New Roscoe Mitchell

Kreilly

There is a new duo recording called "First Look" featuring Roscoe Mitchell on reeds and Tatsu Aoki on contrabass. Chicago Duos (Southport 111). I believe this is the third in the series with the previous two being Aoki with Moye then with Favors.

Kevin

Edited by Kreilly

• 2 weeks later...

It's an awful shame that no one has commented on this one (which must speak volumes for distribution/press, etc.). This has to be one of the finest "contemporary" free jazz dates I've heard in some time. Mitchell and Aoki make a wonderful team--redolent of some "classic" reed/bass pairings (and Mitchell knows how to pick bass partners), but emotionally and rhythmically unique. Aoki's Eastern grooves provide the centripetal pull for some vigorous, far-flung "solo" work--honestly, some of the best I've heard from Mitchell (heard mainly on alto here--conjuring after-images of face paint and ethnodrama). But this is first and foremost a dialogue, a push/pull between two divergent but interrelated conceptions. There is engima, pathos, intricacy, mysticism--the vestiges of the AACM, an ethos that Mitchell has cultivated with intelligence and heart. Aoki plays with a similar air of mystery--infused, however, with an identifiably "Asian" sense of power. This is deep groove, ethnic communion, and freedom of the finest sort.

Edited by ep1str0phy