2005 World Series

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, White Sox!!!  Jermaine Dye is the MVP....and deserves it.  I think he played the best overall of all the Sox. 

Astros have their work cut out this off season for sure.  Their D was solid, but pitching and hitting were strangely absent.  Need some work.

Wonder if they had Jeff Kent and Carlos Beltran, how different this series would have been. Perhaps they should trade to get them back! :g:rolleyes:

Well done, White Sox!!!  Jermaine Dye is the MVP....and deserves it.  I think he played the best overall of all the Sox. 

Astros have their work cut out this off season for sure.  Their D was solid, but pitching and hitting were strangely absent.  Need some work.

Wonder if they had Jeff Kent and Carlos Beltran, how different this series would have been. Perhaps they should trade to get them back! :g:rolleyes:

I don't think Kent was that big a loss. But Beltran was - i don't know why the Astros wouldn't match the Met's offer - it wasn't THAT much higher. Or why Beltran wouldn't stay with the Astros anyway, for just a little less. They seemed to have more potential than the Mets anyway.

Astros EARNED their way into the World Series, especially after the start to the season they had. But they sure didn't play the way they were capable of, for these 4 games.

Well, the Astros pitching certainly did their part. The White Sox had to seriously work for almost every run they had (fluke home run and walk-in insurance run excluded).

As excited as I am that we swept (the perfect ending to a pretty much perfect year), I would have liked to have seen us play the Astros of the NLCS, because it almost seemed like two different teams.

It certainly didn't help matters much that the Sox seemed to slump a little bit after the first two games of this series. I think that if the White Sox of the ALCS and the Astros of the NLCS had met each other, this would've been a series to 7.

But, seriously, my hats off to the Astros. Your pitchers are amazing, and it was a fun series to watch.

That said, if I may gloat for a second here...

NA NA NA NA...NA NA NA NA...HEY HEY HEY GOOD-BYE!!!!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX: 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jazzypaul

I really, really, really wanted to see the Astros win one...just one damn game! :( Has a team ever gone longer without scoring in the world series?

The 1966 Dodgers went 33 innings without scoring vs. the Baltimore Orioles. Not positive if that's the record but it sure is grim!

They scored 1 run in the 2nd & 3rd innings of Game 1 and that was all she wrote.

is ozzie the youngest manager to win??

Not sure if it's the record, but Bucky Harris won the '24 World Series with the Senators as an almost 28 year old player-manager.

More importantly, I do know that this is the first time I've been older than the winning manager of the World Series. :P

Man, that was a tough series -- so much so that I felt almost no sense of fun (as I did fairly often when were playing the Red Sox and Angels) until almost the very end, specifically the last two plays that Uribe made. That guy is incredibly loose! To dive into the stands like that is one thing (and not everyone would -- as in would for real, not for show), but to do that and do it successfully calls for a rare combination of let-it-all-hang-out effort and, again, tremendous looseness. Uribe also stands for how many guys on this team made genuine and to some degree unexpected or unlikely contributions. The rejuvenation of Crede (lots of Sox fans were calling for his head well beyond mid-season); the incredible turnaround of Contreras at mid-season, at a point when it seemed likely that he'd be dropped from the rotation; the return of El Duque, with his huge relief stints against the Red Sox and last night the Astros; Willie Harris, another semi-lost soul (sent down to the minors at one point this year), getting that hit tonight and scoring the winning run; Blum's homer the night before; hell, even Mr. Gasoline on the Fire Marte did some effective, if scary, pitching on Tuesday. I really can't think of a single player on the roster who didn't do something big this year at some time. And don't forget Frank Thomas, who had about three weeks in mid-season where he virtually carried the team at just the point when almost everyone else suddenly stopped hitting. Without that boost, I think the Sox would have been at or below .500 during that stretch, but Frank kept them airborne there, and when he then screwed up his foot and was lost for the rest of the season, we had enough of a lead to carry us through that mad rush from the Indians. And don't forget Dustin Hermanson, who not only was a great closer until his back acted up in August but who also had to take over the closer role early in the year from the ineffective (and eventually discarded) Shingo Takatsu. Hey, even rookie outfielder Brian Anderson, not on the playoff roster, won at least one game for us with a big hit during the Indians' final onslaught.

Larry - thanks very much for those answers!

I'm getting there with baseball - it's pretty gripping when it's like this!

Mind you, it had to be gripping last night - here in the UK, the game finished at around 8.30 am. :wacko:

I really like the White Sox - I think I'm going to adopt them. My one time in the States so far was in Chicago, and I looked out for their results all season, so that'll do for me. I don't really understand all the animosity towards them (although Pierszcinski (sp.?) could get on my nerves, especially if I wasn't particularly predisposed to the Sox anyway!)

It was intriguing watching Oswalt pitch to Pierszcinski at the start of the game. Looked to me like he was trying to hit him in his first couple of at bats?

It's possible that he was NOT trying to hit him but rather to pitch him very close, to keep the ball inside(closer to the hitter) to prevent the hitter from extending his arms and getting a good swing on a pitch. With an inside pitch the pitcher hopes to jam the hitter and cause defensive swings that frequently result in pop-ups or groundballs.

I believe you also questioned home field advantage and Larry Kart gave you a great answer but he did leave out one factor: in the ninth inning or in extra innings the home team has an advantage because they bat last. If the game is tied in the 9th inning or a later inning and the home team scores, the game is over. By contrast, if the visitors take a one run lead in the ninth or in extra innings, they still must get the home team out without allowing any runs. Last year, the Yankees were playing the Twins in NYC when the Twins scored three times in the 13th(?) inning. The Yankees got up in the bottom of the inning and got a grand slam and won the game. Had the game been in Minnesota, as soon as the Twins scored once in the 13th inning the game would have been over.

Thanks for that - my next question (who batted first). The psychology really differs!

Should have posted this yesterday, but according to Geoff Blum (interviewed Wednesday morning on Chicago sports radio), these were the inspirational words that A.J. Pierzynski spoke to him in the dugout before Blum went to bat in the 14th inning Tuesday night: "Mr. Fatty's hungry. Let's get this thing over so we can polish off the spread."