Gambling: PowerBall Mania

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are crazy.  :crazy:

The odds of winning one of those are beyond astronomical. Buying 5 or 50 or even 500 tickets won't even be enough to increase your odds measurably.

You have a MUCH better chance of getting hit by lightening. Really.

Not if you live in Jacksonville, Oregon! Figure out the odds on all these winners in one very small town! :eye:

JACKSONVILLE, Ore. Someone has again struck it rich in an old Oregon Gold Rush town.

The winner or winners of the largest jackpot in Powerball's history purchased their ticket at one of the two lottery retailers in Jacksonville, Oregon.

At the J-Ville Tavern, which sold a multi-(m) million dollar winning ticket a few years ago, the owner hopes another customer has struck it rich.

She says she hopes it's one of her regulars "who can really use it."

The other lottery retailer, Ray's Food Place, sold one of four runner-up tickets purchased in Oregon _ worth a total of 850-thousand dollars. An employee says it belongs to a couple whom she describes as "so excited." She says the woman was "grinning from ear to ear" and the man was "pretty calm."

Whichever store sold the 340 (m) million dollar jackpot-winning ticket gets 100-thousand dollars.

http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=4007843&nav=0jsh

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

You guys are crazy. :crazy:

The odds of winning one of those are beyond astronomical. Buying 5 or 50 or even 500 tickets won't even be enough to increase your odds measurably.

You have a MUCH better chance of getting hit by lightening. Really.

Yeah, that's right. Gambling's a mug's game.

My dad was a bookie; a very successful bookie. In the thirties, when my mother and he married, he was so rich he didn't have a house; they lived in top whack hotels. In the thirties! He was Hon Sec of the Victoria Club, a club in London where all the bookies hung out. Every night, except Saturdays, he would hold what was known as a "callover". In his obit in "The Sporting Life", he was called "The King of the Callovers".

The callover was a bit of business that involved my dad working out, on the basis of what bets the bookies had already taken, what the odds on each horse in the following day's racing should be in order to ensure that, whichever horses won, the bookies didn't lose. It was a cartel. My dad had a trick brain and could do big sums in his head like anything. Then he'd give the results to the papers for the edification of their readers the following day.

Of course, the callover didn't prevent an individual bookie from losing, if he didn't manage his liabilities well; nor did it prevent an individual gambler from winning. But overall, the system was that the bookies would win and the punters would lose. And my old man started gambling. Effectively, he was betting against his own professional best judgement.

And he lost all his fucking money.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

• 5 months later...

I loved your story MG! I too have seen what gambeling can do to people; it's a sickness. Even with buying lottery tickets, it can get out of hand. I've see people buy them week end and week out when, if they put that $20 to $50 a week in a lost cost Mutual Fund, they would have a nice little nest egg when they retired.

Spend a buck for fun only.

And only a buck.

I loved your story MG! I too have seen what gambeling can do to people; it's a sickness. Even with buying lottery tickets, it can get out of hand. I've see people buy them week end and week out when, if they put that $20 to $50 a week in a lost cost Mutual Fund, they would have a nice little nest egg when they retired.

Spend a buck for fun only.

And only a buck.

you cant lose if you dont play!