Sun Ra - ON JUPITER (Saturn, 1979)

Rooster_Ties

Has anybody here ever heard this one?? (Besides me?? :ph34r: )

I had a cassette dub of this years ago (long lost, I'm sure - haven't seen it in 10 years), and I remember ON JUPITER being one of THE trippiest Sun Ra records in the whole cannon. The tune U.F.O. has to be heard to be believed :excited: -- an all out disco/funk thing, as only Sun Ra could do it!! (Have I been reading too many Dusty Groove reviews?? :P )

Seriously, though, this thing really is a trip. I used to play U.F.O. on the college radio station all the time, back in the day (made a cart of it off my cassette).

I don't own a turntable (shame on me!!! :ph34r:) -- but I'm thinking of buying this on LP, and getting someone to burn it for me.

I can't imagine this is the original cover (can anyone confirm or deny?).

ra_sun~~~~~_onjupiter_101b.jpg

Sun Ra -- On Jupiter (reissue) . . . LP . . . $19.99  (Item: 380817)

Saturn/Art Yard (UK), 1979 Condition: New Copy     View Cart   

Righteous Ra from the end of the 70s -- one of the most soulful albums ever by the Sun Ra Arkestra, and a lost treasure that's got some nice funky moments! The vibe here is very much in the Lanquidity/Disco 3000 mode -- an extrapolation of styles best known from the Space Is The Place era, tightened up into more of a groove at some points, but also relaxed and more reflective at others. Our favorite track on the set is "UFO", a snapping bit of funk that comes as a real surprise from Sun Ra -- and a tune that's got some nicely noisy guitar jamming alongside straighter electric rhythms -- all topped off by vocals from the group and some really strong horn work! The tune's a great party funk number that shows the Arkestra at its most joyous -- and other tracks include "On Jupiter", which has a great blend of light vocals, spacey moog, and snakey sax -- plus the side-long "Seductive Fantasy", a laidback number that unfolds with a really gentle grace. (Limited heavy vinyl pressing -- really nicely done, with notes on the music as well!)

And the AMG says...

On Jupiter is a great album recorded in 1979, about a year after Lanquidity. After easing in with the fairly brief title cut, a fairly mellow affair featuring June Tyson on vocals, listeners are treated to the all-out disco-funk of "U.F.O." Anchored by a monster bassline courtesy of Steve Clarke, this tune has fun ensemble vocals and great solos on guitar and tenor sax. This is as funky as Sun Ra ever got and really must be heard to be believed. Side two consists of "Seductive Fantasy," a lovely piece composed on top of a three-note bass ostinato that features lots of great piano from Ra and some interesting guitar sounds from either Skeeter McFarland or Taylor Richardson. John Gilmore gets plenty of room on this track as well and Luqman Ali's drumming is superb. This album is well worth picking up, but being one of those Saturn rarities makes it pretty difficult to do so.

Is this a legal reissue?? Why the hell don't they release it on CD too?? Why just LP?? I'd kill for Tryone Washington's LP "Roots" on CD too -- which was just reissued on vinyl (and vinyl only). What's the dealicon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest akanalog

yeah i don't really get why some albums (esp sun ra ones) are reissued on LP but not CD.

is it because they are from a LP source so they sound ok back on LP but not on CD?

I've heard it suggested that the rash of LP-only issues of things -- often very obscure releases -- is that they aren't legit (legal) reissues.

The thinking (I'm assuming) would be that by being on LP - they'd be less likely to get bothered by the copyright owners, than if they'd done the illegal re-issue on CD.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Every once in a while I'll get desparate enough to hear something that's never been on CD (like this Milt Ward LP), and then have Spontooneous burn it for me.

I think it (the Milt Ward), and Tyrone Washington's last leader date ("Do Right") are the only two LP's I've bid on in the last 4 years. Maybe a couple others I'm forgetting, that I didn't win.

BTW, I haven't gotten the Ward date in the mail yet, but it should be here any day now!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've heard it suggested that the rash of LP-only issues of things -- often very obscure releases -- is that they aren't legit (legal) reissues.

The thinking (I'm assuming) would be that by being on LP - they'd be less likely to get bothered by the copyright owners, than if they'd done the illegal re-issue on CD.

I think this may have been happening with the BYGs. The last batch of reissues (what was it, Sunspots?) is still readily available on LP, but the CD issues are relatively scarce.

Well, as long as I was putting in a big Dusty Groove order anyway (I'll post the list in another thread), I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this LP too (meaning "On Jupiter").

$20 hurt (especially for a format I didn't even want), but in the end - I'm sure I'll be glad I have it. Haven't heard U.F.O. in years (close to a decade, at least), but I remember it being a total gas.

Can't wait until it gets here - though I'll have to wait even longer to hear it (again), until I can get a buddy to burn it for me. But I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!!

• 2 weeks later...

:tup For these Art Yard LPs. They seem to be legit releases, with the backing of the Arkestra and the Ra estate. Nice heavy vinyl, good sleeve art and sleeve notes. 'Disco 3000' and 'Media Dreams' are also in the first batch. Must get hold of the 'On Jupiter'.

'Disco 3000' currently on deck. Ra, Gilmore, Michael Ra and Luqman Ali in live performance in Italy, 1978. Ra heavily featured on the super-spacey Crumar Mainman.

Edited by sidewinder

Guest akanalog

yes it seems like maybe some pretentions ass hipster was in charge and was like oh this is sun ra, we are only going to put out vinyl because that is what legit real fans use. ples.