Dark Classical Reccomendations

md655321

Another big welcome back to Clem, whom I've missed. Send more dispatches from Gritsville!

This thread has me thinking, what's wrong with me? I don't hear a lot of this music as particularly dark. Not Feldman, not Webern, not "Verklarte Nacht mit umlaut." Nor most of Varese.

But yes to Pettersson and Zimmermann, as Clem said.

The Seventh Symphony and "Tapiola" by Sibelius scare the crap out of me, because they sound like a human being shutting himself off from the world. That's dark.

Edited by Spontooneous

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]

Try -- Mussorgsky:  Night on Bald Mountain

Yes, but try a reading from the original score (f. ex. the Dohnanyi recording with the Cleveland Orchestra) and not the reworked and overly syrupy Rimsky-Korsakov version produced about 20 years later, in 1886, which is the one found on CD/LP in 99% of the cases (and which is also the one in which it received its first performance).

There is a world of a difference between those two versions.

Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta" is dark enough for most purposes, I should think.

Varese's "Ionization"----I don't know about 'dark' but it sure can clear a room!

The endings of both those pieces are absolutely joyous. There's some darkness along the way, but the endings are pure sunlight. For me anyway.

Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta" is dark enough for most purposes, I should think.

Varese's "Ionization"----I don't know about 'dark' but it sure can clear a room!

The endings of both those pieces are absolutely joyous. There's some darkness along the way, but the endings are pure sunlight. For me anyway.

I think of it as the dawn after the night.

One man's darkness is another man's joy.

One man's darkness is another man's joy.

Quite.

ii'm sure i'm forgetting some & at the moment i like Arvo Part quite a bit while Shostakovich quite annoys me outside the preludes & fugues... i've done my time w/Elgar & i've done it w/the finger of a gal who practiced Chopin nocturnes during the day in my ___... i'd never say it's all good but there's a lot to explore. try the library first or hit up yr collector pals.

signed,

the sepia bach

gritzburg, germany

Clem, if you include Monteverdi (no problem with that at all), why leave out Gesualdo? Very much worth exploring...

Dark... very dark...

Oh!

Welcome back ;)

THE GREATEST JAZZ BOOK EVER

"Three to Kill" by Jean-Patrick Manchette

only two of his books have been trans. to American, published by City Lights but I don't think they sold very well at all. is the rest of J-P M worth tracking down en Francaic?

You most probably mean 'Le Petit Bleu de la Cote Ouest'.

Magnifique book!

Manchette is far from forgotten over here.

There's quite a number of his books being currently reissued including that 'Cote Ouest' which has been illustrated by Jacques Tardi and came out a few weeks ago.

Surprised that couw has not been raving about that Manchette/Tardi yet!

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/27316...08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm on unfamiliar territory with your Gilles Binchois... Curiosity been aroused!

THE GREATEST JAZZ BOOK EVER

"Three to Kill" by Jean-Patrick Manchette

only two of his books have been trans. to American, published by City Lights but I don't think they sold very well at all. is the rest of J-P M worth tracking down en Francaic?

Magnifique book!

There's quite a number of his books being currently reissued including that 'Cote Ouest' which has been illustrated by Jacques Tardi and came out a few weeks ago.

I'm on unfamiliar territory with your Gilles Binchois... Curiosity been aroused!

I'm far from an expert, but I've got a friend who is quite into all the "old" stuff, and he played some Binchois for me once... I know very little about this music, but I've got a few things by Machaut and Ockeghem (and some that I think have not been mentioned here, like Lassus... prob. not dark enough?)

Welcome back, Clem! I always enjoyed your posts (even though the language bareer made some of them unreadable or very hard to read, to say the least...)

• 15 years later...
On 10/21/2005 at 8:14 AM, brownie said:

Magnifique book!

New York Review of Books has published several English translations of Jean-Patrick Manchette’s novels since this post (15 years ago, mon dieu!). And Fantagraphics just brought out two Graphic-fiction volumes of Manchette/Tardi collaborations and adaptations. Both volumes and a copy of Nada will be landing on my doorstep sometime this week... looking forward to exploring the world of Manchette!