Walt Dickerson

felser

Anyone know the status of master tapes for Walt Dickerson's 'Unity'? Originally on Audiofidelity. Any chance of seeing a CD issue? Would also like to see his 'Jazz Impressions of Lawrence of Arabia' on CD. Unbelievably underrated musician. I'm so glad his Prestige/New Jazz stuff came out on CD, and that the Steeplechase sets are available on CD.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

felser,

I believe Walt Dickerson still lives in your area. Did you realize this? I would love to see him playing out again. I would travel great distances to be in the same room with his music.

I also think he's still in Philly. This is not a good city for live jazz at this point (it was good back in the 70's, but now, don't get me started. Very few live venues here now, and none seem to have pure agenda of presenting best talent, local or otherwise), and I've managed to go 30+ years without ever seeing Dickerson or Khan Jamal live here, even though both have lived here (don't know that Jamal still does). Dickerson is like 74 years old now, I'm not sure if he's still active. I'll note it on the board if I ever see Dickerson listed for playing live.

Khan Jamal still lives here and is active. He had around a half dozen gigs in the area this year. (Including a free one last week at the Kimmel Center.) He's also done some recording for CIMP. (Plug: see phillyjazz.Jazzmatazz.info.)

Walt Dickerson is living with his son in the suburbs. He's still practicing. I think he'd like to play. I've passed his name along, but he may not have found any place that meets his requirements.

What are his requirements?

I don't think I know all of them. One requirement was a non-smoking environment, which eliminates him from most of the clubs. (Unless and until a smoking ban is enacted in Philly.)

He may have wanted vibes provided. I don't know his monetary requirement.

I think I pased his name along to a booker who does some more avant garde things, but don't think anything developed.

Maybe I'll try to ask some of the other musicians in his area for ideas.

Edited by alankin

Khan Jamal still lives here and is active.  He had around a half dozen gigs in the area this year.  (Including a free one last week at the Kimmel Center.)  He's also done some recording for CIMP.  (Plug: see phillyjazz.Jazzmatazz.info.)

Walt Dickerson is living with his son in the suburbs.  He's still practicing.  I think he'd like to play.  I've passed his name along, but he may not have found any place that meets his requirements.

Alan, thx for the info. I didn't know about the Kimmel center gig by Jamal. I'm way out of circulation at the moment, due to family needs. If you think of it, drop me an email if you see Jamal will be playing live again in the area.

What are his requirements?

I don't think I know all of them. One requirement was a non-smoking environment, which eliminates him from most of the clubs. (Unless and until a smoking ban is enacted in Philly.)

He may have wanted vibes provided. I don't know his monetary requirement.

I think I pased his name along to a booker who does some more avant garde things, but don't think anything developed.

Maybe I'll try to ask some of the other musicians in his area for ideas.

Alan

After reading your post I emailed Mark Christman. He replied almost immediately

I absolutely want to have Walt perform. Do you have contact information?

Or, know anything about his current state, etc?

Regards,

Mark

So if you can email Mark or call(the info is available on the ArsNova site) w/ Walt's contact info I think he'll get the ball rolling!! :):):)

Khan Jamal still lives here and is active.  He had around a half dozen gigs in the area this year.  (Including a free one last week at the Kimmel Center.)  He's also done some recording for CIMP.  (Plug: see phillyjazz.Jazzmatazz.info.)

Walt Dickerson is living with his son in the suburbs.  He's still practicing.  I think he'd like to play.  I've passed his name along, but he may not have found any place that meets his requirements.

Alan, thx for the info. I didn't know about the Kimmel center gig by Jamal. I'm way out of circulation at the moment, due to family needs. If you think of it, drop me an email if you see Jamal will be playing live again in the area.

Your wish is my command. Announced today:

Friday, October 21 | 8pm

SUNNY MURRAY FACTOR

with

Khan Jamal, vibraphone

Sabir Mateen, saxophone

Odean Pope, saxophone

Ed Crockett, bass

Sunny Murray, drums

Community Education Center (CEC) Theater, 3500 Lancaster Avenue | Philadelphia

$12 General Admission | All ages

Friday, October 21 | 8pm

SUNNY MURRAY FACTOR

with

Khan Jamal, vibraphone

Sabir Mateen, saxophone

Odean Pope, saxophone

Ed Crockett, bass

Sunny Murray, drums

Thx Alan. Is that the site which was the Millcreek Jazz Center in the early 90's?

would love to make it, will be tough on such short notice, but maybe. By the way, how does one become a "groove master" or "veteran groover" or "dr. funkenstein" something similar, instead of just a "member" in this community?

Friday, October 21 | 8pm

SUNNY MURRAY FACTOR

with

Khan Jamal, vibraphone

Sabir Mateen, saxophone

Odean Pope, saxophone

Ed Crockett, bass

Sunny Murray, drums

Is there anyone who got to this concert and can report on it? We had family needs tonight, so I really couldn't go out.