Unissued/Unreleased Grant Green

monkboughtlunch

Just dived in to ‘Funk in France’. Side E - ‘Upshot’, very much in GG of ‘Carryin’ On’ vintage. Clarence Palmer on drums pretty incendiary at this Antibes gig.

No major qualms about the sound, although the organ is a bit far back in the mix.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to the party but I've just ordered both (without having to queue :)) in no small part to the enthusiasm expressed above and the rather slick but informative YouTube film that promotes them

so looking forward to GG fest in the coming days,perhaps even in time for the long weekend

• 2 weeks later...

A little birdie helped me out with Oil Can and I am kinda glad. Slick just doesn't cut it for me.  Too seventies, too funkified.  I'm glad if Grant gets more attention from these but it's really not my cuppa.

I think I'll enjoy the other one more, but still not listen too often to the long jams.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the CDs.  

Observations: 

1.) 1969 Roundhouse Concert (Green in a trio setting) is in superb fidelity.  Even though it is in mono, it was very well engineered.  Sounds like they added some slight post production reverb giving it a slight stereo ambience.  But the original location audio engineer really captured this trio in wonderful resolution.  If you are used to the low fidelity sound on the YouTube video, the sonic experience and upgrade heard here is revelatory.
2.) I really dig Green's playing on the 1969 Roundhouse concert - he really shows multiple aspects of his style: blues, funk, bebop, standards etc. 
3.) I wish Resonance had included two additional tracks from this concert in which Green gets solo time with Burrell and Kessel.  How Could You Do a Thing Like That To Me  and Blue Mist.
4.) The 1970s Antibes jams are not as well recorded.  The mono fidelity is good, but the mix is often times a little off (organ can be low in the mix).  I'm really digging the jam on Hurt So Bad.
5.) I like Slick.  On Now's the Time we hear Green play straight ahead jazz and solo over chord changes.  It shows that even late in his career he still had his jazz chops and played bebop during his live gigs.  I don't think the playing on this track is "too seventies."  It's very much within a classic straight-ahead vein.
6.) The extended How Insensitive on Slick is also rewarding.  Green must have loved this haunting Jobim bossa since he played it in both 1969 and 1975.  
7.) Need more time to absorb the funk medley on Slick before rendering a verdict.

In summary, the 1969 Roundhouse Concert is a gem, and Green's rendition of Charlie Parker's "Now's the Time" on Slick is also fantastic.  Both bear repeated listenings.   I think both CDs are a worthy addition to his catalog.  "Now's The Time" on Slick is much better than anything that made it's way to the public around the same time on the commercial and over-produced The Main Attraction or Easy albums.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

hey monkboughtlunch, did they deliver to your mailbox, cause in my area they do not- amazon just sends a courrier to try and leave it somewhere random at yr place since they dont have keys to the mailboxes. im not excited about this anymore as much this week, i have just enough in my amazon acct for it and i dont want to go through the amazon process.  i would do the digital but amazon only says "mp3s" and not flac files........

• 1 month later...