Jan Johansson reissue coming?

neveronfriday

I heard that Jan Johansson's stuff ('64 "Jazz på svenska" and more?) was supposed to be re-released as a twofer in Scandinavia (Denmark/Sweden?) this month.

Does anyone have any info on this and what is supposed to be on there, who's releasing it and when it's supposed to be out? For me it is must-have material, but I had trouble finding any info.

I heard that Jan Johansson's stuff ('64 "Jazz på svenska" and more?) was supposed to be re-released as a twofer in Scandinavia (Denmark/Sweden?) this month.

Does anyone have any info on this and what is supposed to be on there, who's releasing it and when it's supposed to be out? For me it is must-have material, but I had trouble finding any info.

It's been available at CD Baby for some time (though it goes out of stock regularly):

http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=Jan+Joha...chsubmit=Search

there are two at CDON with add on tracks...

already spottet those recently ;)

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT release date according to their web site is 3.10

Jazz pa Svenska

01: Visa Från Utanmyra

02: Gånglek Från Älvdalen

03: Polska Från Medelpad

04: Visa Från Rättvik

05: Brudmarsch Efter Larshöga Jonke

06: Vallåt Från Jämtland

07: Emigrantvisa

08: Berg-kirstis Polska

09: Leksands Skänklåt

10: Gammal Bröllopsmarsch

11: Visa Från Järna

12: Polska Efter Höök Olle

13: Visa Från Utanmyra (bonus)

14: Gånglek Från Älvdalen (bonus)

15: Leksands Skänklåt (bonus)

16: Emigrantvisa (bonus)

Jaz pa Ruska:

01: Stepp,min Stepp

02: Mellan Branta Stränder

03: Pråmdragarnas Sång Vid Volga

04: På Ängen Stod En Björk

05: Nära Hemmet

06: Bandura

07: Längs Floden

08: Ströva Omkring

09: Entonigt Klingar Den Lilla Klockan

10: Det Går En Kosack

11: Kvällar I Moskvas Förstäder

12: Jga Broderade Till Gryningen

13: Pråmdragarnas Sång Vid Volga (bonu

14: Längs Floden (bonus)

15: Entonigt Klingar Den Lilla Klockan

16: På Ängen Stod En Björk (bonus)

17: Kvällar I Moskvas Förstäder (bonus

18: Det Går En Kosack (bonus)

Priced 15,95 each....

Edited by tjobbe

It's been available at CD Baby for some time (though it goes out of stock regularly):

http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=Jan+Joha...chsubmit=Search

thanks for the link, just ordered 6 new ones! :lol:

I guess they were wrong about the twofer then.

the two-fers are the "old" 1994 re-masters where Jazz pa Svenska and Jazz pa Ruska are going together on a record called Folkvisor !

The second two-fer is 8Bitar/Innertrio...also highly recommended !

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: I'm not sure if those 2005 re-masters are based on different original tapes as the bonus material seems to be alternate takes. Does anyone has more info on the source of the material ?

Edited by tjobbe

I distinctly remember that this was supposed to be a new (+ newly remastered) one with some bonus tracks as a twofer this or next month. The list I read that on wasn't that old and used to be very reliable. But looking at what came out beginning of this month, I guess those were the ones and the twofer idea died along the way.

Anything else I should get (Johansson) while I've got my credit card out (besides the twofer you mentioned above)?

Anything else I should get (Johansson) while I've got my credit card out (besides the twofer you mentioned above)?

honestly:... GET 'M ALL ! (I'm missing the 2CD Musik Genom Fyra Sekler and the Live in Tallin)

realistically: beside the Folkvisor, the 8Bitar/Innertrio and the Blues are "must haves"

EDIT: the two new re-masters are waiting in my CDON shopping basket until my credit card says: YES, now you can order

Edited by tjobbe

Thanks.

Shall do.

(And now go away. You're making me spend money) ;)

I fell in love with Johansson's playing a looooong time ago and it's time to add some CDs to the collection. I have the folk ones on LP, but they've been played thin ...

They look like frisbees.

Edited by neveronfriday

(And now go away. You're making me spend money)

not yet, not yet :ph34r:

From the www.heptagon.se website:

Jazz på Svenska is a Swedish musical milestone. It has sold a quarter of a million copies, making it the best selling Swedish jazz record of all time. Jan Johanssons sparse and infinitely beautiful interpretations of Swedish folk music have become part of the Swedish cultural fabric. The crystal clear sound of this 2005 reissue finally does the music justice. Swedish melancholia and longing have never had a clearer voice. The record contains all material related to the sessions, which was previously unreleased. (This also includes all the talking between the takes that was recorded, etc.) In addition to the normal audio CD, the bonus material is provided as MP3 files (256kbit/s encoded with Lame) on a cdextra track. No part of the CD is copy protected. 1 hour and 39 minutes (including bonus material).

and

Like Jazz på Svenska, Jazz på Ryska feautures arrangements of folk music, in this case Russian folk music. The record was made in the autumn of 1967. Sometimes the arrangements are full of delicate humor and vigorous Jazz. But mostly it is, as on Jazz på Svenska simple, deep, enigmatic, naked, touching. This record was remixed with 32-bit technology, remastered and reissued in 2005. It contains all the material available for the session. In addition to the normal audio CD, the bonus material is provided as MP3 files (256kbit/s encoded with Lame) on a cdextra track. No part of the CD is copy protected. 1 hour and 39 minutes (including bonus material).

so as the orginal LP of Jazz pa Svenska is only 33:46 running time... WHAT IS THE REST :excited:

Cheers, Tjobbe

Neveronfriday, if you can find it suggest you get the 142-page book by Erik Kjellberg 'Jan Johansson, A Visionary Swedish Musician'. It's written in english, is an excellent introduction to Johansson's music and comes with a CD that contains 18 selections from various albums.

The book was published by Svensk Musik in 1998.

Guys, you're killing me. :wacko:

But thanks for the heads up on this stuff.

:tup

P.S.: I just checked and I also have the two folkvisor as *.mpc files (THAT must be the old twofer [without checking]) ... below a quick tag export ...

Jan Johannson: Folkvisor (I guess that was the release title ('94)) ... I'm just too exhausted at the moment to check anything online:

Titel: Visa från Utanmyra

Titel: Gånglek från Älvdalen

Titel: Polska från Medelpad

Titel: Visa från Rättvik

Titel: Brudmarsch efter Larshöga Jonke

Titel: Vallet från Jämtland

Titel: Emigrantvisa

Titel: Berg-Kirstis polska

Titel: Leksands skänklåt

Titel: Gammal bröllopsmarsch

Titel: Visa från Järna

Titel: Polska efter Höök Olle

Titel: Nära hemmet

Titel: På ängen stod en björk

Titel: Stepp, min stepp

Titel: Bandura

Titel: Längs floden

Titel: Det går en kosack

Titel: Mellan branta stränder

Titel: Pråmdragarnas sång på Volga

Titel: Jag broderade till gryningen

Titel: Kvällar i Moskvas förstäder

Titel: Entonigt klingar den lilla klockan

Titel: Ströva omkring

Edited by neveronfriday

• 1 month later...

P.S.: I just checked and I also have the two folkvisor as *.mpc files (THAT must be the old twofer [without checking]) ... below a quick tag export ...

Jan Johannson: Folkvisor (I guess that was the release title ('94)) ... I'm just too exhausted at the moment to check anything online:

Titel: Visa från Utanmyra

Titel: Gånglek från Älvdalen

Titel: Polska från Medelpad

Titel: Visa från Rättvik

Titel: Brudmarsch efter Larshöga Jonke

Titel: Vallet från Jämtland

Titel: Emigrantvisa

Titel: Berg-Kirstis polska

Titel: Leksands skänklåt

Titel: Gammal bröllopsmarsch

Titel: Visa från Järna

Titel: Polska efter Höök Olle

Titel: Nära hemmet

Titel: På ängen stod en björk

Titel: Stepp, min stepp

Titel: Bandura

Titel: Längs floden

Titel: Det går en kosack

Titel: Mellan branta stränder

Titel: Pråmdragarnas sång på Volga

Titel: Jag broderade till gryningen

Titel: Kvällar i Moskvas förstäder

Titel: Entonigt klingar den lilla klockan

Titel: Ströva omkring

Yes, that would be the earlier Heptagon release. Or even the late 80s release on the original imprint Megafon. I have the earliest CD release, and it's very hissy.

I noticed this on the Heptagon website - an unusual approach:

CD-Extra is a format which can carry data files (like MP3 files) in addition to CD Audio tracks.

Starting 2005, Heptagon will remix, remaster and reissue some of its products as CD-Extra. The idea is to take advantage of today's technology when it comes to attaining the best sound quality, and to make available out-takes and other material for the purpose of documentation.

The CD's will contain an audio part and a data part. The audio part will have the original LP plus a few bonus out-takes, as normal audio tracks. The data part will contain all the available material from that LP, as MP3 files -- that is, all the "proper" takes, all the out-takes, and all the talk between the takes as well. In addition the data part contains playlists (.M3U files) which can be loaded by any reasonable MP3 playing application. The playlists provided will play a selections of the material such as, only all the out-takes, or only the non-musical parts, or just "play everything."

This material is encoded at 256 kbit/sec (using the Lame encoder) and is not copy protected, so you can transfer it to your ipod or other MP3 player freely.

The audio part is not copy protected either, so if you felt like it, you could rip and encode the audio tracks to any bitrate you desire.

I got both new re-issues meanwhile from Swedish cdon.com and the Jazz par Svenska sounds really good to me. Although my swedish is lousy (close to nothing :g ) I enjoyed that mp3 as well as ALL cut outs for the tracks.

Tjobbe, do you know if the original liners (I think by Ingemar Glanzelius) to "Jazz på ryska" are once again included? They were on the Megafon twofer, but were dropped from the Heptagon 1994 reissue.

Hi Daniel,

I do not know those liner notes, but when checking the both new booklets, there is no reference on the Ryska one as well as both are in swedish only (not an issue for you ;) I know )

The Ryska one doesn't have any additional information beside the generic bio, a short written intro and the line-up as well as recording data (that the two-fer does not contain).

So basically the add-value is the MP3 cut-out section and the alternate takes as well the improved sound (haven't compared the Ryska yet...., still some new unheard ones on the stock pile)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks for checking, Tjobbe!

The original liners were kind of funny, though not exactly insightful to any striking extent. At some point during that last few years someone (I forgot who) borrowed my copy, and it doesn't seem as it's coming back. I was just curious if I could get hold of those liners again. Suppose I'll have to seek out a battered vinyl copy too... :)

I'll say one thing. Anyone who hasn't checked out Jan Johansson is doing themselves a serious disservice. This guy is the real deal. I would recommend 8 Bitar / Innertrio on Heptagon Records as a nice jumping off point.

Johansson died in a car accident when he was in his early 30's. What a loss to the music that was.

Up over and out.

• 1 year later...

Some news on the Jan Johansson remasters:

it seems that there is a new rematser of Musik Genom Fyra Sekler out at cdbaby...

Has anyone checked that out and compared to the original version and can either recommend an upgrade ? Is there as well some additional footage embedded ?

Cheers, Oliver

EDIT: the new 2CD set is as well available at www.cdon.com for european orders.

Edited by tjobbe