Cal Tjader - Good Vibes

mikeweil

Concord Picante CJP-247 - Cal Tjader - Good Vibes

Does anyone here have this LP or its CD counterpart and can tell me location and exact recording date as stated in the liner credits? I have tracks and personnel.

Was this recorded at the Concord Jazz Festival? Perhaps on tow different occasions, as the credits include both Roger Glenn on flute and Gary Foster on flute, alto, and soprano. If so, who plays on which track?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by mikeweil

Hi Mike,

I only have the two-fer Cool fire where Good Vibes appears as disc2. The liner notes does state Recorded Live at the Concord Jazz Festival, Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA

If you need more information.. let me know.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT:

Mark Levine (p), Rob Fisher (b), Vince Lateano (dr), Poncho Sanchez (cg), Gary Foster (fl), Roger Glenn (fl, per) only on Doxy, Cuban Fantasy, Good vibes

Edited by tjobbe

Hi Mike,

I only have the two-fer Cool fire where Good Vibes appears as disc2. The liner notes does state Recorded Live at the Concord Jazz Festival, Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA

If you need more information.. let me know.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT:

Mark Levine (p), Rob Fisher (b), Vince Lateano (dr), Poncho Sanchez (cg), Gary Foster (fl), Roger Glenn (fl, per) only on Doxy, Cuban Fantasy, Good vibes

Thanks - so it seems to be from two different performances? Or is one of the horns a special guest? Foster is not heard on the tracks Glenn plays on, and plays flute only?

And - are there no recording dates on this twofer?

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Lord v4.4 gives the date as being August 1984.

MG

Now that's complete nonsense, as Tjader died of a heart attack in Manila on the Phillipines on May 5th, 1982 :crazy::o:huh::ph34r:

..... in other words, that was the release date.

You must be right. I just checked to make sure I hadn't misread it - no, that's what it says. You'd have thought someone in his position would have done better than that.

MG

"Yes, I know about this reissue. Was that a CD or LP?"

I have the Savoy Jazz title on an LP. Apparently I don't have that Concord title, so I just ordered it on CD.

On Concord vinyl I do seem to have here only "La Onda Va Bien", "The Shining Sea", and "A Fuego Vivo".

Zeno

• 13 years later...

During the research for the Cal Tjader biography Duncan S. Reid was able to clear the discographical details of these recordings, thanks to Gary Foster, who had kept a notebook with recording and performance dates. The sessions were as follows:

Date: August 8, 1980
Location: Concord Jazz Festival, Concord Pavillon, Concord, California
Label: Concord Picante
Good Vibes

Cal Tjader (ldr), Roger Glenn (f, per), Cal Tjader (vib), Mark Levine (p), Robb Fisher (b), Vince Lateano (d, tim), Poncho Sanchez (cga)

a.   Doxy - 7:05(Sonny Rollins)
Concord CDCCD-4813-2 — The Concord Jazz Heritage Series - Cal Tjader
b.   Cuban Fantasy - 5:20(Ray Bryant)
Concord CDCCD2-2228-2 — The Best Of The Concord Years
c.   Good Vibes - 3:43(Cal Tjader)
All titles on: Concord Picante LP 12"CJP-247 — Good Vibes 
Concord CDCCD2-2205-2 — Cool Fire 
Concord Picante CDCCD-4247-2 — Good Vibes

Vince Lateano (d) on a, c, (tim) on b; Poncho Sanchez (cga) on b-c; Roger Glenn (per) on b.

Information on the recording date was provided by Gary Foster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: August 14, 1981
Location: Concord Jazz Festival, Concord Pavillon, Concord, California
Label: Concord Picante
Good Vibes

Cal Tjader (ldr), Gary Foster (f, ss, as), Cal Tjader (vib), Mark Levine (p), Robb Fisher (b), Vince Lateano (d), Poncho Sanchez (cga)

a.   Guarachi Guaro [aka Soul Sauce] - 6:07(Dizzy Gillespie, Chano Pozo)
Concord CDCCD-4813-2 — The Concord Jazz Heritage Series - Cal Tjader 
b.   Shoshana - 7:07(Mark Levine)
c.   Broadway - 6:06(Bill Bird, Henri Woode, Teddy McRae)
d.   Speak Low - 7:16(Kurt Weill, Ogden Nash)
All titles on: Concord Picante LP 12"CJP-247 — Good Vibes 
Concord CDCCD2-2205-2 — Cool Fire 
Concord Picante CDCCD-4247-2 — Good Vibes

Gary Foster (f) on d, (ss) on a-b, (as) on c.

Information on the recording date was provided by Gary Foster.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was released after Tjader's passing - the label had wanted another Latin Jazz release as the last sessions all had been straightahead settings or sideman dates with singers, but Tjader died before he could attempt a new recording.

Edited by mikeweil