Art Ensemble 1967/68

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montrose-Jump-On-It-264336.jpg

(No offense to Chuck but) while his cover may be lacking in comparison I think the music is just a wee bit better than that Montrose album. :D

Given the great personal sacrifice (a good chuck of your album collection to finance this right?) made to put out this release a big congrats to Mr. Nessa!

Montrose-Jump-On-It-264336.jpg

(No offense to Chuck but) while his cover may be lacking in comparison I think the music is just a wee bit better than that Montrose album. :D

Agree re: the music, but I think the box would have sold out faster with a cover like that.

Unless the equivilent image is a tight shot of Roscoe Mitchell in a Speedo... :o:wacko:

Edited by RDK

I've never heard the AEC.  Is there a single CD that may be representative of their early recordings?  I would like to try a small sample before purchasing a box set.

The BYG recordings are really good (A Jackson in Your House/Reece and the Smooth Ones/Message to Our Folks) but in my humble opinion, the Nessa set captures the true essence of the AEC. It's MUST HAVE SHIT plain and simple. Buy it now before it's too late!!! :unsure:

I've never heard the AEC.  Is there a single CD that may be representative of their early recordings?  I would like to try a small sample before purchasing a box set.

get the box. It's the best of their early recordings, and it's ltd ed. if you insist on a single disc, however, People in Sorrow is a nice choice. Not as visceral as most of the box but powerful just the same