The End Days Are Near

Soul Stream

Those 45 comps are a seemingly bottomless pit. Some hold real treasures, some real trash, and some both. I'd not dismiss any of them out of hand, although it depends on what you're looking for as to what you're likely to find. Sometimes it can be something as small as a really wacked-out drummer (or guitarist, or whatever) on an otherwise totally mundane cut. For some people, that's worth the cost of admission by itself. I've got less disposable income than them, but hey...

Looks like something I'd buy. :w

The best funk 45 compilations I've found are on the Soul Patrol and Electrostatic labels. The latest ones I bought from Dusty Groove are called "The First Days Of Funk" from the Electrostatic folks. Definitely a few gems in there, but the majority are filler. The Soul Patrol "Natural Funky" series was much more consistent.

I've found the majority of even the best funk 45 comps less than worthy. Ya know, there was areason the JBs and the Meters were the best! Some stuff, yeah, great and different. But mostly it's just for guys who collect and collect and collect until they're satisfied they've got the most obscure shit in the world of funk...regardless of what the music's about. This Dutch 45 funk comp. just sent me over the edge. Aren't we done with this yet?!

Labeling Vitesse or Hans van Hemert as "Dutch Rare Groove" is really stretching it... Most of the stuff on this comp is Salvation Army dollar bin fodder over here, except for a couple of records that are truly rare.

Anyway, I enjoy some of those rare groove compilations, but they certainly can be hit-or-miss, and the sound samples from this comp sound like generic jazzfunk-by-the-numbers. I've heard much better and more original sounding stuff on comps with records from Eastern European countries.

A lot of those sought-after funk records that command high prices on Ebay don't live up to the hype as well. To me, the only one that really lives up to its reputation is that Stark Reality record. That album is wicked. :)

Edited by DatDere

Looks like something I'd buy. :w

The best funk 45 compilations I've found are on the Soul Patrol and Electrostatic labels.  The latest ones I bought from Dusty Groove are called "The First Days Of Funk" from the Electrostatic folks.  Definitely a few gems in there, but the majority are filler.  The Soul Patrol "Natural Funky" series was much more consistent.

Hah! My very first thought, Jon, was that this was something you'd dig. :lol:

Pretty cool Shag (or Shag-swipe) cover on the disc.

O,K...now that the crate diggers of the world have exhausted all plausable groove compilation ideas....we finally get the hype from the bastards about this crap.  Wish I could recite the bogus hype that DG conjurs up for this thing, but read it for yourself on their site...

They really sell more of this type of stuff than jazz. The jazz section of the Bastards is rather small with a larger selection of soul, dance, funk, latin and what have you!

m~

BTW, samples of this stuff can be found here (needs some mediaplayer plug-in).

Jerry van Rooyen kicks some mean ass I tell you.

Right! And while you're at it, check out track 11

RONALD SNIJDERS

"Lennox (edit)"

:bwallace2:

Even better (worse) is track 23

HANS VAN HEMERT

"De Glazen Stad"

Translation please?

Edited by Joe G

HANS VAN HEMERT

"De Glazen Stad"

Translation please?

The Glass City, I think... (City of Glass?)

yup and the little snippet sez:

"...and one day later, Huib is underway as co-driver to Copenhagen"

Don't know what that is all about, but it made me spray some coffee

De Glazen Stad was a series on Dutch TV in 1968, about people working in the Dutch glass-house horticulture situated in the Westland region of the Netherlands. Van Hemert's tune was the theme song.

Edited by J.A.W.

HANS VAN HEMERT

"De Glazen Stad"

Translation please?

De Glazen Stad was a series on Dutch TV in 1968, about people working in Dutch glass-house horticulture. Van Hemert's tune was the theme song.

proof once more that Hans is older than I am... ;)

HANS VAN HEMERT

"De Glazen Stad"

Translation please?

De Glazen Stad was a series on Dutch TV in 1968, about people working in Dutch glass-house horticulture. Van Hemert's tune was the theme song.

proof once more that Hans is older than I am... ;)

Oh yeah :wacko:

Maybe I could put together something for our pal Soul Stream. 

Soul Stream, I've got some stuff that approaches Meters & JB's quality, at least!

Noj,

I've heard that before from local Funk 45 Nazis, but these little groups never live up in totality to the big names. I'm not saying there were not good bands. The Texas Funk comp. is a good example of that, but as good as Sunny & The Sunliners are, they weren't the JBs or The Meters. As good as Jimmy Dawkins is, he ain't no Buddy Guy, ect. There's a reason the best are the best and most widely recorded. There are some interesting obscure funk 45's no doubt (hey, Gabe Roth from Daptone has made a career off the obsession with this stuff), but this condition of the Funk 45 Collector is getting ridiculous. We are scraping the bottom of the vinyl barrel imho. Put on "Sex Machine" and be done with it! But to each his own :g

Edited by Soul Stream