Unissued/Unreleased Grant Green

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a 27 minute cut (and it certainly seems that there is!), I'll take it on CD.

But the lineups and dates are appealing to me, very. Claude Bartee's pitch is one of the more quirky things in the history of tenor, and I mean that in a non-negative way!

7 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

If there are only 2000 copies of the LP sets, how are you going to get one over here?

MG

I’ve had no problem getting previous Resonance releases on RSD (or shortly after) Hate the queues though!

I like the concept of Record Store Day, but I'm not a big fan of the Record Store Day retail experience.  Last year I stood in line to buy some releases and they were already sold out.  Store only got a few copies in.  Plus you've got a bunch of record labels all pressing a bunch of LPs at the same time which stresses the pressing plants and lowers quality control.  Some of the LPs I bought were very noisey, off center and had non-fill issues.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

If there's a 27 minute cut (and it certainly seems that there is!), I'll take it on CD.

But the lineups and dates are appealing to me, very. Claude Bartee's pitch is one of the more quirky things in the history of tenor, and I mean that in a non-negative way!

I read somewhere recently that Claude Bartee used a special kind of arduous tonguing technique that gave him that sound.  

Resonance usually publishes a promo video on YouTube in advance of the release.  So hopefully we will hear some excerpts soon.  I'm really curious about the 1975 show and what Green's live gigs sounded like during that period.

In March 1976, Green recorded a CTI album call The Main Attraction.  That album hasn't aged too well.  It's really overproduced with a ton of session players along for the ride.

The 1975 gig has the potential to be a lot better as Green is with a small and hardened road band.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

4 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh its gonna be great dawg, its nothing like main attraction which was a cti thing, dont you worry.  grant was still killin it in the clubs, i really still think for the amount of touring  he was doing there should be even more stuff.  but this'll do

I dare say you're right, Chewy, about more live things being around. I don't mind waiting for a year or two, while I get used to these two huge albums.

MG

I wonder if the Antibes sound quality will be improved on the Resonance release. The circulating recordings of Antibes sound kind of blurred and dry.  I wonder how far the circulating recordings are removed from the master tape.  Was French FM radio still mono in 1970 -- or were they stereo by that time?  Circulating recording is mono.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eric said:

Managed to score both of these at Record Store Day - was pretty amazed as I was not there early.  Looking forward to spinning them both later.

Same here. Just listened to ‘Oil Can Harry’s’ so far but it is brilliant. LP1 starts laid back, side 2 cranks up the funk and sides 3 and 4 completely burn !

7 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Same here. Just listened to ‘Oil Can Harry’s’ so far but it is brilliant. LP1 starts laid back, side 2 cranks up the funk and sides 3 and 4 completely burn !

That’s a fair summary. Currently I’m back to Funk in France - side B . Fans of GGs earlier boppish records should fear not as both RSD issues have plenty of straight ahead playing 

I would agree. Sides A and B are straight ahead, although Grant gets into an extended groove on ‘How Insensitive’ on Side B. The funk tune medleys on Sides C and D are off the scale in terms of in the pocket groove though, real highlights. The whole band is really tight on these medleys, must have been amazing to witness from the audience.