Curtis Mayfield - what should I get next??

Rooster_Ties

I've really been diggin' some of Curtis Mayfield's early 70's solo albums recently.

c320822bmc5.jpge2374769yd5.jpgd41145k381x.jpg

I first heard the Superfly soundtrack back in college (circa late 80's - found an original LP of it in the stacks at the college radio station, complete with the deluxe die-cut gatefold cover), and I quickly fell in love with it. :wub: (Got the expanded 2-CD issue too, the very week it came out a few years ago.)

Then I picked up "The Very Best of Curtis Mayfield" on CD sometime in the mid 90's, and dug it too. But almost never seeing any full Mayfield CD's in stock anywhere (or used, especially), I left it at that. (All you ever see in stores are Mayfield compilations, pretty much.)

Then a few years ago, I picked up the Rhino CD issue of his first solo album, Curtis (with a ton of bonus tracks, mostly all demos plus a few backing tracks), and it's done nothing but grow and grow on me since. The demos, especially, are really great!! :tup

And just today found a used copy of the recent Rhino issue of Roots, and it should be in my mailbox early next week.

So, what should I get next??

Has Rhino released any other full-length Mayfield albums besides Superfly, Curtis, Roots, and Curtis/Live! (the last of which I don't have yet)?? FYI, I'm probably more interested in his studio material, over the live discs -- and I'm leaning towards his earlier solo material (mid-70's and earlier), over his later stuff.

And since I love his first solo album "Curtis" so much, is the very latest (late 60's) Impressions material worth seeking out??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll second (or third) Curtis/Live its a lovely loose album and a double on one cd. There's plenty of reissues that sound fine (though not remastered) and should be cheap enough.

After that its less clear though there's something of interest on most of the next few.

Don't think the Impressions albums stack up in quite the same way but a good compilation is a must. Definitive Impressions on Kent out of the UK is brilliant/essential and there's a second volume though I've not sprung for that yet.

I'll second (or third) Curtis/Live its a lovely loose album and a double on one cd. There's plenty of reissues that sound fine (though not remastered) and should be cheap enough.

After that its less clear though there's something of interest on most of the next few.

Don't think the Impressions albums stack up in quite the same way but a good compilation is a must. Definitive Impressions on Kent out of the UK is brilliant/essential and there's a second volume though I've not sprung for that yet.

Backing up my friend Colin, Curtis/Live is well worthwhile, great sound on the Rhino reissue, and definitely go for the Impressions collections. "I'm So Proud" is the theme song of my marriage, and "Choice of Colors" is THE great racial reconciliation song. I never found Mayfield's post-Superfly material to be worthwhile.

A quality Impressions comp is essential. Just make sure that it has the post-Mayfield "Finally Got Myself Together".

Anyone care to recomend a good Impressions comp? And one that gives the late 60's Impressions their fair shake (so, not all early stuff). Any other post-Mayfield Impressions tunes to keep an eye out for on comps?? Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't know that there is any one compilation on the market right now that covers the entire history of the Impressions, from Vee-Jay to ABC to Curtom. There should be,

But there has been a complete Vee-Jay CD out (Jerry Butler's great on this stuff), Rhino's got a "Very Best Of..." disc that covers the main ABC hits (and includes "Finally...") & there was a 2-CD anthology of the Curtom years that was 1/2 Mayfield years, 1/2 post-Mayfield years (as you seem to have found!).

Edited by JSngry

As long as you're on AMG, check out the sample of "Finally Got Myself Together" I can listen to that tune for hours on end. And have...

Been there (to the sample of "Finally...") and done that - sounds good to me!

This 1968-76 comp (below) looks MIGHTY good (sorry, but the early Impressions material just doesn't do it for me nearly as much). And, it does have "Finally..."

e59902tcvjq.jpg

Link: Indelible Impressions: The Curtom Anthology 1968-1976 (two CD's)

Can anybody find this 68-76 comp available on-line??

Can't seem to find it anywhere (and Froogle can't either).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sorry Noj, I didn't mean to call you out--actually, I was thinking that if Curtis had indeed recorded trouble man, I sure as hell would want a copy of it!

:)

:huh:

This is Marvin, right?

(I mean, yes, he should get it...but Curtis isn't on it, is he?)

Trouble Man too!

Whoops, brain fart. :blush:

Get Curtis Mayfield's school of 20th century soul compilation.

Two of my favorite songs by Curtis - "Move On Up" and "Billy Jack" - does anyone know which albums they were originally released on??? I know I could prolly find them on a comp but I'd rather hear them in their original context. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chalupa

Two of my favorite songs by Curtis - "Move On Up" and "Billy Jack" - does anyone know which albums they were originally released on??? I know I could prolly find them on a comp but I'd rather hear them in their original context. Thanks in advance.

"Move On Up" is from his first solo album, "Curtis" (1970).

And "Billy Jack" (a tune I'm not sure I'm familiar with), is from "There's No Place Like America Today" (1975).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Reviews (HERE) of every Mayfield-related Impressions release, and all of Mayfield's solo albums and projects -- in chronological order. Pretty sure I don't agree with all the reviews, but at least everything is layed out all in one place (on the same page).

(Thought I'd bookmark it here, for future reference.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, ROOTS still hasn't gotten here in the mail yet (maybe yet today, knock on wood).

And now I've also got BACK TO THE WORLD (1973) on the way to my door (in an order from Dusty). :)

I almost (but didn't) pull the trigger on GOT TO FIND A WAY (1974). I listened to the on-line samples a bunch of times, and I just didn't hear anything with any punch. (It was mostly very mellow tunes, most of the 'love song' variety. Could've gotten it cheap too ($8 from Dusty), but it ain't that much of a bargain if I hardly listen to it.)

Next I gotta find me them late-60's era Impressions dates (the last three dates with Curtis, all of 'em on Curtom).

Edited by Rooster_Ties