Unissued/Unreleased Grant Green

monkboughtlunch

When was Ruppli's discography published?

Hi I am new to the board, just wanting to see if someone might be able to provide some info...In the liner notes to Live at the Lighthouse, Bob Belden mentions a session with Houston Person that does not appear in any Grant discographies...if this session is all that BB says it is then it must be a very special and important recording.. especially in light of when it was made...does anyone have any knowledge of this

I don't know what exactly is referred to in those liner notes, but there was a Houston Person double LP on the Eastbound label, The Real Thing which includes Grant among its many all-star guests.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I am new to the board, just wanting to see if someone might be able to provide some info...In the liner notes to Live at the Lighthouse, Bob Belden mentions a session with Houston Person that does not appear in any Grant discographies...if this session is all that BB says it is then it must be a very special and important recording.. especially in light of when it was made...does anyone have any knowledge of this

By the way thanks for all the wonderful things I've been able to read here on Grant, John Patton and George Braith etc al...

On pages 245 and 246 of the 1986 Ruppli BN discography, there's a listing of a few sets (some 33 songs) recorded at the Club Mozambique in Detroit on Jan. 6 & 7, 1971. Clarence Thomas (ts,ss), Houston Person (ts), Ronnie Foster (org), Green, and Idris Muhammad (d). All tracks are listed as "rejected".

I don't own the Lighthouse recording and am not that keen on this era of GG's career, so I don't know if any of this material has since been released. I suspect at least some of it has... I'm getting a deja vu as if we've been over this before... ^_^

By the way thanks for all the wonderful things I've been able to read here on Grant, John Patton and George Braith etc al...

Post 10 in this thread gives what is known about unreleased Grant Green led dates (plus a few others). Post 11 gives a link to another thread about the specific session you're interested in. Mosaic say Blue Note will issue it.

MG

On pages 245 and 246 of the 1986 Ruppli BN discography, there's a listing of a few sets (some 33 songs) recorded at the Club Mozambique in Detroit on Jan. 6 & 7, 1971. Clarence Thomas (ts,ss), Houston Person (ts), Ronnie Foster (org), Green, and Idris Muhammad (d). All tracks are listed as "rejected".

I don't own the Lighthouse recording and am not that keen on this era of GG's career, so I don't know if any of this material has since been released. I suspect at least some of it has... I'm getting a deja vu as if we've been over this before... ^_^

No guys the session Beldon seems to be talking about sounds seperate to these live recordings. He gives the information that it was recorded for Eastbound or Westbound and seems to be suggesting that it was a session of standards or chord changes material.. which would make it very special. He mentions the tune Dearly Beloved which does not appear in the discographies of these other sessions and would not be in context with the setlists from these performances I think. I can't wait to hear the Mozambique sets but would love to know more about this other session

No guys the session Beldon seems to be talking about sounds seperate to these live recordings. He gives the information that it was recorded for Eastbound or Westbound and seems to be suggesting that it was a session of standards or chord changes material.. which would make it very special. He mentions the tune Dearly Beloved which does not appear in the discographies of these other sessions and would not be in context with the setlists from these performances I think. I can't wait to hear the Mozambique sets but would love to know more about this other session

Rereading the Lighthouse sleeve notes by Bob Belden, I am of the view that he's talking about Houston Person's Eastbound album "The real thing", recorded at Club Mozambique. This is a double LP; when you have the album closed, all you can see on the front cover is "Houston Person"; the title is on the reverse. When you open it out and hold it upright, you can see the title is "The real thing". But if you just look at the front, it looks like a self-titled album.

What's odd about Belden's notes is the ref to "Dearly beloved". That track isn't on the album, but Grant DOES play on a lot of the straight ahead material included (and on "Lester leaps in", which was issued on CD in the UK a few years ago). It's possible that Belden has heard "Dearly beloved" from the session, but it hasn't been released as far as I know. In fact, his statement on that sleeve note is the only evidence there is for the existence of that performance.

MG

add it to the list then....seems enough with the Eastbound/Blue Note to stick out a real nice new set but cannot seet that they would.

I got the lp and the extra track(s) that were reissued in the UK...they are really nice I have to say ......in fact as I am working here at home its time to stick it on!

:bwallace:

Can someone post the tracklisting and personel of the eastbound date? So Green plays straight-ahead non-boogaloo material on this 1973 recording? Can someone post a sound sample? Is this available on CD?

The info is in the discography you yourself posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.jazzdisco.org/green/dis/c/

To my knowledge one tune has been issued on CD. It wasn't on the original LP but was put out on a comp.

Can someone post the tracklisting and personel of the eastbound date? So Green plays straight-ahead non-boogaloo material on this 1973 recording? Can someone post a sound sample? Is this available on CD?

To my knowledge one tune has been issued on CD. It wasn't on the original LP but was put out on a comp.

"Crazy legs" is also on the compilation "Together", as well as another previously unissued track (New blowtop blues", featuring Etta Jones, on which GG probably doesn't play.

I doubt if you'll get sound samples anywhere - "Lester leaps in" is 15 minutes long and "Crazy legs" runs 6:44 and the CD was issued in UK in 1993; a long time before people thought of putting samples on the web.

MG

"Crazy legs" is also on the compilation "Together", as well as another previously unissued track (New blowtop blues", featuring Etta Jones, on which GG probably doesn't play.

I doubt if you'll get sound samples anywhere - "Lester leaps in" is 15 minutes long and "Crazy legs" runs 6:44 and the CD was issued in UK in 1993; a long time before people thought of putting samples on the web.

thanks for all the info people. It does sound plausible that the tune Bob Beldon mentions (Dearly Beloved) is from this performance. I do have a cassette tape of some tunes from this session and do remember that on crazy legs or easy walker (can't remember which) that Grant really stretches out. I haven't been able to find Lester Leaps In but it sounds like it must be worth hearing especially at that length. This begs the question though...how would Bob Beldon have got to hear the session tapes if it was an Eastbound vault tape and not Blue Note. One thing that I do have that is fantastic is a live blues sourced from an Italian guitar comp that is buuuurning hot playing by Grant with Billy Taylor on piano. I am aware there are two trio cuts avaliable from that source as well. Dont know if it is an official release as I know that there were some loopholes in Italian copyright laws at some point. Does anyone else know of this recording?

MG

Thanks for all this info people. It does sound plausible that Dearly Beloved could be from this performance. I do have a cassette of some of the tunes and do remember that on Crazy Legs or Easy Walker that Grant really stretches out. I haven't heard Lester Leaps In though but at that length it sounds like it would be worth hearing. It begs the question though how would Bob Beldon have got to hear the session tapes for this recording if it is an Eastbound date and not a Blue Note one. Something that I have is a copy of a great live blues by Grant that has Billy Taylor on piano and is sourced from an Italian jazz guitar comp that may not be an official realease. I do know that there is two more trio tracks from the same performance without piano. does anyone else know anything about this session?

Thanks for all this info people. It does sound plausible that Dearly Beloved could be from this performance. I do have a cassette of some of the tunes and do remember that on Crazy Legs or Easy Walker that Grant really stretches out. I haven't heard Lester Leaps In though but at that length it sounds like it would be worth hearing. It begs the question though how would Bob Beldon have got to hear the session tapes for this recording if it is an Eastbound date and not a Blue Note one. Something that I have is a copy of a great live blues by Grant that has Billy Taylor on piano and is sourced from an Italian jazz guitar comp that may not be an official realease. I do know that there is two more trio tracks from the same performance without piano. does anyone else know anything about this session?

I didn't know there were two more Grant Green tracks from this session. According to the sleeve notes, the recordings are from 1961 but that's impossible, since "Canteloupe woman" wasn't written then. An Atilla Zoller discography dates his performance of "Straight no chaser" on the same LP (also with Gene Taylor and Connie Kay) to 4 July 1966 at Newport Jazz Festival, which doesn't seem unlikely. Billy Taylor is only credited on the Kenny Burrell track but, since there is a pianist on the Grant Greens, I assume that's Billy.

The sleeve lists the first track as "Blues in Green", but it's "Canteloupe woman". The second track isn't a blues and has some unusual playing for Green; almost verging on free at the beginning, then moving into something that sounds as if it was inspired by Elvin Jones' playing.

Very nice and interesting stuff. I'd like to hear more from the session.

Can anyone confirm whether GG was at Newport that year?

MG

Sorry guys may have sent out a false alarm. I knew the Italian vinyl listed two tracks without piano so thought these must be additional to the track that I already have, but from this post it looks like the presence of piano means they'll be the slow shuffle non-boogaloo version of Cantaloupe Island that I've already got, which has piano, plus another one that going by the previous post sounds really intriguing. Oh well, one more live Grant tune is better than nothing. The Newport theory sounds good. Maybe they had a jazz guitar showcase that year or something...guess which player burned the stage up IMHO..with Kenny Burrell coming a close second. I think this definitely sounds like Grant's bursting and intense tone circa 65-66 to me. which makes me hope that those unreleaesed Verve session may still exist in the vaults somewhere. BTW does the presence of the tune Fat Judy suggest that maybe one of these sessions has Big John Patton on it?

I think this definitely sounds like Grant's bursting and intense tone circa 65-66 to me. which makes me hope that those unreleaesed Verve session may still exist in the vaults somewhere. BTW does the presence of the tune Fat Judy suggest that maybe one of these sessions has Big John Patton on it?

Maybe. It seems they're lost, however, so it's probably academic.

MG

I've heard some of the stuff from the Mozambique. It's killer. Wish it'd come out.

Oddly, if you look at GG's discography at All Music, it shows this as a 2006 release - even has a catalog number.

Bingo!

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...D=5092246&BAB=L

:party:

But how are we missing this info? Kevin B., where are you? Alan?

Geez, barely one month until the street date, and this is the first we've really heard ot it?? Where's Jazzmatazz on this?? Don't we "insiders" usually have like 6 months to salivate about these kinds of things??

Are the titles of the tunes in the big-daddy BN discography? (which I own, but my copy is at home as I'm typing this from work). What's the line-up again?? It's 1972, right??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

According to my online source it's 1/06-07/71 with Houston Person and Clarence Thomas (didn't know he was so talented!) on saxes, Ronnie Foster on organ and Egregious Muhammad on drums. A mix of familiar and new tunes, more than enough listed as unissued rather than rejected for > 1CD. Includes some Burt B. tunes GG didn't do elsewhere, I think... There's still a whole '70 studio session and leftovers from Carryin' On, but eventually we'll get it all and have to find something new to complain about...

I've heard some of the stuff from the Mozambique. It's killer. Wish it'd come out.

Oddly, if you look at GG's discography at All Music, it shows this as a 2006 release - even has a catalog number.

Bingo!

I put my order in to CD Universe using the link in Eric's post. Can Jim confirm that Organissimo will be paid or shall I cancel the order and do it again?

MG

Bingo!

I put my order in to CD Universe using the link in Eric's post. Can Jim confirm that Organissimo will be paid or shall I cancel the order and do it again?

MG

You need to cancel and either wait for Jim to post a link, or else use the search box at the top of the page to find and order it. Looking at the link and comparing it to a link Jim posted for another album, its clear that Jim's posting contains code for Organissimo to get credit.

Edited by Dan Gould