2005 World Series

OK, let's try to be civil to each other.

Loved this game tonight. It had a bit of everything - clutch hitting (Crede and Berkman), wonderful plays in the field (Crede), excellent middle relief on both sides, and a terrific closing performance by Jenks. Great start to what should be a very good series.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 100 mph fastball that Jenks throws is scary!

I don't know what happened to Clemens, but losing him affected the game I think. The guy that replaced him (Wandy? something) didn't get the job done, walked too many batters. And I wonder if hitting Bagwell twice was possibly intentional.

Otherwise I think the Astros played decently enough. Just couldn't get the clutch hits. Ensberg needs to pick up his hitting in this series though. O-fer from your cleanup hitter don't cut it.

Looks like it could be a decent series!

Edited by Aggie87

Benny Hill?

You should have seen Jencks being interviewed after the game on local TV, with his legs bare from mid-thigh down. Looked like he had a orange tattoo on the right thigh (who gets tattoos there? could it have been a joke decal? it looked a bit like the Astros' star logo), and the two legs, both incredibly thick, also looked oddly different from each other -- the right one was pale white and virtually hairless, like it had been in a cast for several months. Altogether, an even scarier looking guy in that format than he is on the mound. On the other hand, he did speak more coherently (and amiably) than a good many ballplayers.

Benny Hill?

You should have seen Jencks being interviewed after the game on local TV, with his legs bare from mid-thigh down. Looked like he had a orange tattoo on the right thigh (who gets tattoos there? could it have been a joke decal? it looked a bit like the Astros' star logo), and the two legs, both incredibly thick, also looked oddly different from each other -- the right one was pale white and virtually hairless, like it had been in a cast for several months. Altogether, an even scarier looking guy in that format than he is on the mound. On the other hand, he did speak more coherently (and amiably)  than a good many ballplayers.

Are you baiting us Larry?

That was a TOUGH game. I almost lost it when Ozzie had Marte warming up in the bullpen. For you non-Sox fans, Marte's history in recent outings has been that of a "I don't dare throw a strike, now I'd better groove one" head case. Actually, that's pretty much what Don Cooper miraculously cured Contreras of in mid-season, though he reverted at times tonight, in large part because he didn't have his recent fine command. But Marte -- just shoot me.

Although I'm a long time fan (40 years), these teams just don't do it for me. Just not interested in this series. Just doesn't seem to have the fizz. I've watched every other one since I've been a kid but this one just leaves me yawning. Actually switched it off midway to watch AFI's 100 greatest movie quotes.

Separated At Birth?

Bobby Jenks:

JP02_Black48.jpg

Bobby Hill:

MB_BobbyHill.jpg

Hell, the way that Jenks' heat resembles Nolan Ryan's, I'd not be surprised to find out that he is Hank Hill's boy!

WTF? Something about the World Serious always seems to inspire this stuff! http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14292

BTW, I'm not that interested in either team, but I'm pulling for the ChiSox. How can you not pull for a team that hasn't won a championship for 87 years? (...and if they win, my Giants will move that much closer toward the front of the "It's about time to get a championship" line. :cool: )

How can you not pull for a team that hasn't won a championship for 87 years?

By pulling for a "home" team that's never even been to a World Series? :g

But that's cool. I'm down w/the Sox as well, been a fan since the late 60s, the days of great arms and (almost) no bats. So if they beat the Astros, I'll not be too bummed. And since I'm not from Chicago, I can be (and am) a Cubs fan as well.

But I've been an Astros fans since they were the Colt .45s. Went to 6 or so games the first season the Astrodome was open (have yet to get down to Enron, though. Oh well...). Still have vivid memories of the 2 game "comeback" by Robin Roberts as an Astro, which abruptly terminated in a Sunday afternoon confrontation vs Koufax (a game which the old man valliantly drove us to in hopes of there being 4, just 4, tickets available at the box office on game day. No luck - SRO. But he tried, God bless him.). When you get shelled by the '65 Dodgers, it's a good sign that it's over... Spent a major portion of my youth between the ages of 9 & 15 listening to/watching Astros games (anybody remember the *GREAT* Lowell Passe?) and following the team in minutae. Still think of Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, Mike Cuellar, Dave Giusti, and countless other Greats Of The Game as Astros first. Same with Harry Kallas. So they get first place in this Series rooting heirarchy.

Edited by JSngry

Jim, I should have specified... "If you're not an Astros fan, how can you not...". :cool:

BTW, I saw a lot of the 'Stros back in the same era as you mention (Jimmy Wynn, "the toy cannon" was a favorite). I had to root against them every time, though. :P ). Plus, I've still got my Topps cards with those guys you menioned... the ones where they blacked out the logos on their caps... '68, I think. What was that all about?

I've still got my Topps cards with those guys you menioned... the ones where they blacked out the logos on their caps... '68, I think.  What was that all about?

IIRC, there were some rumors circulating that the Astros might be relocating to another city as part of the then-impending expansion deal which eventually yielded the Expos & the Padres.

Either that or else Topps was hedging that any and all Astros players were up for graps in the expansion draft and wanted to be covered. But I really think it was the first scenario. The rumors seemed far-fetched then, but by '67-'68, the novelty of the Dome had worn off, attendance was slipping, the team continued to disappoint on the field and you know how rumors get started...

Although, I'm thinking that it was in either '67 or '68 that the Astros had their first uniform change, and the dark caps became orange. But I don't think that that would explain the blacking out.

But - if you got a '68 Topps set, you got the Nolan Ryan Rookie Card!

if you got a '68 Topps set, you got the Nolan Ryan Rookie Card!

Don't have a complete set (I was buying individually... HAD to have the gum, even if it meant ending up with 14 Bruce Brubakers, 12 Gene Brabenders, etc etc)... but I did end up with two Ryan rookie cards. Like a complete idiot, I sold one of them to a friend for $20 back in the early 80's (and I failed to sell the other one when they went into the stratosphere). I don't even know what they're going for now.

Sorry, I've never watched that show enough to know the names of the characters.

Interesting how -- or so it seems to me -- even though Jenks is faster on the gun, Oswalt seems faster. If so, could this be a matter of delivery style -- that Jenks shows the ball to the batter and the rest of us a bit sooner than Oswalt does and/or Oswalt's arm motion is more of a whip or a sling, which creates an illusion of acceleration, while most of Jenks' arm is moving almost as fast at the ball is at the point of release. Similarly, though he's not as fast as Oswalt, Freddy Garcia may be the most extreme cocked-wrist slinger of the ball I've seen since Rick Sutcliffe, at least among pitchers who are effective.

Separated At Birth?

Bobby Jenks:

JP02_Black48.jpg

Bobby Hill:

MB_BobbyHill.jpg

Hell, the way that Jenks' heat resembles Nolan Ryan's, I'd not be surprised to find out that he is Hank Hill's boy!