Thing with Joe McPhee US TOUR

These are the US dates for The Thing with Joe McPhee. Check local listings for more info...

11/16 Chicago IL, Empty Bottle

11/17 Austin TX, Victory Grill

11/18 Houston TX, Diverse Works

11/20 Indianapolis IN, Madame Walker Ballroom

11/21 Lexington KY, Underlying Theme

11/22 TBA

11/23 Washington DC, Sangha/Transparent Productions

11/24 Philadelphia PA, Ars Nova Workshop

11/25 Buffalo NY, Hallwalls

11/26 Syracuse NY, Jazz Central/New Thing Productions

11/27 TBA

11/28 New York NY, The Stone

this is almost funny how some here are thinking that they will check "him" out

do you guys have any idea of who and what the other horn player is?

Joe McPhee is one of the great artists of the past 30 years - for those who know his music and his improvisational abilities, this is accepted

but again, this is Mats' band - and if it's Mats' band, Joe will be a welcome member when I see them - and the CD with Joe on it is fine - albeit not a recording that screams Joe McPhee - it is worth it for the opening track where Gustafsson takes a PJ Harvey tune on the baritone and explodes reality.

for those who have never seen Gustafsson - and maybe especially for those who have never heard him - it will be an experience that one will never forget, love it or hate it, he is for my money, one of the 2 or 3 most innovative and certainly just about the most expressive saxophonist of his generation.

not to be missed by those who have any interest in jazz that doesn't follow down the well worn path of days gone by.

and for me, I maybe look most forward to hearing the drummer for the first time in a live setting - from all accounts, he is something to behold - he sure rips on the few recordings I have that feature him

I Love It When You Snore, baby!

Edited by Steve Reynolds