Oscar Pettiford - Discoveries SJL 1172

Fer Urbina

Hello

Could anybody confirm whether the LP Oscar Pettiford - Discoveries (SJL 1172) has ever been reissued on CD? I read a review in the Penguin Guide To Jazz (4th ed., I think, the one with Getz and Ray Brown on the cover), but as far as I can remember the CD catalogue number was wrong. I have also seen an overpriced copy listed for sale in gemm.com, but the seller (Argentinian) didn't have in stock anyway. The Allmusic reviewer says he wishes it will be reissued on CD someday.

Thanks in advance.

F

Here´s the entry for "Discoveries" in Lord´s discography:

---------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

[P3437-4] Oscar Pettiford

Billy Taylor (p) Oscar Pettiford (cello) Charles Mingus (b) Charlie Smith (d)

New York, October 16, 1952

1102 Cello again Roost 546, Jazz Selection (F)824,

Swingtime/Contact (It)ST1010

1102-1 Cello again Savoy SJL1172

1102-2 Cello again -

1103 Ah-dee-dong blues [Oriental cello blues] Roost 561, Jazz Selection (F)823, Roost OJ-1,

1103-1 Ah-dee-dong blues [Oriental cello blues] Savoy SJL1172

1103-2 Ah-dee-dong blues [Oriental cello blues] -

1104 Sonny boy Roost 546, Jazz Selection (F)824,

1104-1 Sonny boy Savoy SJL1172

1104-2 Sonny boy -

1105 I'm beginning to see the light Roost 561, Jazz Selection (F)823,

1105-1 I'm beginning to see the light Savoy SJL1172

Note: Swingtime/Contact (It)ST1010 titled "Charles Mingus - The young rebel"; rest of LP by Charles Mingus, Earl Hines, Curley Hamner.

Roost OJ-1 titled "Operation jazz"; rest of LP by others.

Savoy SJL1172 titled "Discoveries" and includes all alternate takes; see October, 1957 for one more title; rest of LP by Mat Mathews, Winner's Circle, Paul Quinichette, Charlie Smith.

All titles from Savoy SJL1172 also on Savoy (Eu)WL70836, Savoy 650142 [CD], Vogue (F)VG655-650142 [CD], all titled "Discoveries"; rest of LP & CD's by Mat Mathews, Winner's Circle, Paul Quinichette, Charlie Smith.

-------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

I am afraid he keeps on with that mistake.

The Discoveries CD is listed here:

http://www.soundcity2000.com/cd_az/cd07/T0763.HTML

Thanks EKE and Brownie. I actually tried (like a couple of years ago) to get it from soundcity2000 and there was no response at all.

F

PS The October 1957 track mentioned by Lords is "Taking A Chance On Love", by Pettiford, Eddie Costa and Ed Thigpen, very possibly a left-over from the Bethlehem Winner's Circle session, subsequently included in the Discoveries LP.

The Discoveries CD is listed here:

http://www.soundcity2000.com/cd_az/cd07/T0763.HTML

Thanks EKE and Brownie. I actually tried (like a couple of years ago) to get it from soundcity2000 and there was no response at all.

F

PS The October 1957 track mentioned by Lords is "Taking A Chance On Love", by Pettiford, Eddie Costa and Ed Thigpen, very possibly a left-over from the Bethlehem Winner's Circle session, subsequently included in the Discoveries LP.

The liner notes to my vinyl copy by Phil Schaap - who KNOWS everything :g - state that the track indeed comes from the 'Winner's Circle' session!