Saga Jazz

cayetano

This is a collection of 50 references. Digipacks with a look similar to the Jazz in Paris series.

Any opinions about the music or the sound?

CD 1 LOUIS ARMSTRONG Memories of New Orleans

CD 2 LOUIS ARMSTRONG Meets the Girls

CD 3 MILES DAVIS Birth of a Leader

CD 4 SIDNEY BECHET New Orleans - Paris (& vice versa)

CD 5 CHARLIE PARKER & DIZZY GILLESPIE Together

CD 6 COLEMAN HAWKINS Henderson Days

CD 7 LESTER YOUNG Basie Days

CD 8 STAN GETZ and the Guitarists

CD 9 GERRY MULLIGAN with Chet Baker & Friends

CD 10 JELLY ROLL MORTON “Originator of Jazz”

CD 11 FATS WALLER Alligator Crawl

CD 12 NAT KING COLE The Pianist

CD 13 THELONIOUS MONK Monk plays Thelonious

CD 14 THE DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET First Definitions

CD 15 LIONEL HAMPTON Goodman Days

CD 16 MILT JACKSON Early MJQ

CD 17 DJANGO REINHARDT & MICHEL WARLOP Two of a Kind

CD 18 STÉPHANE GRAPPELLI A Froggy plays in London Town

CD 19 ETHEL WATERS Diva

CD 20 BILLIE HOLIDAY Happy Billie

CD 21 ELLA FITZGERALD Swingin’ Ella

CD 22 FRANK SINATRA Jazz !!!

CD 23 LOUIS JORDAN Father of Rhythm’n blues & Rock’n Roll

CD 24 RAY CHARLES Singin’ the Blues with Soul

CD 25 THE MILLS BROTHERS A Family Affair

CD 26 DUKE ELLINGTON Duke’s Singing Ladies

CD 27 CAB CALLOWAY Zaz Zuh Zaz

CD 28 JIMMIE LUNCEFORD The Perfect Big Band

CD 29 GLENN MILLER Radio Days

CD 30 THE PRESIDENT’S MEN Lester Young’s Disciples

CD 31 STRIDE PIANO James P. Johnson, Fats Waller, Willie “The Lion” Smith…

CD 32 BEBOP PIANO Bud Powell, Al Haig, Thelonious Monk…

CD 33 BOOGIE WOOGIE Rockin’ Roots Tracks

CD 34 JAZZ MASTERS OF ACOUSTIC GUITAR and some Bluesmen too

CD 35 TAP DANCING Harlem - Broadway - Hollywood

CD 36 SCAT SINGING The Art of Vocal Jazz

CD 37 BIG BANDS Live !!!

CD 38 RHYTHM AND BLUES BIG BANDS Jazz that Rocks

CD 39 NOW THEY CALL IT SWING ! No. 1 Chart Hits Only

CD 40 JAZZ & HUMOUR Une petite laitue… avec de la mayonnaise

CD 41 JAZZ CATS Felix and other Cats

CD 42 JAZZWOMEN Great Instrumental Gals

CD 43 LATIN JAZZ Afro-Cuban Jazz Pioneers

CD 44 JAZZ À LA GITANE Bands of Gypsies

CD 45 JAZZ & EUROPEAN SONGS vol. 1 France, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy

CD 46 JAZZ & EUROPEAN SONGS vol. 2 England, Scotland, Ireland, Russia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia

CD 47 JAZZIN’ THE CLASSICS vol. 1 A Musical Sacrilege : from Bach to Liszt

CD 48 JAZZIN’ THE CLASSICS vol. 2 A Musical Sacrilege : from Massenet to Weber

CD 49 HOT TRAINS Daybreak Express and other Swing Tracks

CD 50 SAGA CITY A Jazz Travel Guide

http://www.sagajazz.com/

P.D. Thanks for the info about jazz stores in Paris, I will travel to Paris in August.

I have seen the Saga digipaks but have not heard any of them yet.

The collection was started by refugees from the Masters of Jazz series sinking

The fact that these people were involved with the Masters of Jazz

series should be a good omen.

The Saga digipaks should be good for anyone looking for a quick introduction to

some great jazz. They have some good compilations, all within the 50-year

copyright laws that is the norm in the European Union. This means that none

of the Saga CDs include post-1953 material.

I see a number of these at secondhand shops in Paris at low prices.

• 4 months later...

I have picked up three Sagajazz discs since I posted last.

Milt Jackson, Early MJQ - I don't have it at hand. It has, if I remember correctly, one Prestige date, two DeeGee dates, the Blue Note date with Lou Donaldson (also on the Jackson RVG) and one date for another small label whose name escapes me. A very nice collection. Much of Jackson's playing is very bluesy. Kenny Clarke is on drums (I don't remember if he is on all the quartet sides, or not), so this is Jackson before Connie Kay. While I have not yet (YET stressed) explored anything later by the Modern Jazz Quartet, I love these early sides.

(There is a similar reissue of four of the same dates, and one other, on Definitive, by the way.)

Then I just picked up "Count Basie Septet & Octet - On Film & Live". This has the following tracks:

Hollywood, late August 1950: Clark Terry - t, Buddy DeFranco - cl, Wardell Gray - ts, Basie - p, Freddie Green - g, Jimmy Lewis - b, Gus Johnson - d, Billie Holiday - voc (-1)

GOD BLESS THE CHILD (-1)

NOW, BABY, OR NEVER (-1)

FELANGES

ONE O'CLOCK JUMP

Universal film shots, directed by Wil Cowan.

NYC, prob. October 1950: same personnel, Holiday out, Helen Humes - voc (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

BASIE'S CONVERSATION (BASS CONVERSATION)

BASIE BOOGIE

IF I COULD BE WITH YOU (-1)

I CRIED FOR YOU (-1)

Snader Telescriptions (short films)

NYC, poss. December 1950: unidentified - t, Marshall Royal - cl, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson

3:15 A.M. BLUES

DONNA LEE

C JAM BLUES

ROBBINS' NEST

Live recording, unknown broadcast location

NYC, April 20, 1951: Terry, Royal, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson, poss. Symphony Sid - mc

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

MOVE

BASIE BOOGIE

BLUEBEARD BLUES

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

(Note: Bluebeard Blues is announced by the MC as Golden Bullet)

Stars on Parade, WNEW Broadcast

Birdland, NYC April 28, 1951: same personnel as April 21, add Buck Clayton - t (-1), omit Sid

JUMPIN' AT THE WOODSIDE

HOW HIGH THE MOON / ORNITHOLOGY

OH, LADY BE GOOD (-1)

BLUEBEARD BLUES (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

WNEW Broadcast

This is a very good collection. Some of the tunes (from the live sessions) are quite long. How High The Moon Clock in at 8:42. Wardell Gray is BAAD! And DeFranco, Terry, Royal are not bad either.

It's quite intriguing to hear Basie doing tunes as Move, Ornithology, or Donna Lee.

Check it out!

In the liner notes, another Basie "CD featuring all the other studio recordings of the Count's small groups in 1950-1951" is announced.

So, does this disc above include all live / movie dates by Basie from 50/51?

The other CD I have picked up: Stan Getz "From Long Island to Stockholm". This collects various quartet dates for Prestige and Roost (all available in their complete forms on either some OJCCDs or the fabulous Getz Roost 3CD set released by Blue Note some years ago - one of my very favorite box-sets ever, by the way!). The reason why I bought this lies in the sessions following those quartet dates (none of these is complete on the CD, I think, and I'd not have bought it for that only, actually): There are all (?) eight sides Getz made in Sweden in March 1951:

Stockholm, March 23, 1951: Stan Getz and his Swedish All Stars:

Stan Getz - ts, Bengt Hallberg - p, Gunnar Johnson - b, Jack Noren - d.

ACK VÄRMELAND DU SKÖNA (DEAR OLD STOCKHOLM)

S' COOL BOYS

NIGHT AND DAY

I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU

PRELUDE TO A KISS

I'M GETTING SENTIMENTAL OVER YOU

Stockholm, March 24, 1951: Stan Getz and his Swedish All Stars:

Same personnel, add Lars Gullin - bari, Yngve Akerberg - b, replaces Johnson.

FLAMINGO

DON'T BE AFRAID.

I never saw these Swedish sides on a Getz CD (well, I have not looked for them either...).

Big :tup for the production of these Sagajazz releases! The team includes people involved also in the Jazz in Paris reissues. Alain Tercinet, for instance selected the tracks for the Getz CD. Remastering seems to be as good as it gets.

Cover art is quite nice as well, notes are in French and English, and while they're usually rather short, they contain some rather relevant information.

By the way, both of these discs come from the probably rather recent new batch, numbers 51-60.

You can find the whole listing of the series on the website, sagajazz.com (it includes track listings and years of recording for each track, but no personnel information).

ubu

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Up because Saga Jazz is releasing a series of at least five CDs on August 16 in their new budget 'Modern Series'.

The new releases include:

- Sarah Vaughan 'Shulie A Bop',

- Chet Baker Quartet 'Easy To Love'

- Miles Davis + 3

- West Coast Jazz 'Hermosa Beach 1951-1954'

- Black California 'Central Avenue 1945-1950'

The new releases do not appear yet on the label site: http://www.sagajazz.com/

Just a reminder that Saga Jazz is the label that was started by the people who produced the superb Masters of Jazz series until it folded.

Their CDs are excellent compilations of previously released material recorded more than 50 years ago.

The Black California CD (the only one I have yet) has 21 sides by Slim Gaillard, Lester Young, Baron Mingus, Roy Porter, Gerry Wiggins, Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, Lucky Thompson, Sonny Criss, Buddy Collette, etc...

I have picked up three Sagajazz discs since I posted last.

Milt Jackson, Early MJQ - I don't have it at hand. It has, if I remember correctly, one Prestige date, two DeeGee dates, the Blue Note date with Lou Donaldson (also on the Jackson RVG) and one date for another small label whose name escapes me. A very nice collection. Much of Jackson's playing is very bluesy. Kenny Clarke is on drums (I don't remember if he is on all the quartet sides, or not), so this is Jackson before Connie Kay. While I have not yet (YET stressed) explored anything later by the Modern Jazz Quartet, I love these early sides.

(There is a similar reissue of four of the same dates, and one other, on Definitive, by the way.)

Then I just picked up "Count Basie Septet & Octet - On Film & Live". This has the following tracks:

Hollywood, late August 1950: Clark Terry - t, Buddy DeFranco - cl, Wardell Gray - ts, Basie - p, Freddie Green - g, Jimmy Lewis - b, Gus Johnson - d, Billie Holiday - voc (-1)

GOD BLESS THE CHILD (-1)

NOW, BABY, OR NEVER (-1)

FELANGES

ONE O'CLOCK JUMP

Universal film shots, directed by Wil Cowan.

NYC, prob. October 1950: same personnel, Holiday out, Helen Humes - voc (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

BASIE'S CONVERSATION (BASS CONVERSATION)

BASIE BOOGIE

IF I COULD BE WITH YOU (-1)

I CRIED FOR YOU (-1)

Snader Telescriptions (short films)

NYC, poss. December 1950: unidentified - t, Marshall Royal - cl, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson

3:15 A.M. BLUES

DONNA LEE

C JAM BLUES

ROBBINS' NEST

Live recording, unknown broadcast location

NYC, April 20, 1951: Terry, Royal, Gray, Basie, Green, Lewis, Johnson, poss. Symphony Sid - mc

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

MOVE

BASIE BOOGIE

BLUEBEARD BLUES

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

(Note: Bluebeard Blues is announced by the MC as Golden Bullet)

Stars on Parade, WNEW Broadcast

Birdland, NYC April 28, 1951: same personnel as April 21, add Buck Clayton - t (-1), omit Sid

JUMPIN' AT THE WOODSIDE

HOW HIGH THE MOON / ORNITHOLOGY

OH, LADY BE GOOD (-1)

BLUEBEARD BLUES (-1)

ONE O' CLOCK JUMP

WNEW Broadcast

This is a very good collection. Some of the tunes (from the live sessions) are quite long. How High The Moon Clock in at 8:42. Wardell Gray is BAAD! And DeFranco, Terry, Royal are not bad either.

It's quite intriguing to hear Basie doing tunes as Move, Ornithology, or Donna Lee.

Check it out!

In the liner notes, another Basie "CD featuring all the other studio recordings of the Count's small groups in 1950-1951" is announced.

So, does this disc above include all live / movie dates by Basie from 50/51?

The other CD I have picked up: Stan Getz "From Long Island to Stockholm". This collects various quartet dates for Prestige and Roost (all available in their complete forms on either some OJCCDs or the fabulous Getz Roost 3CD set released by Blue Note some years ago - one of my very favorite box-sets ever, by the way!). The reason why I bought this lies in the sessions following those quartet dates (none of these is complete on the CD, I think, and I'd not have bought it for that only, actually): There are all (?) eight sides Getz made in Sweden in March 1951:

Stockholm, March 23, 1951: Stan Getz and his Swedish All Stars:

Stan Getz - ts, Bengt Hallberg - p, Gunnar Johnson - b, Jack Noren - d.

ACK VÄRMELAND DU SKÖNA (DEAR OLD STOCKHOLM)

S' COOL BOYS

NIGHT AND DAY

I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU

PRELUDE TO A KISS

I'M GETTING SENTIMENTAL OVER YOU

Stockholm, March 24, 1951: Stan Getz and his Swedish All Stars:

Same personnel, add Lars Gullin - bari, Yngve Akerberg - b, replaces Johnson.

FLAMINGO

DON'T BE AFRAID.

I never saw these Swedish sides on a Getz CD (well, I have not looked for them either...).

Big  :tup  for the production of these Sagajazz releases! The team includes people involved also in the Jazz in Paris reissues. Alain Tercinet, for instance selected the tracks for the Getz CD. Remastering seems to be as good as it gets.

Cover art is quite nice as well, notes are in French and English, and while they're usually rather short, they contain some rather relevant information.

By the way, both of these discs come from the probably rather recent new batch, numbers 51-60.

You can find the whole listing of the series on the website, sagajazz.com (it includes track listings and years of recording for each track, but no personnel information).

ubu

FOR STAN GETZ IN SWEDEN TRY

http://www.visarkiv.se/jazzdiskografi/

search under G

These are indeed compilations but they are very well done. Most of the tracks may be available in complete forms but they would be pretty hard to assemble.

Of the new batch, I have only the Black California CD.

In the tracks included in this compilation, there are new tracks to me, the following are among them:

- Wilbert Baranco's 'Night and Day' (recorded for Black&White),

- Buddy Collette's 'It's April' (recorded for Dolphin's of Hollywood), a 1948 session that I did not find in the Lord discography.

Others tracks come from the Dial, Savoy, King, Clef, Decca, etc... catalogues.

• 2 years later...