Jan Johansson reissue coming?

neveronfriday

Some news on the Jan Johansson remasters:

it seems that there is a new rematser of Musik Genom Fyra Sekler out at cdbaby...

Has anyone checked that out and compared to the original version and can either recommend an upgrade ? Is there as well some additional footage embedded ?

Cheers, Oliver

EDIT: the new 2CD set is as well available at www.cdon.com for european orders.

I'm always so damn late.

I just received the "Jazz paa Svenska" and "Jazz pa Ryska" expanded editions a few weeks ago although I had planned to order these literally as soon as they came out (see my posts somewhere above in this thread) ... (Edit: Oops, I even started this thread). ;)

If the sonic improvement on those two is any indication , the new one should be equally worth it.

I'll probably get it next year if my past ordering history is anything to go by. ;)

Volkher

Edited by neveronfriday

• 3 years later...

%7Boption%7D

can anyone post the titles where JJ was a sideman?

Ohmygawd ...

How many entries do you want (or can digest or follow up ;)), starting with all the tracks he did with the Gunnar Johnson group (which weren't his earliest anyway), for example?

If you really want to go the whole hog, I suggest you check out all the A to Z pdf files of the "Svensk Jazzdiskografi" found here:

http://www.visarkiv.se/jazzdisk_se.htm

(an enlarged version of Harry Nicolausson's groundbreaking work) and do a usual search of these pdf files for any entries by Jan Johansson (can be done online via your browser but you can even download it all).

The returns promise to be copious ... ;) (out of curiosity I just did a search of the letter "A" and within this single letter already got 8 hits for Jan J. in the session lineups).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Found this at a local fleamarket yesterday for only 6 euros (DUX label, 1965 recordings; not sure if it is an original pressing but at any rate it looks like a very early pressing).

RECOMMENDED for all those who are fascinated by that combination of jazz and traditional folklore. The lyrics as sung by traditional folk singers take some getting used to but the combination with the "jazzed-up" versions by the participants is really intriguing. And the arrangements by Jan Johansson are particularly appealing IMO.

16.78.jpg

• 2 weeks later...