What's wrong with this picture???

Guest Chaney

Well, there are six tunes on this set. Maybe "quintet" refers to the number of tunes... but it's STILL wrong!

It's a shame that Divine died before revealing the answer to this mystery.

babs3.gif

This is by Andrew's (what appears to be the) regular quartet at the time. The same lineup appears on the East Wind title (Blue Black) that recently appeared on CD.

B00006JOMO.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Vass has the light, dry tone on alto and flute. White and Williams may not be that well known, but they are more than competent to handle the complexities Andew set in his compositions.

Both Divine Revelation and Blue Black sound like the extension from Hill's Blue Notes (Smoke Stack and Judgment). There are some meandering/confusing moments, but the records deliver several inspired stretches of music that leave the listener (this one, at least) satisfied in the end.

Yeah, it's a darn fine side. I got the old Inner City release of it. I dig Vass inparticular, lots of "snakey" (as in winding phraseology, not as in "snakecharmer") playing on his part.

If you dig Hill at all, I think you'll be quite pleased with this one.

:tup:tup:tup:tup