Tunes by (relatively) well-known artists...

Rooster_Ties

OK, maybe there's a lot of these -- or maybe not a lot. Only way to find out is start a thread. :g

In the Terumasa Hino thread just now, I mentioned that Blue Mitchell recorded Hino's "Alone, Alone, and Alone" in 1965 (on Blue's DOWN WITH IT) -- I'm guessing long before many had ever heard of Hino. (Hino wasn't on the date either.)

Any other interesting examples??

We should probably limit this to tunes recorded without the composer on the date --- or there'd be hundreds and hundreds of these to mention (so why bother).

OK, maybe there's a lot of these -- or maybe not a lot.  Only way to find out is start a thread.  :g

In the Terumasa Hino thread just now, I mentioned that Blue Mitchell recorded Hino's "Alone, Alone, and Alone" in 1965 (on Blue's DOWN WITH IT) -- I'm guessing long before many had ever heard of Hino.  (Hino wasn't on the date either.)

Any other interesting examples??

We should probably limit this to tunes recorded without the composer on the date --- or there'd be hundreds and hundreds of these to mention (so why bother).

Only recording of Jackie McLean's "Walter Davis Ascending" that I'm aware of:

weisscd3.jpg

Edited by Michael Weiss

chi-chi by charlie parker (30.jul.53) first recorded by max roach (10.apr.53)

´round midnight by thelonious monk (with dizzy gillespie´s orchestra; poss. 18.jun-6.jul.46) first recorded by cootie williams (the spooky hour; 22.aug.44)

keep boppin´

marcel

Michael,

Didn't know that you recorded 'Walter Davis Ascending'. Jackie played it at Lincoln Center in 1990 and it was on the radio broadcast, but he never recorded it on an album. How did you get a hold of this piece?

Also, his tune 'Fort Apache' has only been recorded by the Fort Apache Band. But I think Jackie falls beyond the scope of this thread.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I think Milton Nascimento was still not very well-known when Wayne Shorter recorded his 'Vera Cruz' in 1970.

And, of course, Joe Chambers was totally unknown when Bobby Hutcherson recorded 'Mirrors' on the album finally issued in 1999 as The Kicker.

Bertrand.

Doesn't the same apply (to a lesser extent) to Chambers's appearance on Breaking Point (where 'Mirrors' also appears)?

Edited by ep1str0phy

Quoting Rooster:

'We should probably limit this to tunes recorded without the composer on the date --- or there'd be hundreds and hundreds of these to mention (so why bother)'.

So the Kicker meets the specs, Breaking Point doesn't.

Bertrand.

"nardis" composed by miles davis and never(!) recorded by him.

i like bill evans´ version live at birdland.

keep boppin´

marcel

Michael,

Didn't know that you recorded 'Walter Davis Ascending'.  Jackie played it at Lincoln Center in 1990 and it was on the radio broadcast, but he never recorded it on an album.  How did you get a hold of this piece?

Also, his tune 'Fort Apache' has only been recorded by the Fort Apache Band.  But I think Jackie falls beyond the scope of this thread.

Bertrand.

Jackie called me just after he composed the tune, which might have been the day Walter died. He asked me to write it out for him so he played it on his horn over the phone to me while I took dictation. He played it at Walter's memorial service at St. Peters Church. Dennis Irwin, Kenny Washington and I performed tunes from Davis Cup. After that I was playing "Walter Davis Ascending" on trio gigs for a while, so the Steeplechase date became a good opportunity to record it.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Quoting Rooster:

'We should probably limit this to tunes recorded without the composer on the date --- or there'd be hundreds and hundreds of these to mention (so why bother)'.

So the Kicker meets the specs, Breaking Point doesn't.

Bertrand.

I'm just the best reader, you know? :P

Art Pepper did "Tears Inside" before Ornette was a jazz god (although he was already quite visible).

Edited by ep1str0phy