session from 1970 ever been located?

On 2/26/2008 at 6:25 PM, Swinging Swede said:

There are however some tapes that really are lost, or at least not located yet.

One such case is this:

Grant Green Quintet

Claude Bartee (ts) Emmanuel Riggins (org) Grant Green (g) Herbie Lewis (b) Idris Muhammad (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 29, 1970

6478 I Can't Leave Your Love Alone Blue Note unissued

6479 Let Yourself Go -

6480 Love On A Two-Way Street -

6481 Green Acid -

6482 Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head -

6483 Something -

6484 Let It Rain -

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that there is any kind of archive manager these, especially since I've heard that they shipped all of the tapes into an Iron Mountain facility somewhere in CA. I imagine at this point, anyone making an inquiry about tape availability is at the mercy of whoever cataloged these tapes before shipping them off to storage.

I found some additional info which confirms that CHQM FM in Vancouver recorded Grant Green at Oil Can Harry's.  

Gary Barclay was a producer for CHQM.   He states the following on his website: http://garybarclay.ca/about-us.php

"I have produced 21 one-hour radio shows, recorded “live” on location at Vancouver nightclubs with such groups as The Bill Evans Trio, Jack DeJohnette’s Directions, The Headhunters, The Ahmad Jamal Quintet, The Gabor Szabo Quartet, Oregon, The Mose Allison Trio and The Grant Green Quintet."

==============================

About Gary Barclay

Since 1968 I have recorded, firsthand, approximately 240 behind-the-scenes interviews with some of the world’s great jazz and blues musicians. From 1971 to 1985, I produced and hosted The All-Night Jazz Show on CHQM and QM/FM in Vancouver, while independently producing jazz features for CBC Radio and co-producing features by remote correspondence for Radio Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I have written 45 “Q’s Reviews” on jazz topics for CHQM and 31 articles on jazz personalities for various regional publications. I have transcribed several of my interviews, with brief introductions and extensive endnotes, for a projected book with the working title Jazz Verbatim. I have produced 21 one-hour radio shows, recorded “live” on location at Vancouver nightclubs with such groups as The Bill Evans Trio, Jack DeJohnette’s Directions, The Headhunters, The Ahmad Jamal Quintet, The Gabor Szabo Quartet, Oregon, The Mose Allison Trio and The Grant Green Quintet. I have been credited for my interview contributions with Dizzy Gillespie on the 1992 National Public Radio 13-part series Dizzy’s Diamond and with Sonny Rollins on CBC Stereo’s The Arts Tonight and, in 2007, on Hot Air on CBC Radio One. I graduated with a B.A. in English Literature (Hon.) at the University of British Columbia in 2000 and with a B.A. in Religion, Literature and the Arts in May of 2004. I withdrew after completing one term of a Masters of Archival Studies at the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies at the University of British Columbia at the end of 2004. I co-hosted and provided interviews from my collection for The Bean, a two-hour CBC Radio One Special, broadcast nationally on Thanksgiving Day 2006.
Edited by monkboughtlunch

On 29/01/2018 at 4:11 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I doubt that there is any kind of archive manager these, especially since I've heard that they shipped all of the tapes into an Iron Mountain facility somewhere in CA. I imagine at this point, anyone making an inquiry about tape availability is at the mercy of whoever cataloged these tapes before shipping them off to storage.

I suppose that the late Bob Beldon might have conducted a good search to locate the session and the other two unissued Verve sessions. He seemed to devote a lot of energy and passion into Green's re-issues. Perhaps if they haven't surfaced yet they might never be recovered sadly.

• 1 month later...

28516228_10215796628092499_4806117272099

Posted by Zev Feldman:

CELEBRATING GRANT GREEN FOR RECORD STORE DAY! I'd like to ecstatically announce Resonance's TWO Record Store Day releases - "Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)" and "Slick! - Live at Oil Can Harry's" - by guitar legend Grant Green. These are the first official new releases of previously unissued material by the guitarist in over 10 years. Available exclusively for Record Store Day on April 21, 2018. Mastered at the legendary Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios and
pressed on 180-gram vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM by Record Technology Inc. (RTI).

As a lifelong record collector, I've always been drawn to the incredible artwork that graces some of my favorite LPs. I really pushed to recreate those titillating experiences I would have with the artwork on these Grant Green packages. I must say, our long-time designer Burton Yount really outdid himself with these! They are two of the most striking releases we've ever assembled.

"Funk in France" is actually two albums in one (with 2 additional covers on the inside!) capturing Grant at the ORTF studios in Paris in 1969, and at the Antibes Jazz Festival in 1970. Deluxe, limited edition 3LP gatefold set includes a 12-page insert with rare photos by Chuck Stewart, Jean-Pierre Leloir and Christian Rose; essays by myself, executive producer Michael Cuscuna, and Pascal Rozat of Ina in France; interviews with organ legend Dr. Lonnie Smith, Soulive guitarist Eric Krasno, Antibes organist Clarence Palmer and Grant's son Greg Green (aka guitarist Grant Green Jr.).

"Slick!" was recorded at Oil Can Harry's in Vancouver, Canada on September 5, 1975 and captures a jaw-dropping 33-minute funk/R&B medley covering Stevie Wonder to Bobby Womack to Ohio Players. It also marks the latest known official live Grant Green recording on CD/LP. Deluxe, limited edition gatefold LP includes a 12-page insert with previously unpublished photos taken at the club by photographer Gerry
Nairn; essays by noted music journalist A. Scott Galloway, Vancouver DJ Gary Barclay and producer Zev Feldman; interviews with Detroit guitarist Perry Hughes (in conversation with fellow guitarist Jacques Lesure), Greg Green and drummer Greg "Vibrations" Williams.

I'd like to thank everyone that was involved in the project, and of course you and our friends at Record Store Day for your support. We simply could not do this type of work without you all!

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Interesting. Wish there was more info on the studio date in France, and no indication if the Oil Can set has anything straightahead.  I hope it's not a single 30 minute medley track or I might just pass on that one.

Yeah, the 1975 live date is a real mystery.  Hope he at least played one blues or standard -- or anything straighahead with some chord changes.  Unclear if he was still in his boogaloo phase in 1975.  But still, this is a pro-recorded gig for FM  radio broadcast so the sound should be excellent

Found more info:

Grant Green (1) - Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)
Format: 3LP - Gatefold

In partnership with the French National Audiovisual Institute (INA), Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970) is the first official, previously unissued live recordings of legendary guitarist Grant Green in over a decade. This deluxe 3LP set brings together a collection of recordings of Green captured at the ORTF studios in Paris on October 26, 1969 with bassist Larry Ridley and drummer Don Lamond, also including jazz guitar legend Barney Kessel comping behind Green on the beautiful I Wish You Love; plus full concert recordings from June 18 and 20, 1970 at the Antibes Jazz Festival featuring saxophonist Claude Bartee and organist Clarence Palmer, who both played on Green's classic 1969 Blue Note album Carryin' On, and drummer Billy Wilson. The ORTF studio session was taped for a radio broadcast produced by legendary French producer André Francis, and the Antibes recording was taped less than a month before Green's first live release Alive! on Blue Note Records. Both performances showcase Green's early transition to a heavier, funkier sound as he entered the 1970s. This is the first time any of these songs from the Carryin' On and Iron City albums are being made available as live performances, and represent his earliest live recording as a leader. Available exclusively for Record Store Day on April 21, 2018, the hand-numbered, limited-edition of 2,000 3LP gatefold are mastered at the legendary Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios and pressed on 180-gram vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM by Record Technology Inc. (RTI)

Grant Green - Slick! Live at Oil Can Harry's
Format: 2LP - Gatefold

Slick! - Live at Oil Can Harry's is a never-before-released recording from soul-jazz guitar great Grant Green captured live on September 5, 1975 in at a popular club in Vancouver, BC Canada called Oil Can Harry's. Featuring a primarily Detroit-based band with Emmanuel Riggins (father of drummer Kariem Riggins) on electric piano, Ronnie Ware on bass, drummer Greg Vibrations Williams (Jack McDuff, Lou Donaldson) and Gerald Izzard on percussion, Slick!'s centerpiece is the over 30 minute funk exploration medley of Stanley Clarke's Vulcan Princess, Skin Tight by the Ohio Players, Bobby Womack's The Woman's Gotta Have It, Boogie on Reggae Woman by Stevie Wonder and For the Love of Money by the O'Jays. This recording was originally broadcast on CHQM-FM and has been transferred from the original 10 reels to reveal a sterling sonic experience. Aside from Resonance's companion piece, Funk in France, being released simultaneously with this recording, this is only the 4th live recording released of the underappreciated soul-jazz guitar hero. Captured 3 years after the classic Live at the Lighthouse album released on Blue Note in 1972, this marks the latest known official live Grant Green recording on CD and LP. Available exclusively for Record Store Day on April 21, 2018, the hand-numbered, limited-edition of 2,000 2LP gatefold are mastered at the legendary Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios and pressed on 180-gram vinyl at 33 1/3 RPM by Record Technology Inc. (RTI)

Tracklistings:

Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)

SIDE A:
1. I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door I'll Get It Myself) (4:34)
2. Oleo (4:24)
3. How Insensitive (Insensatez) (7:18)
4. Untitled Blues (8:09)

SIDE B:
1. Sonnymoon for Two (7:00)
2. I Wish You Love (7:06)*

SIDE C:
1. Upshot - Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival on July 18, 1970 (18:02) 

SIDE D:
1. Hurt So Bad - Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival on July 18, 1970 (14:35)

SIDE E:
1. Upshot - Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival on July 20, 1970 (19:46) 

SIDE F:
1. Hi-Heel Sneakers - Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival on July 20, 1970 (27:13)

Personnel (SIDE A/B): 
Grant Green - guitar
Larry Ridley - bass
Don Lamond - drums
*Barney Kessel - guitar

Recorded at Maison de la Radio, Studio 104 in Paris, France on October 26, 1969 

Personnel (SIDE C/D & E/F): 
Grant Green - guitar
Claude Bartee - tenor saxophone
Clarence Palmer - organ
Billy Wilson - drums 

============================

SLICK! - Live at Oil Can Harry's

SIDE A:
1. Now's the Time (8:16)
SIDE B:
1. How Insensitive (Insensatez) (26:02)
SIDE C:
1. Medley (Part One): Vulcan Princess / Skin Tight / Woman's Gotta Have It (14:20)
SIDE D:
1. Medley (Part Two): Boogie On Reggae Woman / For the Love of Money (17:36)

Personnel:
Grant Green - guitar
Emmanuel Riggins - electric piano
Ronnie Ware - bass
Greg Williams - drums
Gerald Izzard - percussion

4 hours ago, monkboughtlunch said:

Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)
SIDE F:
1. Hi-Heel Sneakers - Live at the Antibes Jazz Festival on July 20, 1970 (27:13)
============================
SLICK! - Live at Oil Can Harry's
SIDE B:
1. How Insensitive (Insensatez) (26:02)

I hope they don't have mess with the EQ too much to fit these onto one LP side. Seems too long without at least rolling off the bass.

45 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I hope they don't have mess with the EQ too much to fit these onto one LP side. Seems too long without at least rolling off the bass.

Agreed.  I'm going to wait for the CD.  Approx 18 minutes is optimal for a single LP side to maintain best sound quality.  To squeeze 27 minutes on one side of an LP requires sonic compromises.

From the liner notes, it sounds like at a minimum, "Now's the Time" may have chord changes and is in a more straight ahead style.

Observation: they expunged the Burrell and Kessel solo features.  That makes sense since Green didn't really add too much to those tracks.

It would have been nice though to get Blue Mist -- as Green does solo with Barney and Kenny.  I wonder if that will be a bonus track on the CD.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I'll definitely pick up all of these as soon as they make their way onto CD.  

10 hours ago, Brad said:

Likewise. 

25 May, the Resonance ad sez. Do they usually deliver on CD dates?

Looking forward to these very much, Claude Bartee in particular.

MG