The question is: Who is John Zorn?

DTMX

So last night (Oct 18th, 2005) I'm lying in a hotel room, listening to Soft Machine on the iPod and watching Jeopardy with the sound muted - 'cause that's just how I roll when I'm in Reno.

I don't what the category was but something like this pops up on the television screen:

This New York City-based free jazz saxophonist has recorded tributes to Ennio Morricone and Ornette Coleman.

After a big "Dooo-WHAAAAT?" I jump up, find the remote and unmute the television and I can hear Naked City's Inside Straight playing while the three contestants stand there dumbfounded.

Then Alex Trebek says something like "I see that no one's finger is near the button of their signaling device, while we listen to the music of John Zorn... John Zorn."

edit: And it was the last question of the column, which makes it one of the big money ones.

Edited by DTMX

So last night (Oct 18th, 2005) I'm lying in a hotel room, listening to Soft Machine on the iPod and watching Jeopardy with the sound muted - 'cause that's just how I roll when I'm in Reno.

I don't what the category was but something like this pops up on the television screen:

This New York City-based free jazz saxophonist has recorded tributes to Ennio Morricone and Ornette Coleman.

After a big "Dooo-WHAAAAT?" I jump up, find the remote and unmute the television and I can hear Naked City's Inside Straight playing while the three contestants stand there dumbfounded.

Then Alex Trebek says something like "I see that no one's finger is near the button of their signaling device, while we listen to the music of John Zorn...  John Zorn."

edit: And it was the last question of the column, which makes it one of the big money ones.

Yeah, I saw this on the Zorn list this morning.

I'm sure I'd never get an easy question like that if I ever got on Jeopardy.

Hell, most of us here could have gotten it just from a 5 or 10 second audioclip of this...

c49847gi290.jpg

Man, I love that disc.

I play that disc sometimes for my rocker friends and they love it.

One of the few albums I own that actually comes through over an airplane...

I keep hoping Zorn'll reissue that one in a remastered version--the Power Station sound is so wretchedly tinny.  Great "Mob Job" on there.

Great repertoire, really. Any album that includes a composition off "The Empty Foxhole" gets props in my book. I agree, though--sounds a bit too metallic... and it's sort of a one note samba. I think the subtler cuts (like "Mob Job") come across extraordinarily well.

Trebek is a Canadian with a Philosophy degree. Need I say more? :g

In his past he was also the host of Music Hop:

In the era of Top Forty radio, and on the eve of the British invasion, CBC Toronto introduced Music Hop, an after-school program of rock 'n' roll and pop music for teenagers. Staff announcer Alex Trebek, who also worked as the quizmaster on Reach For The Top, was like the young, more-hip-than-the-rest-of-them high school teacher, and presided over the show.

The house band was Norm Amadio and the Rhythm Rockers, who were composed of Amadio on piano, John Stockfish on bass, Red Shea on guitar, Don Thompson on tenor saxophone, and Alex Lazaroff on drums. Shea and Thompson occupied one section of the bandstand, and acted as the band's clowns. Thompson, who wore horn-rimmed spectacles, had a wasted look that made him appear a leftover from the beat era (and, in fact, his musical allegiances lay more in jazz than in the rock or rhythm 'n' blues parts he played for the show. Thompson was known in Toronto music circles as "D.T." to distinguish him from the other Don Thompson, who plays bass and keyboards.) Shea, with a pompadour and duck's-ass haircut had a James Dean/Juvenile Delinquent look, and also looked the youngest of the troupe. (Not long after their Music Hop gig, Shea and Stockfish took up jobs as Gordon Lightfoot's regular backup musicians.)

Each week, Trebek introduced guest musicians and numbers from the regular performers as the teens in the audience danced.

And you guys got Dick Clark :lol: