Jimmy Lyons Live Box Set

Guest Chaney

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is part of the Cecil Taylor appearance on the French TV film 'Les Grandes Répétitions' produced by Luc Ferrari and filmed by Gérard Patris, when French TV was producing ambitious shows. The Youtube sequence comes from a bad video boot. The original video is part of the INA vaults and is way better!

Now that INA is releasing scores of videos from the vaults, I hope they release the Cecil Taylor film as well as other invaluable films from 'Les Grandes Répétitions' series (those include films on Karlheinz Stockhausen, Edgard Varese, Hermann Scherchen and Olivier Messiaen).

I was fortunate to be able to attend the making of the Cecil Taylor film which was shot inside a 17th Century building on the majestic Place des Vosges (formerly Place Royale) in the heart of Paris. A full three day experience. One of my best jazz memories!

• 2 months later...

Listening to this again now, I first bought it when it came out. Have to say this is probably the very best box set I own, and I own a lot. I return to it way more often than I do any Mosaic, any of the Miles boxes, Coltrane boxes, etc. The only other contender would be the Ornette Atlantic box, but seriously, anyone who likes this kind of music at all and doesn't have this material (and where else would you get it?) and can afford it should jump all over this one. You won't regret it.

Edited by Face of the Bass

Hope Ayler Records will survive now that Jan Strom is no longer part of the label!

I just visited the Ayler Records site and noticed that they're now based in Limours, France. What happened to Jan Ström and when did they move?

Edited by J.A.W.

Hope Ayler Records will survive now that Jan Strom is no longer part of the label!

I just visited the Ayler Records site and noticed that they're now based in Limours, France. What happened to Jan Ström and when did they move?

Jan Ström retired last year. His former French partner Stéphane Berland took over and rebased the company in Limours, southwest of Paris.

Jan Ström retired last year. His former French partner Stéphane Berland took over and rebased the company in Limours, southwest of Paris.

Thanks Guy.

Here's the mail Jan Ström sent out in December 2008:

Dear Ayler / Silkheart customer,

From January 2009, Ayler Records will be run by my friend Stephane Berland in France.

The storage of Ayler CDs is now moved to France but there could be a “vacuum” for shipments during some weeks.

Stephane has during many years made the sleeve designs and managed the two web sites and he will run the label as usual. The address to Stephane is the normal one: ayler@ayler.com and the catalogue can always be checked at www.ayler.com.

The Silkheart records are also to be ordered from Stephane. Catalogue at www.silkheart.se.

However, there may occur delays in the transition period.

I will still take part in the work with Ayler/Silkheart and I will for instance continue to make hardcopies of the Ayler “Download – Only” (DL) catalogue for those who want to have these as complete CD-Rs instead of doing the download work.

I also have a small storage of “Ayler Records Artist” T-shirts and some 2 Gb Memory sticks with the Ayler Records logo.

Important: If you want to order any of these items from me, the address from now on is: formtex[at]algonet.se or jan[at]ayler.com.

I thank you for the great communication we have had during some 8 years and I’m sure you will see many interesting releases from Stephane in the future.

Wishing you a great holiday season,

Jan Ström

Box 20

SE-61040 Gusum

Sweden

+46-(0)123-20531

formtex[at]algonet.se

jan[at]ayler.com

• 7 months later...