London Jazz Fest 2005

ejp626

Already up for listening on the BBC is a broadcast of 'The Verb', recorded in the Purcell Room of the RFH last Thursday. A nice 'warm up' hour before the Wilson concert, this features a very nice Norma Winstone vocal in duet with pianist Gareth Williams plus nice playing from Stan Sultzmann and a spoken record review of 'In A Silent Way' by John Walters.

The Verb

Just heard on the grapevine that on Friday after performing the last gig of their residency at the Shaw Theatre, Harry Connick Jnr and Branford Marsalis later arrived with their crew a small club, the Octave in Endell Street, Covent Garden for a late supper. After listening to some local musicians finishing their sets (Estelle Kokot and Emma Blake), Marsalis and Connick then got up on stage and performed for the club audience.

BTW, I sat behind Gerald's wife and daughter for the secondhalf of the show, and found myself clapping harder than normal to compensate for the lowish turnout. 

Wow !

I was up on row 3 right in front of Gerald - even up at the front there were a significant number of spaces which were free. Criminal, really..

The guitarist was Phil Robson - I thought he soloed really well but when not soloing he sat down/retreated to the back so I missed the possible bored expression.

I think the band did really well, considering the limited rehearsal time and demanding charts. Better than I could have expected, actually. 'Viva Tirado' could have done with a bit more US 'swagger'.

Yes, the CD sound is a bit on the 'thin' side after the live show but I think it's a good one. Those orchestrations have to be heard live to be really fully appreciated.

Who knows if and when Gerald will be back over here? I truly hope so - apparently I hear his itinery through 2006 is looking pretty full.

...we swagger :huh: ????

;)

• 1 month later...

They've now archived what they will archive from the 2005 London Jazz Fest. No idea how long it will last, but probably several months.

2005 London Jazz Fest

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzfest2005/index.shtml)

I am particularly stoked about the Tord Gustavsen concert, since I recorded most of it off the radio but missed a 20 minute section.

Tord

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazzfest2005/gustavsen.shtml)

Then click "Listen to the gig" to listen in RealPlayer.

The TinHat set is also pretty interesting.

I'm going to make an effort to get to more of the 2006 gigs.

Is there a way to convert the RAM feed into MP3s? I'm dumb with this stuff, but would like to hear/save the Frisell set (a tribute to John Lennon?)...

There are a number of programs that handle RAM feed or pretty much anything else, then spit it out as a WAV file for you to edit, burn, convert to MP3, whatver. There's probably already a thread on this.

I use TotalRecorder myself, then CD Wave to edit. The only drawback is that not surprisingly you record in real time, and I find that sometimes having RealPlayer and TotalRecorder going at the same time makes it hard to do anything else, so I often set it up to record for a few hours through the night.