Epistrophy

Free For All

I've heard a variety of definitions of this word. When looking it up I only see it spelled as "epistrophe".

At one point I thought someone mentioned that it was some kind of medical procedure :mellow: . Someone else said it was the "study of monks" :huh: . I've seen a definition of it as referring to similar phrases, or phrases ending in a similar manner. either of the latter two would certainly make more sense. :crazy:

Does anyone know the definition for sure, and how it applies to the Monk tune?

I know I'll get a definitive answer here. Thanks!

Only one definition of epistrophe in Webster's online:

Main Entry: epis·tro·phe

Pronunciation: i-'pis-tr&-(")fE

Function: noun

Etymology: Greek epistrophE, literally, turning about, from epi- + strophE turning -- more at STROPHE

: repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect (as Lincoln's "of the people, by the people, for the people")

The medical procedure of which someone may have been thinking was probably an episiotomy, which basically is an incision sometimes made during childbirth to make things "easier". :blush:

Edited by Ron S

Etymology: Greek epistrophE, literally, turning about, from epi- + strophE turning -- more at STROPHE

: repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect (as Lincoln's "of the people, by the people, for the people")

The medical procedure of which someone may have been thinking was probably an episiotomy, which basically is an incision sometimes made during childbirth to make things "easier". :blush:

I'm doing this from memory, but yet another definition is: "to go back or turn around"... something equating to a return to a prior form. The liner notes to the latter-day Charlie Rouse album "Epistrophy" (of all things) have a bunch of definitions interspersed. I left my copy in LA (I'm in the Bay Area right now), so I can't list anything concrete. Granted my handle (and a couple of e-mail addresses), I have to explain the term practically everywhere I go...

It's funny. I didn't know any of the definitions until a while ago. Then it became a sort of occupational hazard:

Lady: What's that word?

Me: Epistrophy.

Lady: What?

Me: It's a Thelonio... don't worry about it.

Lady: How do you spell it?

Me: It's right there.

Man: So what's your favorite Monk tune?

Me: I like Bye-ya. Pannonica. Locomotive. Epistrophy.

Man: What?

Me: Ugh. 'Round Midnight. I'm going to the music shop.

...and that's why I love it here.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I'm doing this from memory, but yet another definition is: "to go back or turn around"... something equating to a return to a prior form.

Which would make perfect since, seeing as how the structure of that tune is all about modulating up, staying there for a little bit, and finally coming back down. The last A-Section is downright ingenious in that regard, since it starts a half-step up from home, thanks to the movement of the bridge, and doen't retun "home" until the very last 4 bars

I'm doing this from memory, but yet another definition is: "to go back or turn around"... something equating to a return to a prior form. The liner notes to the latter-day Charlie Rouse album "Epistrophy" (of all things) have a bunch of definitions interspersed. I left my copy in LA (I'm in the Bay Area right now), so I can't list anything concrete. Granted my handle (and a couple of e-mail addresses), I have to explain the term practically everywhere I go...

Sounds like it is related to a term I remember from music history class, "strophic", which refers to the form of a song, like a folk song or hymn, that has several verses (different lyrics over the same tune/harmony).