Fantasy CD's on sale everywhere?

Peter A

Last week my local CD shop, which usually only sells CD's at discount prices, bought a huge amount of CD's from the Fantasy/OJC catalogue. The owner of the shop claims Fantasy "went bankrupt" and offers the CD's at circa 60% of the regular price. They were all there: box sets with the complete Prestige recordings by Miles, Coltrane and Rollins, Complete recordings on Debut by Mingus, many box sets of Bill Evans, Art Pepper, MJQ etc etc.

I bought the Complete Prestige Recordings of Dexter Gordon, the Complete Riverside Recordings of Wes Montgomery and the Complete Milestone Recording of Joe Henderson. All these box sets look so damn attractive!

Does anyone know if these box sets are on sale in the US as well or if will still be available after the takeover by Concord?

Peter

Obviously your shop owner knows nothing about the reason why he got such great pricing. But this is very distressing news, as it suggests that Concord is dumping stock, presumably the beginning of the end of what had been Fantasy's approach to their treasure trove. :angry:

No, all the regular OJC CD's, the 24 bit ones in cardboard boxes, are there as well. Hundreds of them. I think ZYX, the license holder in Germany, should be blamed of dumping these. I was just wondering if the OJC issues were offered at discount prices in the US as well.

No, all the regular OJC CD's, the 24 bit ones in cardboard boxes, are there as well. Hundreds of them. I think ZYX, the license holder in Germany, should be blamed of dumping these. I was just wondering if the OJC issues were offered at discount prices in the US as well.

ZYX Germany is losing its Fantasy license deal at the end of the year - that's probably the reason for their dumping the Fantasy-owned stuff.

Correction: Concord-owned Fantasy stuff, of course... <_<

Edited by J.A.W.

ZYX Germany is losing its Fantasy license deal at the end of the year - that's probably the reason for their dumping the Fantasy-owned stuff.

Correction: Concord-owned Fantasy stuff, of course...  <_<

I see only positive aspects in this - I never liked the way ZYX handled this. Can't recall who distributes Concord in Germany right now, but they have a more serious way of treating it, for sure.

Correction: Concord-owned Fantasy stuff, of course...  <_<

I see only positive aspects in this - I never liked the way ZYX handled this. Can't recall who distributes Concord in Germany right now, but they have a more serious way of treating it, for sure.

Concord has virtually no distribution here. And OJCs have been hard to find for several years by now. I'd love to see a good sale!

Oh, and one thing ZYX definitely did wrong were the small editions of the box sets, with lousy to no documentation, yet selling them at full prize. In my pre-internet days I bought the Sonny Rollins box for ca. 120$ - doesn't even contain a discography, just tracklisting and microscopically small liners with some to most of the musicians being mentioned. Lousy lousy stuff. I'm still pissed on this today (obviously I wasn't pissed when I bought it, since then I didn't know yet...)

I did some web research: Concord is distributed in Germany by the Edel company. They seem to concentrate more on trendy pop stuff. AFAIK they don't even carry the whole Concord catalogue - I have the impression they acquired the distribution rights more for Concord's audiophile reputation rather than for interest in jazz. No idea whether they will take over the Fantasy part of the Concord catalogue as well.

German Edel website