Jimmy Lyons Live Box Set

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

I just thought I'd share a message that I received from Jan Strom of Ayler Records regarding the upcoming release of the limited edition Jimmy Lyons live box set:

We are now on the final step before ordering and manufacturing - checking, checking and checking.  So, I'm quite optimistic that we'll see the box earlier than I (for the last months) had planned - which was October / November.

I'm also finishing a CDR wiith an updated edition of "Jimmy Lyons - A Sessionogrophy".  This is only for PC and is made utilizing Word.  This should be available at the same time as the Lyons box. 

Thanks for your interest.  I will send you a message when the set is ready.

Kind regards.

Jan

www.ayler.com

www.silkheart.se

As this is a limited edition set - and word of this set has been out there now for quite a few months - those interested should pre-order NOW by sending an e-mail to Jan. All pre-orders are 'provisional' as the cost of the set is still (?) unknown.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaney

Here's a few posts from Jan to the now archived Jazz Corner:

September 2, 2002: Hope it is of interest to know that later this year we (Ayler Records) will release a Jimmy Lyons box including 5 or 6 CDs with unreleased live concerts of Jimmy Lyons' groups from solo performance to quintets. The concerts are recorded from 1972 to 1985. (It's since been made know that the set will be 5 CDs . -ed)

November 2, 2002: A new version of Jump Up is now on the Wire Tapper No 09 from our forthcoming box as a taste. w. Borca and Paul Murphy from Geneva 1984

November 3, 2002: It will definitely be a limited edition of about 500 boxes - max 700. We already have a list for provisisional (due to the price) pre-ordered boxes. You are wellcome to give me an email above

Perhaps I haven't heard enough Lyons to take the plunge on this, but I've just got Cecil Taylor - 'Mixed', and love Lyons on that. I can see that this is pretty early Lyons, but are there any other recommendations for Jimmy Lyons' stuff? I've got the two CT BNs, and the track which appears on Wildflowers vol4...

Thanks in advance!

Guest Chaney

BURNT OFFERING on Black Saint (duets with Andrew Cyrille) and JUMP UP on Hat Hut (w/Sunny  Murray and John Lindberg) if you can find 'em.

My pal Hans was just recently able to supply me with a copy of "Jump Up" (hatART 6139) which I believe he obtained from HMV Japan.

There's so little materail with Lyons as leader / co-leader / ostensible leader that there's no reason not to hunt ALL of it down. Of the material I own ("Jump Up", "Wee Sneezawee", "Give It Up", "Something In Return" and "Burnt Offering") there's not a stinker in the bunch. (Except for "Jump Up", you can often get really good deals on these on eBay. Cecil Taylor's "One Too Many Salty Swift And Not Goodbye" has been going for not-at-all shocking prices on eBay and "Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come" is getting easier to find - after being scarce for a time.)

Lyons was (IS!) the real deal.

Jimmy Lyons' first album as a leader 'Other Afternoon' for the Byg label

(with Lester Bowie, Alan Silva and Andrew Cyrille) is really worth seeking. Not sure

it was among the recent Byg reissues on CD.

This was recorded in Paris in 1969 when Lyons, Cyrille (and Sam Rivers) were playing

with the Cecil Taylor Unit. Cecil Taylor was approached to record for Byg but he and

Sam Rivers wisely refused to have anything to do with that label.

Lyons was very eager to record under his name at the time and did not let this

opportunity go past.

'Other Afternoon' is a splendid album.

Guest Chaney

I wonder if anyone can comment on the following Joel Futterman sets - all of which feature Jimmy Lyons and, except for "Moments", all of which are impossible (?) to find.

1984 "Inneraction", Joel Futterman Quartet with Jimmy Lyons. JDF Records JDF-3

1990 "Inner Conversations", Joel Futterman Trio with Jimmy Lyons. Ear-Rational Records 1019

1990 "In-Between Positions", Joel Futterman Trio with Jimmy Lyons. Bellaphon Records 45018

1990 "Moments", Joel Futterman Quartet with Jimmy Lyons. Ear-Rational Records 1024

1991 "Passage", Joel Futterman Quintet with Jimmy Lyons. Konnex Records 1026

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aylCD-036 - 040

Jimmy Lyons

The Box Set

Jimmy Lyons, as

Karen Borca, bassoon (39,40)

Hayes Burnett, b (36,37,38)

Henry Letcher, dr (37)

Raphé Malik, tp (36)

Paul Murphy, dr (39,40)

William Parker, b (40)

Sidney Smart, dr (36)

36. Jimmy Lyons Quartet Studio Rivbea, NYC, September, 1972 (75:34)

Lyons with Hayes Burnett, b; Raphé Malik, tp; Sidney Smart, dr

37. Jimmy Lyons Trio Studio Rivbea, NYC, June 30, 1975 (78:42)

Lyons with Hayes Burnett, b ; Henry Letcher, dr

38. Jimmy Lyons Trio Studio Rivbea, NYC, June 30, 1975 (13:36)

Lyons with Hayes Burnett, b

Jimmy Lyons solo Soundscape, NYC, April 9, 1981 (65:00)

39. Jimmy Lyons Trio Geneva, Switzerland, May 12, 1984 (55:23)

Lyons with Karen Borca, bassoon; Paul Murphy, dr

Jimmy Lyons Interview NYC, July 27, 1978 (11:41)

40. Jimmy Lyons Quartet Tufts Uni. Medford, MA Feb. 12, 1985 (75:50)

Lyons with Karen Borca, bassoon; Paul Murphy, dr; William Parker, b

Total time: 375:46

Price per 5CD box:

SEK 825

EURO 90

UK£ 65

US$ 95

Cost for shipment will be added in accordance with the price list from the Swedish Post Offices, air mail if nothing else is requested, and you will be notified about the price when we confirm your order.

END

I have an e-mail in to Jan Strom asking if he's ready to accept orders.

This received from Jan Strom on September 1:

Hi Tony,

The box is supposed to arrive mid this week and I will then just check that everything is ok and if so, we'll release the set at once.  If something is wrong, there will of course be a delay of X weeks but it will be released sooner or later for sure.  So, it is up to you if you want to pay now or not. PayPal is fine.  Those who have pre-paid will be mailed the set the same day we release it.

I enclose the release info for you. This is the info I will send out to all who are placed on the pre-ordering list and there is a 25 % reduction in price as a thank you for your support.

But, remember that the box is NOT yet released!!!!

Kind regards

Jan

This from the announcement sheet:

A 64 pages comprehensive booklet with liner notes by Ben Young and Ed Hazell and unpublished photographs is placed in the box.

As you have supported us by placing you on our pre-ordering list, we will reduce our official web site price with about 25 % for you.

Including shipping, the price for your box is:

SEK    680

Euro    75

UK £    55

US $    80

For those interested in discographical details, an updated version of  “Jimmy Lyons A Sessionography” is at the same time available on CD-R for PC, Microsoft, Word.

Shipped at the same time as the box, your price is SEK 100, EURO 11, £7 or US$ 13.

When ordering, please let us know how you want to pay; cash, bank transfer, Internet transfer or credit card. We use PayPal for payment with credit card. For checks there is an extra charge.

Don’t forget to confirm your post address!

Thank you for your very appreciated support!

Kind regards

Jan Ström

A bit of an update for the untold thousands of you following this thread ( :rolleyes::D ) - Jan responds to my suggestion (yea, like I'm telling him something he doesn't already know!) that he listen to the finished set before shipping it out -- with reminders of the Cecil Taylor "2 Ts for a lovely T" and Mosaic Select Grachan Moncur troubles:

It is exactly as you say which makes me not promise a specific release date! Let's say that they have mixed up the CD labels!!! (Have you heard about Mr. Murphy?).

The sets are not numbered.

Just had a message from Sony that the shipment is delayed to next week! See what I mean?

Kind regards

Jan

ubu:

Amazon was selling the Cecil Taylor box? "2 Ts for a lovely T"? I had no idea.

Problem was that the music on CD2 and CD7 was identical. Mnytime seems to have made the discovery and I made the call to Mole alerting them to the problem. Of course, Mny remembers it a bit differently...

My second extremely small Cecil Taylor related discovery I made was the defective duplicate 7th disc on the Feel Trio Box 2 T's for a lovely T.

<_<

Tony, I got mine from amazon.fr. Before I ordered it, it said, "Order fast, only 2 left", when I had ordered one, gone it was. It's not even listed as "not available any more" now. Left no traces...

Checked my discs 2 and 7. They clock in at more than 40 and some 32 minutes, respectively, so I guess they should be correct. (I have not yet come further than disc 2 in listening, as I only have the box for two or three weeks now).

And :mellow: , that was a thread *I* started, where this was discussed, and I couldn't remember anymore, not even when I searched for Taylor, it came to my mind... guess I need a new one!

...and I appreciate your -just wanted to say, forget it!- help!

thanks!

ubu

Jimmy Lyons

The Box Set

Now it's here!

We are happy to inform you about this release and we hope that you will enjoy it - more than 6 hours of Jimmy Lyons' music.

We are very thankful to you for your kind support in this project and if you enjoy the music and the work we have done in order to present Jimmy Lyons, we hope that you'll support us again by telling your friends to visit their record shops to get their boxes or to order direct from us.

Those of you who already have pre-paid - the box is in the mail to you!

Kind regards

The Ayler Records Team

Jan, Åke, Ellinor and Per

ayler.com@ayler.com

:party:

I just saw this posted by Jan "elsewhere" and thought some here would be interested:

"This is the info on the underside of the box:

Jimmy Lyons ayler records

The Box Set aylCD- 036- 040

www.ayler.com

Jimmy Lyons, as

Karen Borca, bassoon (39,40)

Hayes Burnett, b (36,37,38)

Henry Letcher, dr (37)

Raphé Malik, tp (36)

Paul Murphy, dr (39,40)

William Parker, b (40)

Sidney Smart, dr (36)