What would YOU ask Henry Grimes?

ghost of miles

During his rather lengthy period of musical inactivity (or rather "public" musical inactivity – as I don't want to presume the man did absolutely nothing musical during all those years) -- what sorts of things (if any) did he do in relation to music?? Anything really, anything even remotely related to music. Did he listen any more (or less) than usual to recordings?? The radio?? Live music?? Street musicians?? Notice bird-song more?? - (or less??). Any composition?? Even if only mental, only to never be written (or "played").

In other words, can he describe the role that music (in the very most general sense) played in his life during his lengthy period of "public" musical inactivity??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Where was this picture taken? Is there a story behind it? :)

c47959m07s8.jpg

YES!

Seriously, though... I wouldn't know what to ask if I met him myself (things just come up in casual conversation). I remember sitting around with Gerald Wilson waiting for class to start (I was taking his Jazz Dev. course at UCLA)... every so often, I'd think of something to say. Fascinating insights--nice to learn a bit of first-hand info about Eric Dolphy, as I was just really getting into him at the time--but hardly a Q&A. Musicians have a way of saying interesting things without speaking, you know?

That being said--are there any specific ensembles that HG wishes were recorded? Any lost ESP sessions floating around limbo (one can dream)?

Happy to derail...

I'm referring to how impossible it is to deal with Margaret for promoters, reviewers and anyone involved with the cottage industry that is 'non-mainstream jazz'. Say anything remotely critical of Henry, William Parker, etc., in print and she's writing nasty emails. Try to put together a small out-of-town gig and she demands catering and very skewed percentages. Not to mention the fact that there are a lot of up-and-coming bassists hungry to play with the chops to show for it, and the Margaret Davis machine gets Henry the gigs. I mean the guy can play, and his chops have improved since the comeback, but I'll be the devil's advocate that things have gotten a little out of hand with the 'Henry Grimes Comeback' scene.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Henry mentioned in an interview with us, during that live on air performance with Marshall Allen, that he only wants to play free music now.

I disagree about the Henry Grimes comeback scene being, whatever the implication, all about hype and not about music (you didn't say that, but that's generally the sentiment). He's a real guy. Just ask Fred Anderson. When Grimes went to the Velvet Lounge to "sit in" he never left the bandstand: played with everyone for going on 4 hours. Never let up. And it is not so much the total hours logged as much as it is this flow of original ideas. When he came into the station to set-up he started playing about 8:30 p.m. and didn't stop until after the live broadcast ended at 11 p.m.

He's always had an incredible sound which might be something to ask him about: why he chose the route to the sound he had (and is redeveloping) rather than going with the prevelent tendancy to play high on the fret board through an amp.

Because Grimes is so active now it might be a good idea to focus on what's happening now rather than the "silent period." He gets asked about that all the time.

By the way, over at Sonny Rollins web site I see they will be including an interview with Grimes about his time with Sonny Rollins in the "reflections" section.

Yes, it would be GREAT if Rollins and Grimes reunited. Would love to hear Sonny playing with an upright bassist again, if only for one night, though I don't know that Grimes is up on tunes right now.

Henry Grimes fits in the great tradition of Jimmy Garrison, Malachi Favors, Fred Hopkins, even Alan Silva. I wonder what insights he has into those players, how would he express those insights in words....

And I think Chuck is right...back o'Rudy's....session was made there, sooo.....

Edited by Lazaro Vega

I do intend to ask him about the "silent time," but I've also anticipated what you refer to, Lazaro--that this has probably become a well-tread topic with him by now. And I'm quite interested in his thoughts on the modern improv scene--what it's been like to immerse himself in that after being completely detached for 30+ years. Also how the scene today compares to that of the late 1960s--what, if any, kind of support system there was for improv then as opposed to now. (I have my own opinions, but I'm just a DJ and I wasn't there--so I'm really curious as to what he thinks about it.) And thanks for the suggestions, Rooster, Lazaro, and others; I'll incorporate those into the interview.

Has Henry reunited with Cecil at all? That's another encounter I'd like to hear (if it hasn't happened already).