Tubby Hayes reissues on Fontana

Steve Gray

Might be worth checking out AAJ for the uproar over the Tubby Hayes reissues. Looks to be quite a few not very happy campers over there who have bought the CDs. In low-key British terms, that thread is a near riot. :D

At least one of them is dubbed from a mono LP and I believe Universal used the same source as the Japanese reissues. Either couldn't be bothered (or couldn't find) the master tapes.

I'm sticking with the vinyl - more than happy with the sound.

I wonder why they didn't also reissue Tubby's 1970 album 'The Orchestra'. Commercially-slanted music admittedly but Hayes's playing is majesterial.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks for the AAJ suggestion.

I had been looking there but I was thrown by the fact that there was a thread specifically

about the Fontana releases where no one had posted since they actually came out.

The discussion you mention is in a different thread about British jazz releases in general.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

just received 100% proof and Mexican Green, the latter sounds ok if a little boxy. 100% Proof isn't great sounding AM quality- I may the return this.

Close listening to Mexican Green suggest to me, that this CD is perhaps the worse I have ever heard.

The sound is not just boxy it's really badly compressed and distorted. The piano come across worst of all. You can hear all the instruments but is really only good for one listen through- I should have returned these two discs. Avoid

I just compared the new Uni version of "MG" to a burn I had of the Jpn re-issue and it is eggs-ackley the same (right down to the little blips and farts one can hear from the source that both used). The new version might sound a touch nicer to my ears but I don't think I'd return the disc considering that the stuff ain't available in any other form right now. I've heard worse RVGs. :w

I just compared the new Uni version of "MG" to a burn I had of the Jpn re-issue and it is eggs-ackley the same (right down to the little blips and farts one can hear from the source that both used). The new version might sound a touch nicer to my ears but I don't think I'd return the disc considering that the stuff ain't available in any other form right now.  I've heard worse RVGs. :w

I would agree with this - the two are uncannily similar - I suspect but am not sure that Universal UK obtained DATs of the Japanese re-masters. Perhaps we'll never know the truth but it seems more than strange that Universal UK chose to re-issue exactly the same set of Tubbs albums as Universal Japan and also the two in terrible mono (100% and Return Visit) were also mono in Japan. However, I think I actually prefer the miniature cardboard album sleeves of the Japanese versions to the slightly tawdry British jewel case ones (complete with lots of typos) . At least the Japanese went to a lot of trouble over these. Weird though isn't? :huh:

I wonder why Cook or Morton, can't recall who headed it, did not take the Fontanas under that long gone Red!al imprint and do the justice. You figure with the Peterson trendiness that got Universal behind it in the first place that it would have made sense to hand the project to someone who gives a hoot.

While I've never heard any Fontana Tubby aside from these Japanese sources I can only imagine how much this infuriates you die hard Brits.

Yes, considering the reputation of these albums (particularly 'Mexican Green') its perplexing why they haven't been given the '5 star' treatment by Universal. Especially so after they did a good job on the whole with the sound of the first reissue batch of 'Impressed Re-pressed' - particularly the Mike Taylor, Amancio D'Silva etc.

Which raises further questions of the 'Impressed Re-pressed' series. Will we see that 'Mike Taylor Rememberred' session see the light of day (I seem to recall Neil Ardley was selling CDRs of this one from his site before he sadly passed away). Also the Ardley 'Symphony of Amaranths' and the Mike Taylor 'Pendulum'. Maybe Universal have totally lost interest?

Yes, considering the reputation of these albums (particularly 'Mexican Green') its perplexing why they haven't been given the '5 star' treatment by Universal. Especially so after they did a good job on the whole with the sound of the first reissue batch of 'Impressed Re-pressed' - particularly the Mike Taylor, Amancio D'Silva etc.

Which raises further questions of the 'Impressed Re-pressed' series. Will we see that 'Mike Taylor Rememberred' session see the light of day (I seem to recall Neil Ardley was selling CDRs of this one from his site before he sadly passed away). Also the Ardley 'Symphony of Amaranths' and the Mike Taylor 'Pendulum'. Maybe Universal have totally lost interest?

Quite right Sidewinder, they started out so well with all this promise of so much stuff, it's no wonder that the baton seems to have been taken over by Vocalion. Pity because there is a huge amount of EMI Columbia (not Sony CBS) stuff that needs reissuing all under the aegis of Universal. Why don't they just be honest and say 'look guys we understand you like this stuff but we're not that excited about it so hey, Mike Dutton or whoever, here you are you can license it all from us and best of British to you'.? I thought the rather lukewarm way they handled the Tubbs stuff is indicative of their lukewarm approach to this whereas the remastering and reissue by Vocalion of albums by Michael Garrick, Alan Skidmore and the excellent 'Will Power' has been remarkable. Clearly Mike Dutton either likes this stuff or is at least sympathetic to it, whereas the guys at Universal (Tony Higgins excepted) 'can't be bovvered'.

Suspect that Tony Higgins is fighting a lone battle with Universal, Roger. Clearly, from his great sleeve notes on the 'Impressed' compilations he's well and truly into this stuff in a very big way. Second your comments about the 'Will Power' reissue. That's exactly how a Brit jazz reissue should be done. Big thumbs up to Vocalion. 'Will Power' is indeed a sleeper in the pantheon of rare but very good British jazz.

Incidentally - and after all these years - I've just been lucky enough to get myself a vinyl 2LP set of it to go with the CDs. It's in the mail..:excited:

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 years later...

I always meant to pick up ”100% Proof” and ”Mexican Green” but never came around to do it. In fact, I still have to hear hem for the first time. Considering the (lacking) availability of different issues, what would be the way to go with ”100%”? Is the 70s Philips reissue OK? At least I suppose it’s in stereo…

I always meant to pick up ”100% Proof” and ”Mexican Green” but never came around to do it. In fact, I still have to hear hem for the first time. Considering the (lacking) availability of different issues, what would be the way to go with ”100%”? Is the 70s Philips reissue OK? At least I suppose it’s in stereo…

Hi Daniel - The 70s Philips reissue of '100% Proof' on LP should sound fine. I've got one track from that on a Philips compilation and the stereo is very acceptable.

Both '100% Proof' and 'Mexican Green' are absolutely essential Tubby Hayes sessions to get. 'Mexican Green' in particular is a beauty and very scarce on original vinyl. The numbers I've heard are only 500-600 copies pressed (although I suspect it might be a bit higher than that). Another option might be to see if Hiroshi can track down any of the Japanese Fontana issues (not sure if they used the stereo masters on these).

Another big band album featuring Tubbs which is worth hearing is Laurie Johnson's 'Synthesis' on UK Columbia. That one also has Joe Harriott on it. Never reissued on CD to my knowledge. A very interesting 'third stream' project.

Thanks, Bob! I read somewhere that someone compared the Japanese and UK CD reissues and concluded that they were identical; Anyway, ”100% Proof” was in boxy-sounding mono on both.

Original vinyl will be out of range or me, so I’ll probably go for the UK version of ”Mexican Green” as it still seems easy to get hold of and the 70s LP reissue of ”100% Proof”.

I’ll keep an eye for the Laurie Johnson album as well.

Thanks, Bob! I read somewhere that someone compared the Japanese and UK CD reissues and concluded that they were identical; Anyway, ”100% Proof” was in boxy-sounding mono on both.

Original vinyl will be out of range or me, so I’ll probably go for the UK version of ”Mexican Green” as it still seems easy to get hold of and the 70s LP reissue of ”100% Proof”.

I’ll keep an eye for the Laurie Johnson album as well.

The UK CD versions WERE the same as the Japanese versions - I bought them both!

I think there is very little chance they will ever be remastered and re-released so if you want to hear this excellent music then I'd go with whatever you can find at a reasonable price

Edited by Head Man

I wonder why Cook or Morton, can't recall who headed it, did not take the Fontanas under that long gone Red!al imprint and do the justice. You figure with the Peterson trendiness that got Universal behind it in the first place that it would have made sense to hand the project to someone who gives a hoot.

While I've never heard any Fontana Tubby aside from these Japanese sources I can only imagine how much this infuriates you die hard Brits.

It was Cook, now sadly deceased.

Anyone know how the vinyl version of Mexican Green from 2006 comes out soundwise?

http://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Green-Vinyl-Tubby-Hayes/dp/B000EZ8AXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271610206&sr=1-2

It was a release from Japanese Universal, so chances are it used the same master as the CD release. If you want to try it Hiroshi Tanno of Early Records might be able to help you; it seems he has it in stock at the moment for 3500 Yen which is a better price than from Amazon.

Anyone know how the vinyl version of Mexican Green from 2006 comes out soundwise?

http://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Green-Vinyl-Tubby-Hayes/dp/B000EZ8AXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271610206&sr=1-2

It was a release from Japanese Universal, so chances are it used the same master as the CD release. If you want to try it Hiroshi Tanno of Early Records might be able to help you; it seems he has it in stock at the moment for 3500 Yen which is a better price than from Amazon.

Thanks for the info, might check that out!