David Ornette Cherry

bertrand

I have a copy of "The End of a Century," which (as far as I can tell) is the closest David's come to mainstream exposure. Of all of Don's progeny, David is probably the closest to the Harmolodic/post-Coleman camp (sonically, at least). On "The End...", he draws from both the 60's/70's avant tradition as well as more recent innovations in electronics and pop/rap. True to his legacy, he also breaks out some oblique instrumentation and "world music" tinges (there's a track called "Return From Codona"). Some of it is pretty nondescript, but it's nice to hear one of Don's sons engaging in the lexicon and (generally) succeeding. Anyway, Bobby Bradford, Phil Ranelin, and Ralph "Buzzy" Jones are on the album, so...

I'd check it out--at least for the novelty factor. Fortunately, he has something to say.

Saw an album of his at a Tower Records when I was in London on my honeymoon in April of 2001. Took note of the name, so I could look it up later when I got home. Never found him in the AMG, nor did I find much else about him on-line. Always wondered what the album was like, though.

With a name like "David Ornette Cherry" - I figured he had to be one of Don's kids. Some might even argue that having "Ornette Cherry" in one's name is even crazier than having a name like "Eagle Eye". :crazy:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a copy of "The End of a Century," which (as far as I can tell) is the closest David's come to mainstream exposure. Of all of Don's progeny, David is probably the closest to the Harmolodic/post-Coleman camp (sonically, at least). On "The End...", he draws from both the 60's/70's avant tradition as well as more recent innovations in electronics and pop/rap. True to his legacy, he also breaks out some oblique instrumentation and "world music" tinges (there's a track called "Return From Codona"). Some of it is pretty nondescript, but it's nice to hear one of Don's sons engaging in the lexicon and (generally) succeeding. Anyway, Bobby Bradford, Phil Ranelin, and Ralph "Buzzy" Jones are on the album, so...

Sounds like a good recommendation from a poster I'm coming to have a lot of respect for.

I've never heard of this album or of him. Is it still available? Details. please!

Sounds like a good recommendation from a poster I'm coming to have a lot of respect for.

I've never heard of this album or of him. Is it still available? Details. please!

:blush: Reciprocated.

I don't know if it's in print, but it's certainly still available. I've seen it all over the cut-out bins (which shouldn't be an indication of quality). It's real cheap on Amazon: The End Of A Century

If I remember correctly, the cover has David in a black suit with a head-mic. It looks sort of cheesy, but the music is sincere. I'm actually somewhat surprised that a jazz-oriented Cherry hasn't been making the rounds (I'd love to hear him in a group with, say, Denardo...).

To summarize--good album, great personnel, very capable playing. Be warned, though: if I recall correctly, there's a lot of melodica.

Edited by ep1str0phy

If I remember correctly, the cover has David in a black suit with a head-mic. It looks sort of cheesy, but the music is sincere. I'm actually somewhat surprised that a jazz-oriented Cherry hasn't been making the rounds (I'd love to hear him in a group with, say, Denardo...).

And Ravi?

To summarize--good album, great personnel, very capable playing. Be warned, though: if I recall correctly, there's a lot of melodica.

A chip off the old block.

And Ravi?

A chip off the old block.

And just like with Don, it works.