Charles Tolliver Mosaic Select 20

rostasi

I have a question.

I noticed on this set

that a track from Live at Slugs' Volume Two

is shown here as just Wilpan's,

but I've always thought that it was called Wilpan's Walk.

Am I confusing it with another version or song completely

or is this the way it really reads on the LP?

(I don't have it easily available at this time).

Tune goes all the way back to 1966 Charles Lloyd days as Wilpan's on "The Flowering Of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet" but that was issued in 1971, I guess before the Music Inc. record (rec. May 1, 1970, issued as Strata East 1972 - in 1972).

Also recorded a week earlier on April 26, 1970 at Left Bank Jazz Society, Baltimore, MD and issued as Roy Brooks: The Free Slave on Muse, where it was misspelled "Will Pan's Walk".

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Tune goes all the way back to 1966 Charles Lloyd days as Wilpan's on "The Flowering Of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet" but that was issued in 1971, I guess before the Music Inc. record (rec. May 1, 1970, issued as Strata East 1972 - in 1972).

Also recorded a week earlier on April 26, 1970 at Left Bank Jazz Society, Baltimore, MD and issued as Roy Brooks: The Free Slave on Muse, where it was misspelled "Will Pan's Walk".

Mike

Thanks Mike! Yes, it's coming back to me now.

Never heard of the Lloyd version, but the Roy Brooks take now brings back fond memories.

Gonna have to go thru the stacks to pull that out again and listen.

Very surprised that the tune hasn't been resurrected in 30 years of playing 'cause it's a great one!

Thanks again for your encyclopedic knowledge!

:tup

Rod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I am just really torn on this set, since I have a fairly new issue of Slugs v. 1 (this version has 5 of the six tracks on disc 1 of the Select - and the timings are slightly longer, though mostly this appears to be the triming of crowd noise, some extra introductions, etc. (I think)). And I have Live in Japan. However, I don't have any of the unreleased material on Disc 3. I suppose if I was able to unload the other two discs there wouldn't be a problem. I'm still not clear why this was the material chosen for the Select, particularly as it had just come back on the market through Strata East, i.e. it wasn't exactly easy to get but it wasn't truly OOP as most Select material has been. Ah well, mysterious ways and all that.

Anyway, it's towards the bottom of my list of Selects to buy, given the large overlap with stuff I already own. Same with the Tyner, which I don't plan on getting at all, since I have all the material either on CD or LP.

By some incredibly strange (and fortuitous) quirk I didn't have any of the Charles Tolliver Strata East albums so this Select is all new to me. Great stuff - and the material on disk 3 is well up to standard. I see that Charles Tolliver has co-produced this set, along with Mosaic.

In fact just listening to disk 3 and I would say that it 'smokes'.

Edited by sidewinder

By some incredibly strange (and fortuitous) quirk I didn't have any of the Charles Tolliver Strata East albums so this Select is all new to me. Great stuff - and the material on disk 3 is well up to standard. I see that Charles Tolliver has co-produced this set, along with Mosaic.

In fact just listening to disk 3 and I would say that it 'smokes'.

Yeah, I don't mean to imply the choice of material is musically weak or anything. Certainly not. It's just strange that they didn't choose the material never out on CD before. Though there was some talk that there would be further joint ventures between Mosaic and Strata East. Maybe this is just testing the waters, drawing on some of the strongest material to see the sales potential when linked up with the Mosaic merchadising arm.

Had a bit more time today to digest disk 3 and this one is FANTASTIC. It makes you wonder what else Charles has tucked away in the vaults gathering cobwebs. 'Earls World' and 'Repetition' are outstanding.

Yes, let's hope that Mosaic and Strata East link up for more future ventures of this type. Looks promising !

I have a fairly new issue of Slugs v. 1 (this version has 5 of the six tracks on disc 1 of the Select)

But the missing track is an incredible version of "Drought", which shouldn't be missed. The remastering is also much better on this set. No idea why "Drought" was left off the Strata-East CD, it was on the original vol. 1 album, the CD had plenty of time left (only ran about 60 minutes, and "Drought" is 9 or 10), and even if you needed to leave a track off, that wouldn't be the one.

• 4 months later...

I have just litstened to this for the first time through and really enjoyed it. There were a couple of points on the cd where the sound seemed slightly distorted and,as there wasn't a producer's note, I wanted to check that there wasn't a problem with my cds.

On disc 1, track 2 at around 1.44, and on disc 3, track 2 at around 6.44 (much more minor than the other one).

There were very slight scratches on the cds when I got them so it may be this but I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if it is just my cds.

Thanks

Denis

Edited by djcavanagh

I heard the same thing on Disc 1, track 2 (can't remember hearing anything on Disc 3). I requested a replacement Disc 1 from Mosaic -- I had explained to them the "distortion" on Disc 1 track 2 in detail -- they just sent me a replacement right away -- no questions asked (they have the BEST customer service!!!). But the same "distortion" was on the replacement Disc 1 -- must be in the master tape -- I wish Mosaic would have mentioned it in the CD notes.

I heard the same thing on Disc 1, track 2 (can't remember hearing anything on Disc 3). I requested a replacement Disc 1 from Mosaic -- I had explained to them the "distortion" on Disc 1 track 2 in detail -- they just sent me a replacement right away -- no questions asked (they have the BEST customer service!!!). But the same "distortion" was on the replacement Disc 1 -- must be in the master tape -- I wish Mosaic would have mentioned it in the CD notes.

Thanks John.

It sounds like cd1 is ok then. I've just listened to cd3 again and there definitely is some distortion on my cd. Whilst Mosaic's service is excellent (to say the least) I'd rather try and find out if there is a problem before going back to them (also it was a gift so I might need to get the email receipt off my parents).

So if anyone could have a listen to their cd3, track 2 around 6.44 and let me know if there is a "skip" then I'd be eternally grateful :D .

Hi djcavanagh,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you but I hear the same thing on Disc 3 Track 2 at 6:44 -- it too must be in the master tape!!

GREAT music even with a few "blemishes"!!!!

JohnT

Thanks JohnT! Glad that I didn't have to go throught with the whole process of requesting a replacement.

I've only listened to it all once so far but really enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting to know it much better :) .

Denis

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...