Julian Priester's "Love, Love" finally on Cd

Hello,

This is my first post and I don't know how many jazz rockers are here, but there's been a tremendous amount of activity in the jazz rock area recently. Besides the new tribute recordings by Jeff Richman for Miles, Mahavishnu, and Weather Report, Garaj Mahal released their second studio recording "Blueberry Cave", and Adam Holzman's newest release "Jazz Rocket Science" just came out.

garajmahal.gif

holzman.gif

there's been some great re-issues too.

Julian Priester's classic "Love, Love" with Bill Connors and Eric Gravatt

lovelove.gif

and Horacee Arnold's classic "Tales of the Exonerated Flea" with Jan Hammer, Rick Laird, and John Abercrombie.

arnold.gif

All of these are available at www.abstractlogix.com and probably at www.audiophileimports.com too.

Gene Perla is close to finishing the remastering and releasing Steve Grossman's classic "Some Shapes to Come" with Jan Hammer, which will be released by

www.pmrecords.org

Also, while it's not available domestically, you can order Dave Liebman's classic "Drum Ode" directly from ECM records.

The albums I'm waiting to be released on CD are "Maracaibo" by George Ohtsuka with Mirslav Vitous (I've had the vinyl since it first came out and it's a Jazz Rock treasure),

maracaibo.gif

Hal Galper's classic "Now Hear This" with Terumasa Hino and Tony Williams

galper.gif

VSOP "Five Stars" a Direct to Disk album released only in Japan,

vsop.gif

and George Duke's "Faces in Reflection" plus "Feel"

faces.gif

duke.gif

If anyone knows about these recordings on Cd, I'd love to find out how to get them.

Best wishes,

Rick

Edited by wenospeak

Hello Wenospeak. Very nice post, thank you. I agree that the Galper is a very nice work, and that the early George Duke stuff was pretty great - a shame that he sold out. There has been much positive buzz on the site about the Priester, and the Arnold is certainly nice to have back in print.

Welcome to the board! Some nice albums you have listed - I have lived with half of them since they were newly released, got me the Arnold immediately when it was reissued. Hope for the second LP "Tribe".

The Duke LPs never were on CD, AFAIK, only the subsequent MPS LPs - no idea why - the first was excellent. Since Frank Zappa guests on "Feel" the Zappa estate may have an expensive hand on this.

What label is that George Ohtsuka reissued on, and when was it recorded?

Welcome to the board! Some nice albums you have listed - I have lived with half of them since they were newly released, got me the Arnold immediately when it was reissued. Hope for the second LP "Tribe".

The Duke LPs never were on CD, AFAIK, only the subsequent MPS LPs - no idea why - the first was excellent. Since Frank Zappa guests on "Feel" the Zappa estate may have an expensive hand on this.

What label is that George Ohtsuka reissued on, and when was it recorded?

The Ohtsuka was never released on Cd, that I know of, and here's the back cover:

Maracaibob.gif

I read somewhere in this forum and at Sudo's Spiral Quest pages that the Now Hear This by Hal Galper WAS re-issued on CD by Crown Records in 1990, but have had no luck tracking it down. Anyone have info on this reissue?

Regarding Live in Tokyo, the explanation is always the same - if the big record companies think there's money in it, they'll do it. I mean, does anyone think the Mahavishnu "Trident Sessions" tapes were ever really "lost"? And who was the picklepuss that decided to release Herbie Hancock's "Dedication", "Direct Step", and "Solo Piano" (originally Japan vinyl only) on Cd and NOT "VSOP Five Stars"???? Hmmm... I'm getting all heated up again...

Rick

P.S. No knock on the Hancock Cd's that WERE released (well, maybe direct step)...

Guest akanalog

i too woud like to check out the george ohtsuka album.

i think it has been on CD but finding japanese CDs from here in the US is frustrating.

i have searched for it with no luck.

those george duke albums are great but MPS has one of the most brutal reissue things going i have seen-reissue EVERY oscar peterson and hans koller and nothing else really.

there are some good jazz rock or fusioney albums by others on MPS too which could definitely deserve reissue as well.

i love the george duke albums. i get such a good vibe from his playing and i think he was a true master of electric keyboards.

Guest akanalog

come to think of it--perhaps duke has a bad relationship with MPS now because i recall he sued them to keep them from releasing his solo piano album back in the 70s. dunno if that could be a factor?

come to think of it--perhaps duke has a bad relationship with MPS now because i recall he sued them to keep them from releasing his solo piano album back in the 70s.  dunno if that could be a factor?

That might very well be the issue, because they haven't followed the usual pattern after an artist leaves a label and then becomes a success, and there's no doubt that Duke became quite successful after leaving them.

Usually, after an artist leaves a label and then becomes a "success", that's when stuff from the vault comes out, so the record company can cash in on the artists success. Remember the albums that came out on CTI AFTER George Benson's Breezin, but were recorded BEFORE?

For a moment there, I thought someone had finally reissued G.Duke's 'Faces...' and 'Feel', but then realized it was just a "wanted list"... :(

Hey what are those Galper and the Horacee Arnold (with Hammer) like?

Answer to Stefan, as far as 'Love, Love' is concerned, I believe it is reissued by ECM, and is easily available from Amazon for example.

BTW, someone criticized the release policy on a few obscure Hancock albums. I personally (and totally unbiased...check my avatar) think that both 'Dedication' and 'Solo Piano' are important releases in the Hancock canon. Even though Solo Piano isn't really that special - it's probably my least favorite HH release - it's still something he hasn't done that much. The same goes for Dedication, which is valuable as a document of an interesting experiment. Plus there's some killer Rhodes solos in there... 'Direct Step' is just fun! The 15+ min version of the loveboat-ish disco vocoder tune "I Thought It Was You" is just so cool! :bwallace: